Thommo | Page 7 | Vital Football

Thommo

Appreciate you are lucky, but don't feel guilty about it, how you were born is not your fault. Be happy, take your opportunities, appreciate what is around you, especially if it is free.

Yesterday, at sunrise on a bright frosty early morning dog walk I saw a Roe Deer, two Woodpeckers and a Buzzard. Later my missus completed her radiotherapy for breast cancer, the Chemo finished some weeks ago. Hopefully we have turned a corner. In the evening I listened to a confident Michael Appleton. How lucky we are.
Best of luck, berks.

Appreciate you are lucky, but don't feel guilty about it, how you were born is not your fault. Be happy, take your opportunities, appreciate what is around you, especially if it is free.

Yesterday, at sunrise on a bright frosty early morning dog walk I saw a Roe Deer, two Woodpeckers and a Buzzard. Later my missus completed her radiotherapy for breast cancer, the Chemo finished some weeks ago. Hopefully we have turned a corner. In the evening I listened to a confident Michael Appleton. How lucky we are.

All the best to you and your other half.

And I would also like to point out that not only is Thommo is long serving servant of our club as player, captain, manager, and now reporter, he (and our then team and the Bradford players too) did nearly lose their lives in the Fire. Ordered back into the changing rooms by the referee and hence into the soon to be blazing stand, it was frankly only down to moments that they escaped with lives by quickly getting out again.
They then had a further near miss days later when their plane crashed at Leeds/Bradford airport.
So how about the middle class morons at the BBC have a little think that people deserve to be treated with some dignity and respect ?

In the difficult years he also gave no end of his time, foc, doing ‘an evening with’ (or similar), talks at dinners etc etc. Also, when he trots out funny stories from the past, I know he is often asked to do so when there is a long injury in a game or when Michael Hortin is stumped for words.

Thinking of you all Berks, didn’t know you were going through this. With your determination the boss will get through it. 😃

My best wishes go to you and your family berksimps and I hope that life has truly turned a good corner for you and yours.

This has to be the post of the year and puts so eloquently what really matters in life. All the people on both sides of debates preaching their bile and self righteous bull---t wake up and appreciate things in life that really matter rather than preaching intolerance and hatred from both sides of the political and social debate.

All the best Berks. Sounds positive. Nice spots of the woodpeckers, buzzard and deer too - have been enjoying nature since March. Seen some great stuff, started turning into a twitcher!

All the best Berks. Sounds positive. Nice spots of the woodpeckers, buzzard and deer too - have been enjoying nature since March. Seen some great stuff, started turning into a twitcher!

Some things are better left in the cupboard, but best wishes to Berks and family.

Someone said Thommo isn’t a dinosaur? Maybe not in football sense but over the past few seasons he’s demonstrated in other ways he definitely is, like it or not in 2021 he’s been on thin ice.
I have a daughter who listens/watches and she doesn’t get offended in a PC way but she definitely notices and shakes her head metaphorically every time he comes out with one of these statements.

Yep, rooms full of it. A vast selection, complete with a whisky menu.

Decent food, as well.

I farm around Leadenham and the George is my local. Been run down last few years but new Landlord came in 18 months ago and totally renovated the pub. Stable bar re done as a sports bar in March and was doing well until this virus came along.

The old Landlord had 700+ whisky’s but sold 300 when he left. One whisky was £200 a tot and got dearer as the bottle got lower!

I farm around Leadenham and the George is my local. Been run down last few years but new Landlord came in 18 months ago and totally renovated the pub. Stable bar re done as a sports bar in March and was doing well until this virus came along.

The old Landlord had 700+ whisky’s but sold 300 when he left. One whisky was £200 a tot and got dearer as the bottle got lower!

Yes, it had started to look a bit tatty last time we went. Hopefully it will survive and re-open.

And what about Meghan Markel ?
Extremely wealthy and a Duchess !!!
I call that ultra privileged.
What I have explained over and over again in a number of different ways is that you compare like for like. Yes, the Queen and Meghan Markel are immensely privileged compared to you and me (for the record I am a republican) but Megan Markel gets terrible treatment in the right wing press compared to Kate Middleton because she is black. Kate Middleton has the privilege of being white. If you fail to get it now, I will give up because you will be either unwilling to get it or incapable of ever getting it.

Last edited:
All this boiled gammon and no-one actually knows why he hasn’t been on commentary. The magic of the internet.

I dont think its to do with the skirt reference that someone has mentioned, although that may have had some influence. I think it is to do with another comment made regarding a woman's accessory that has been a widely used term in football commentary and punditary for many many years.
Whether it is an appropriate comment in the 21st century I dont know. Obviously his hierarchy dont think it is but i hope he comes back. I think Thommo will be upset over all this, he comes from a different era but we all have to change with the times whether we agree with things or not.... I could think of at least one other person I would like to see go before Thommo.

I dont think its to do with the skirt reference that someone has mentioned, although that may have had some influence. I think it is to do with another comment made regarding a woman's accessory that has been a widely used term in football commentary and punditary for many many years.
Whether it is an appropriate comment in the 21st century I dont know. Obviously his hierarchy dont think it is but i hope he comes back. I think Thommo will be upset over all this, he comes from a different era but we all have to change with the times whether we agree with things or not.... I could think of at least one other person I would like to see go before Thommo.

Oh please, do tell? ..... not that giggling imbecile (who has never stepped foot in Anfield)? He can't keep living off 'I'm hugging Danny's Dad forever can he?

As for Steve, I still haven't fully forgiven him for getting needlessly sent off at Fulham, or Imps 0 Barnet 6 when he was Manager.

Oh, and I've just remembered when Oldgaurd and I interviewed him when I was Editor of the DF. When I asked whether he'd considered visiting work-places (like Graham Taylor used to) to help whip up enthusiasm as attendances were poor, he replied by saying "fvck the factories' ..... along with other arrogant retorts to completely innocent questions.

Toodle pip Thommo :wave:

We don't yet know the facts and may never do so. ST was/is employed by the BBC and there has to be a code of conduct. If he has breached it, the BBC have to take action. I grew up with Thomson as a player in the early 80s. However we are now in 2020 and dressing room banter has no place on the airwaves. As an aside, I do agree that white privilege exists in our society and I say that as a working class born, white, straight British male. But I don't feel a sense of guilt about it, just an acute awareness that others face barriers more substantial than my own