Race Issues/Riots/Protests/BLM | Page 151 | Vital Football

Race Issues/Riots/Protests/BLM

Noticed the same during an ad break on BT recently, out of around 7 adverts, 6 of them featured exclusively black actors. It's a bit bizarre in a country that has a 3.5% of black people.

Same in Ireland where if I walk around Dublin, so many advertisements for big shopping centres and supermarkets always seem to feature a mixed race looking girl with a big frizzy afro. Black population 1.5%.

Not complaining, of course, just an observation of utter PC lunacy.
I was talking to mrs57 the other day about this very thing, they seem to be overdoing it in the UK. I'm all for proportional representation ie 50% women on TV but not 50% minorities.

Noticed the same during an ad break on BT recently, out of around 7 adverts, 6 of them featured exclusively black actors. It's a bit bizarre in a country that has a 3.5% of black people.

Same in Ireland where if I walk around Dublin, so many advertisements for big shopping centres and supermarkets always seem to feature a mixed race looking girl with a big frizzy afro. Black population 1.5%.

Not complaining of course, just an observation of utter PC lunacy.
You missed out the bit where every advert has to have a black bloke married to a white woman.
Again, its the corporates gone into overdrive, to protect their product.
It hasnt even occured to them that they are pissing everybody else off.

Not complaining of course, just an observation of utter PC lunacy.
I think there's a deep neurosis about how we think about race in this country to be honest.

I was talking to mrs57 the other day about this very thing, they seem to be overdoing it in the UK. I'm all for proportional representation ie 50% women on TV but not 50% minorities.

I read a while back that minorities and the LGBT community are way over-represented on UK television. It's pretty clear if you watch TV to be honest. But apparently that's not enough for some.

Don't see many Chinese people on TV. Strange that.
It does seem to me ethnic minority does seem to equal black.
But with all the BLM stuff I'm not surprised.

You missed out the bit where every advert has to have a black bloke married to a white woman.
Again, its the corporates gone into overdrive, to protect their product.
It hasnt even occured to them that they are pissing everybody else off.

I was going to post a similar thing, there was a spell where every family on an advert had a black dad, a white mum, and two mixed race kids wasn’t there

I sort of get why they do that, as they don’t want to encourage a PR disaster where they are accused as being for the white folk only as some arse would say.

The whole positive discrimination thing where it is so obvious that they are just trying to tick boxes such as the programmes recently, seems to just wind people up because it’s so obvious what they’re doing. It’s also arguably unfair on those who get overlooked because they don’t tick the box even if they are more talented or better at the job. Naturally if you had four contestants on a show and one was non-white, you’d over index on that anyway.

Like I say, it genuinely doesn’t bother me what they do on TV, but I do think it does reinforce the divides unfortunately when it swings so far the other way - as with everything.

I was going to post a similar thing, there was a spell where every family on an advert had a black dad, a white mum, and two mixed race kids wasn’t there

I sort of get why they do that, as they don’t want to encourage a PR disaster where they are accused as being for the white folk only as some arse would say.

The whole positive discrimination thing where it is so obvious that they are just trying to tick boxes such as the programmes recently, seems to just wind people up because it’s so obvious what they’re doing. It’s also arguably unfair on those who get overlooked because they don’t tick the box even if they are more talented or better at the job. Naturally if you had four contestants on a show and one was non-white, you’d over index on that anyway.

Like I say, it genuinely doesn’t bother me what they do on TV, but I do think it does reinforce the divides unfortunately when it swings so far the other way - as with everything.
Agree.
Then you have the deliberate baiting by the media, and I am thinking here Channel five using a black women to play Anne Boleyn.

I read a while back that minorities and the LGBT community are way over-represented on UK television. It's pretty clear if you watch TV to be honest. But apparently that's not enough for some.
Minorities are over represented in certain domains as well, is this a problem? Being obsessed with proportional representation isn't the right way to think about a lot of things.

Don't see many Chinese people on TV. Strange that.
It does seem to me ethnic minority does seem to equal black.
But with all the BLM stuff I'm not surprised.

I watch Cbeebies with the grandkids and they actually do have a deliberate mix of White Black Asian Chinese, disabled kids and adults and even the gay couples with a baby. Proper attempt at PC
They were teaching kids about different coloured people one morning.
Why? Kids don't notice colour at all at that age, why bring it up? We don't.
My Granddaughter is nearly 5 and her best friend at school is the only brown kid in the class of 16, he's either mixed race or asian , she's not even mentioned his colour so we don't . No need to is there. They don't need to be taught stuff like that at 4 years old and definitely not at 2 years old.

Minorities are over represented in certain domains as well, is this a problem? Being obsessed with proportional representation isn't the right way to think about a lot of things.

No, but clearly diversity and inclusiveness are not brand new fads created by the woke in 2016, there has been over representation for many years, and there is nothing wrong with that.

