Category 1 | Page 4 | Vital Football

Category 1

Just for a bit of context (without wanting to damper any of our enthusiasm) Daniel Taylor @ The Athletic posted this in today's Q&A (after, I stress, emphasising his own enthusiasm for how great it is we're moving into cat 1).

Derby academy, cat 1 status: 2014

Leicester, Blackburn, Reading: 2013

Aston Villa, Wolves, West Brom, Ipswich, Sunderland, Norwich (and many others): all 2012

Don’t think I’m being a misery … it’s clearly very encouraging that we have joined this group. It’s a reminder that Marinakis has deep pockets. And it will clearly be to the benefit of the club.

Equally, let’s not get TOO carried away. We’re playing catch-up here. A lot of similar sized clubs did this eight or nine years ago so, overall, we have been very slow off the mark.

The last time I went to the academy building, it was full of dedicated, brilliant, intelligent staff. But, bloody hell, the whole training ground is a pretty cramped set-up and a long way behind some of the other Championship clubs.

I can remember when the takeover happened in 2017 I went down to the CG to meet the relevant people and, by the time I left that meeting, I think I almost floated out of the ground. It was so exciting. And one of the projects that was discussed as a fact was a new state-of-the-art training ground (with academy).

Maybe I was a bit naive to believe everything I was told - but at least the club have realised, four years in, that we can’t continue operating as Cat 2. And, yes, give Brazil a lifetime's contract.

Just for a bit of context (without wanting to damper any of our enthusiasm) Daniel Taylor @ The Athletic posted this in today's Q&A (after, I stress, emphasising his own enthusiasm for how great it is we're moving into cat 1).

Derby academy, cat 1 status: 2014

Leicester, Blackburn, Reading: 2013

Aston Villa, Wolves, West Brom, Ipswich, Sunderland, Norwich (and many others): all 2012

Don’t think I’m being a misery … it’s clearly very encouraging that we have joined this group. It’s a reminder that Marinakis has deep pockets. And it will clearly be to the benefit of the club.

Equally, let’s not get TOO carried away. We’re playing catch-up here. A lot of similar sized clubs did this eight or nine years ago so, overall, we have been very slow off the mark.

The last time I went to the academy building, it was full of dedicated, brilliant, intelligent staff. But, bloody hell, the whole training ground is a pretty cramped set-up and a long way behind some of the other Championship clubs.

I can remember when the takeover happened in 2017 I went down to the CG to meet the relevant people and, by the time I left that meeting, I think I almost floated out of the ground. It was so exciting. And one of the projects that was discussed as a fact was a new state-of-the-art training ground (with academy).

Maybe I was a bit naive to believe everything I was told - but at least the club have realised, four years in, that we can’t continue operating as Cat 2. And, yes, give Brazil a lifetime's contract.

You would need to be a right fat fucker to fall for that horse shite

I didn't think the EPP existed while Doughty was owner did it?

It commenced during the 2012/13 season; however, Doughty and his pet poodle were heavily involved in the discussions leading up to the formation of the Eppp.

If I remember correctly, the concept was floated a good 2 seasons prior to it being formed; the proposals were so controversial they met widespread opposition from the EFL.

Once the 72 found out that future funding depended on the implementation of the proposals, most of them caved in.

It commenced during the 2012/13 season; however, Doughty and his pet poodle were heavily involved in the discussions leading up to the formation of the Eppp.

If I remember correctly, the concept was floated a good 2 seasons prior to it being formed; the proposals were so controversial they met widespread opposition from the EFL.

Once the 72 found out that future funding depended on the implementation of the proposals, most of them caved in.
But surely the decision to settle for Cat 2 wouldn't have been Doughty's would it?

The PL was witholding solidarity payments.

He's been owner for 4 years, applications are made on a 3 year cycle.
The first year he hardly had his feet under the table and was also in court with the previous owner.

Hes been effective in planning for the last 3 years, as Gary Brazil acknowledges and the award pays testament to.

But surely the decision to settle for Cat 2 wouldn't have been Doughty's would it?

It would have been.

Although the audit cycle is once every three years, the audit process takes nearly a full year to complete.

Our application for Cat 1, for example, would have commenced well over a year ago.

Last edited: