High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk | Page 18 | Vital Football

High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk

On a company front I have little sympathy given how they screwed down costs, centralised and basically attempted to shaft the independent/smaller high street - but I more than feel for the staff.

What other choice did they have than not do this though? Inadvertently, every food retailer has shafted the smaller stores though I would say it’s more the Tesco’s and Sainsburys with their local stores that are doing that now. The death of small and local stores is very sad, but they need to somehow use their scale to procure cheaper if they don’t already - perhaps more co-operatives?

Centralising gives buying power and efficiency of overheads, so they can pass on that saving to the consumer - and M&S aren't even cheap having done that!

Our village (urban town village of York) which has all the basics you need there plus too many charity shops has free parking in Morrison's all the time.

Morrison's wanted to change that when they bought out Safeways but weren't allowed to by the local council who own the carpark side.

There was an absolute stink up when Morrison's put up a sign saying "3 hour parking only" the day they opened.

Council were round in an hour to take it down. There was a public meeting over it. Morrison's had to bsck down

A lot of businesses basically lease out their car parks to the rip off parking companies for huge sums. Then they wonder why people stop using their stores when lots of their customers get fined ridiculous amounts for going over their allotted time.
Last year we went to a local retail park which has a 2 hour limit. By the time we had taken our youngest for a pizza there was not enough time left to do any shopping. So we left and shopped elsewhere that didn't have a restriction. The same with McDonalds. The industry I'm in a lot of my customers suggest meeting at a local McDonalds as they are usually out and about. A lot of McD's have now got a 1 hour maximum stay monitored by a rip off parking company, so I just avoid them and move the meeting to a local cafe that has no limits on stay.
I have a customer who is one of McDonalds top franchisees. He refuses to do this as he's not greedy and values his customers. Like he says he makes millions by retaining his customers and can't understand why the others do it then complain that their take is down.

Stratford Upon Avon is so bad. They allow people 30 minutes which gives people no time at all to go and have a coffee, a meal and do shopping etc. on the street parking.

Stratford Upon Avon is so bad. They allow people 30 minutes which gives people no time at all to go and have a coffee, a meal and do shopping etc. on the street parking.
Point of order: it is 30 minutes only on Bridge Street (where M&S is) but 1 hour pretty much everywhere else (2 hours on Chestnut Walk and Church Street).

But I agree - very little time to do anything meaningful without having to clock-watch the whole time. They do it to try and force people to use the multi-stories and the massive white elephant which is the park-and-ride.

Yes, still not enough time for a meal and to relax, didn't know the one was 2 hours now, it didn't used to be i'm sure? And yes, even an hour isn't enough for shopping, cuppa, little stroll etc. Doesn't encourage punters to stop for lunch etc does it?

If it's a parking charge notice then it's just a glorified invoice, I've ignored a few of those in my time.

As with everything, contracts and negotiations have squeezed margins so tightly it’s the reason why we probably aren’t far off being charged, as they make their higher margin sales from ancillary revenue.

I do understand car parking charges where people park in a supermarket to nip into town and take places of real shoppers for that establishment. An hour or less though is a bit silly

The owner of Pizza Hut restaurants in the UK will go ahead with plans to shut 29 sites, putting 450 jobs at risk, after creditors voted through an agreement to try to save the pandemic-hit business.

Pizza Hut Restaurants, the brand’s biggest franchise arm in the UK, has agreed a reduction in rent and bills with its landlords and other creditors through a company voluntary arrangement (CVA).

The CVA will not affect Pizza Hut’s delivery operations, which are operated separately. The UK restaurants are run under a franchise arrangement with Yum! Brands, the S&P 500 company that is also the owner of the KFC and the Mexican-themed Taco Bell chains.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...taurants-to-close-jobs-london-glasgow-cardiff

Pub and brewery group Marstons says it will axe up to 2,150 furloughed jobs following new restrictions to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

The company said since the first lockdown was lifted, 10,000 of its employees had returned to work.

But Marstons said new measures such as the 10pm curfew and restrictions in Liverpool mean 2,150 pub-based roles are going to be impacted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54551477

Pub and brewery group Marstons says it will axe up to 2,150 furloughed jobs following new restrictions to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

The company said since the first lockdown was lifted, 10,000 of its employees had returned to work.

But Marstons said new measures such as the 10pm curfew and restrictions in Liverpool mean 2,150 pub-based roles are going to be impacted.

Think of all those people saved from Alcohol-related liver disease

Marstons run quite a few pubs around here. They are all terrible and wouldn't be missed if they closed down.