The problem is not acknowledging that this is the case and acting as if minorities and other groups are still marginalised in media.

I think some of you over think it. Be glad when I can say fuck it, get up, get out, live... Instead of sweating the stuff that really doesn't matter.

I just find it amusing knowing what decision makers at companies stereotypically look like. These things do cause outrage which we saw with something Sainsburys did that was very woke a few months ago, then you get a Karen online kicking off about it in a non-PC way - which does then get embarrassing for us white folk.

As with all things in life usually, in moderation!

If they are there via merit. Yes. You are bang on. Totally agree.
If someone is talented and fun to watch I don't care what race they are. Don't even enter my head.
But the question has to be asked when you get 4 talentless black women hosting a programme or Alison Hammond presenting this morning who has absolute zero talent then it does get frustrating

But the question has to be asked when you get 4 talentless black women hosting a programme or Alison Hammond presenting this morning who has absolute zero talent then it does get frustrating

Just quoted your post Col because of the Hammond mention :thumbup:

Honestly, I pay no attention to adverts now...I watch everything on TV with a delay so I can fast forward. Even when I happen to catch one, the 'family make up or colour or whether it's all men or all women - I fail to see how anyone can get wound up about that?

I see Dan's point about the 'behind closed doors talk' that produces all of this and what decisions they take thinking more about 'what might be least damaging' probably more than 'what's right for the product' - so I agree in as far as it's predominantly old, white, blokes sitting in a room thinking more about their pensions than the product and they just work from a list of ticks that's less likely to get them sacked.

The fallout from that is people then see offence in what's presented (the more extreme use it as further proof of how the UK has gone to the dogs and it definitely fuels the whites are under attack bollocks) - but again, why get offended about whether a black, white, asian, african, man, woman, trans, disabled, bald, blonde, brunette, red head is trying to sell you something 99% of the time you know you are never going to buy?

If they suddenly advertised blob pads with 4 white, villa fan blokes who were chanting 'you can add the claret yourself', I'm not going out and buying some for me! The same would apply regardless of the actors.

As for Hammond, I like her, genuine, presents well with a touch of the Chris Kamara's but it helps normalise her compared to the straight laced who do her job and never get ruffled or get the giggles.

Presenting is a talent, as is coming over as natural, genuine and not reading a script - and she's got that nailed. Holly's no different, other than being a fit white blonde girl - so she gets lauded for it, Hammond's just that lump.

Loose women is the same as Jeremy Kyle, and everything of that ilk - shock jock, sentimental, oh for the 60's, emotive clickbait but for TV.

These things often swing from one extreme to another. I remember when it was a big deal that Coronation Street had their first black character.

As Brendan Gleeson said in In Bruges; Black people, white people, blah, blah, blah.

Just quoted your post Col because of the Hammond mention :thumbup:

Honestly, I pay no attention to adverts now...I watch everything on TV with a delay so I can fast forward. Even when I happen to catch one, the 'family make up or colour or whether it's all men or all women - I fail to see how anyone can get wound up about that?

I see Dan's point about the 'behind closed doors talk' that produces all of this and what decisions they take thinking more about 'what might be least damaging' probably more than 'what's right for the product' - so I agree in as far as it's predominantly old, white, blokes sitting in a room thinking more about their pensions than the product and they just work from a list of ticks that's less likely to get them sacked.

The fallout from that is people then see offence in what's presented (the more extreme use it as further proof of how the UK has gone to the dogs and it definitely fuels the whites are under attack bollocks) - but again, why get offended about whether a black, white, asian, african, man, woman, trans, disabled, bald, blonde, brunette, red head is trying to sell you something 99% of the time you know you are never going to buy?

If they suddenly advertised blob pads with 4 white, villa fan blokes who were chanting 'you can add the claret yourself', I'm not going out and buying some for me! The same would apply regardless of the actors.

As for Hammond, I like her, genuine, presents well with a touch of the Chris Kamara's but it helps normalise her compared to the straight laced who do her job and never get ruffled or get the giggles.

Presenting is a talent, as is coming over as natural, genuine and not reading a script - and she's got that nailed. Holly's no different, other than being a fit white blonde girl - so she gets lauded for it, Hammond's just that lump.

Loose women is the same as Jeremy Kyle, and everything of that ilk - shock jock, sentimental, oh for the 60's, emotive clickbait but for TV.
Not bothered about colour though Mike. Couldn't give a shit if they are green or trans or both. But I want entertainment and to watch TV and either learn something or feel good.
Maybe it's just TV in general that's shit.
You've only got to look at Saturday night TV to realise how far we have fallen. Saturday night used to have
You bet
Gladiators
Noel's house party
Barrymore
Big break.
Tarrant Tv
Man o man
Real entertainment. Now Id rather poke my own eyes out than watch TV on a Saturday evening.