Thommo | Page 9 | Vital Football

Thommo

Radio Lincs seem to having a cull of their more mature staff in recent days/weeks too, getting rid of the high earners?
Was Thommo even paid?

Did you hear the Carla Greene interview with John Inverdale on Radio Lincs 40th Birthday Anniversary? .... I think it is on BBC Sounds and is a great listen?

Might have been me who said Thommo's not a dinosaur!
And me, I flinch at every modern PC utterance on tv etc. Find it all pathetic.
Female Doctor Who for example, what a load of nonsense.
Changing lyrics of the Pogues song, total nonsense too and disrespectful of the artists.
And changing Guy Gibson's dog's name to Digger. Another prime example of PC crap gone mad.
We're heading to a society that's a combination of 1984 Big Brother and a medieval catholic church and their Spanish Inquisition.
We have to agree to disagree then. For the record stuff like changing the Pogues I find daft. But I’m of a certain age but still recognise, especially with a daughter who follows the football, that some things are no longer acceptable.

They should follow the film the purge - for 24 hours you can say what the feek you like. after that you have bite your tongue!

As an ex teacher, and a very liberal-minded sort of person, I get all this 'political correctness' stuff 100%; we should treat everyone as equals no matter what, no question. The problem only becomes a problem when some, often over-zealously, take it a stage too far. It's not that long ago, for example, when the likes of (I think it was) Nottingham Council who banned the use of the term 'black coffee' some years ago. It certainly happened in Southend, see here: https://southendnewsnetwork.net/new...g-for-black-coffee-due-to-racism-complaints2/

I am well aware that black people do call it black coffee or white coffee, and do I feel insulted when the term 'white coffee' is used? Not at all, neither do any of my black friends when talking about black coffee.

As for Thommo, he has used the term 'handbags' for many years, as have so many football commentators before him so if that is the real reason he may have been removed from his position as a football pundit, then that is quite a sad reflection on modern society, in my humble opinion. Stand-up comedians had better start looking over their shoulders, too!

What is really needed is a little common sense, and maybe just a 'chat' with anyone who might possibly cross the line of common decency, which, personally, I don't believe has happened on this occasion, if the reasons stated are indeed correct.

The reality also is that this whole story is another dreadful example of some evil use of Facebook, with little or no substantiated evidence, a bit like the 'massive voter fraud' allegedly taking place across the pond.

Political correctness is an invention of the 'right wing press/media ' in order to undermine anyone who objects to discrimination on the grounds of race, gender, sexuality etc etc. As an ex teacher I am disappointed you are unaware of that. For PC stories in the media - see false European Union stories. Generally twisted to fit an agenda. The agenda being to undermine anyone who objects to discrimination on the grounds of race, gender, sexuality etc etc. PC 'gone mad' usually means some journalist has made something up to undermine attempts to create equality. In Thommo we have someone who reflects the age he grew up and worked in, who has probably never had to think about the phrases he uses or their potential impact. It is generally low level stuff but their is an audience who listens to football or watches that are acutely aware that this is dinosaur stuff and is the base of ideas that are far more offensive. Women listen. Gay people listen. These are generally the areas he needs to think about. Woke is the new PC. So when challenged about casual discrimination and offensive language towards a women, a sexist would not consider the impact of the words but call the complainer 'Woke.' For the last twenty years it would have been "Your being a bit PC." Times move on and our teenagers are neither sexist, homophobic or PC or Woke. Everyone can change, even Dinosaurs and Thommo.

Several years ago, having worked in manufacturing industry for 30 odd years I took an early retirement deal and did some interim work in the service sector - really enjoyable and energising in a young company, with a lot of young women (and men) working there. I remember something being said and I reacted instinctively as when on the shop floor in a department full of women. Saw the look on the faces. Realised this was a different world

Political correctness is an invention of the 'right wing press/media ' in order to undermine anyone who objects to discrimination on the grounds of race, gender, sexuality etc etc. As an ex teacher I am disappointed you are unaware of that. For PC stories in the media - see false European Union stories. Generally twisted to fit an agenda. The agenda being to undermine anyone who objects to discrimination on the grounds of race, gender, sexuality etc etc. PC 'gone mad' usually means some journalist has made something up to undermine attempts to create equality. In Thommo we have someone who reflects the age he grew up and worked in, who has probably never had to think about the phrases he uses or their potential impact. It is generally low level stuff but their is an audience who listens to football or watches that are acutely aware that this is dinosaur stuff and is the base of ideas that are far more offensive. Women listen. Gay people listen. These are generally the areas he needs to think about. Woke is the new PC. So when challenged about casual discrimination and offensive language towards a women, a sexist would not consider the impact of the words but call the complainer 'Woke.' For the last twenty years it would have been "Your being a bit PC." Times move on and our teenagers are neither sexist, homophobic or PC or Woke. Everyone can change, even Dinosaurs and Thommo.

Note that I put 'political correctness' in inverted commas for a reason. I wasn't saying that I agree with it, just that I get it. I also stated, without doubt, my beliefs on how all individuals should be treated. Your comment "As an ex teacher I am disappointed you are unaware of that" is therefore invalid.

Did you hear the Carla Greene interview with John Inverdale on Radio Lincs 40th Birthday Anniversary? .... I think it is on BBC Sounds and is a great listen?

This is incredibly lazy but do you have a link to the interview as I'd be interested to listen to it.

As an ex teacher, and a very liberal-minded sort of person, I get all this 'political correctness' stuff 100%; we should treat everyone as equals no matter what, no question. The problem only becomes a problem when some, often over-zealously, take it a stage too far. It's not that long ago, for example, when the likes of (I think it was) Nottingham Council who banned the use of the term 'black coffee' some years ago. It certainly happened in Southend, see here: https://southendnewsnetwork.net/new...g-for-black-coffee-due-to-racism-complaints2/

I am well aware that black people do call it black coffee or white coffee, and do I feel insulted when the term 'white coffee' is used? Not at all, neither do any of my black friends when talking about black coffee.

As for Thommo, he has used the term 'handbags' for many years, as have so many football commentators before him so if that is the real reason he may have been removed from his position as a football pundit, then that is quite a sad reflection on modern society, in my humble opinion. Stand-up comedians had better start looking over their shoulders, too!

What is really needed is a little common sense, and maybe just a 'chat' with anyone who might possibly cross the line of common decency, which, personally, I don't believe has happened on this occasion, if the reasons stated are indeed correct.

The reality also is that this whole story is another dreadful example of some evil use of Facebook, with little or no substantiated evidence, a bit like the 'massive voter fraud' allegedly taking place across the pond.
You do realise that Southend News Network is a spoof site?