High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk | Page 19 | Vital Football

High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk

Our go-to shop if the toaster or kettle breaks Argos, haven't been in a Sainsbury's in the last 30 years. Nothing against them apart from they are more expensive than ASDA and we always have lived nearer to an ASDA.

Our go-to shop if the toaster or kettle breaks Argos, haven't been in a Sainsbury's in the last 30 years. Nothing against them apart from they are more expensive than ASDA and we always have lived nearer to an ASDA.
TBF though Martin in these times of extreme uncertainty that seem like sound business sense to me awful lot of rent being saved whilst safe guarding 100s of jobs.

Interesting, and as you say, depressing reading. Can't see that cities like Manchester, spending equally as much on improvements and regeneration, won't be just as hard hit really, but that doesn't negate the fact, Brum amongst so many, could take a decade or more to recover from this.
Funnily enough I had just read that article, and was going to post the link.
Parts of it reminded me of Brum in the sixties, a depressing place to be in parts of it.

Sir Philip Green's retail empire Arcadia, which includes Topshop, Burton and Dorothy Perkins, is understood to be on the brink of collapse.

Sir Philip had been in talks with potential lenders about borrowing £30m to help the business through Christmas.

However, these talks have failed and administrators could be appointed on Monday, putting 13,000 jobs at risk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55099374

Sir Philip Green's retail empire Arcadia, which includes Topshop, Burton and Dorothy Perkins, is understood to be on the brink of collapse.

Sir Philip had been in talks with potential lenders about borrowing £30m to help the business through Christmas.

However, these talks have failed and administrators could be appointed on Monday, putting 13,000 jobs at risk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55099374

So much for him being a retail guru.

An analyst on Sky has just said that Philip Green is more interested in keeping his personal wealth than rescuing his own business and couldn't care less about the staff.

An analyst on Sky has just said that Philip Green is more interested in keeping his personal wealth than rescuing his own business and couldn't care less about the staff.

He's 68 years old. His brands have all had their day. Even if he threw his personal fortune into the group, it's still going to fail.

He's a disgusting old perv. He should be in prison. Still, you can't fault him for not wasting his personal money to save a sinking ship.

I buy virtually everything from Amazon and there must be millions of others who do the same.
I'm killing the high street and shopping malls, do I care no not a jot.
Shopping is for women and should be banned in this day and age. Look at all the jobs I'm creating in Amazon warehouses, which are just as well paid as shop jobs but you won't be able to stand around all day awaiting a customer

Yes, it is back to the wider debate we've had a few times in this thread isn't it?

As you say, much like BHS and others, the brands have had their day, they haven't adapted, there is no added value going out to the shopping centre or high street, with high parking charges, if you can get a parking space, traffic wardens ruining the day out with charges, queues etc.

Unless I was very wealthy and could go to the exclusive places, tailored suits etc, I can't see any value to me going out to shop, when I can do it online, at an hour that suits me, I can spend time looking and comparing prices and so on. Only caveat to that, I like going food shopping so I can select the freshest fruit and veg and also, to be truthful, get out into the real world.

The High Street/Shopping centres have really not kept up and offer nothing nice to entice me as a consumer through their doors.

Yes, it is back to the wider debate we've had a few times in this thread isn't it?

As you say, much like BHS and others, the brands have had their day, they haven't adapted, there is no added value going out to the shopping centre or high street, with high parking charges, if you can get a parking space, traffic wardens ruining the day out with charges, queues etc.

Unless I was very wealthy and could go to the exclusive places, tailored suits etc, I can't see any value to me going out to shop, when I can do it online, at an hour that suits me, I can spend time looking and comparing prices and so on. Only caveat to that, I like going food shopping so I can select the freshest fruit and veg and also, to be truthful, get out into the real world.

The High Street/Shopping centres have really not kept up and offer nothing nice to entice me as a consumer through their doors.

The shopping centres here have become much more like leisure complexes with a lot of restaurants, coffee shops, cinemas and entertainment outlets. People tend to go for the day out rather than popping in to grab one thing and then leaving.

The shopping centres here have become much more like leisure complexes with a lot of restaurants, coffee shops, cinemas and entertainment outlets. People tend to go for the day out rather than popping in to grab one thing and then leaving.

Give me the jungle any day of the week. But yes, obviously as you showed me when over there, they are certainly massive complexes aren't they!? I'd rather the caves and jungles personally!!