High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk | Page 21 | Vital Football

High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk

Shame about Arcadia, hope someone picks it up to keep part of the group going in some way. There's obviously lots of problems on the high street, not just because of Covid though. I guess these days the fashionable shops do change very quickly with new online stores popping up all the time and becoming hot on social media etc, it's very different to previous eras where the big names commanded the brand loyalty over the long term.

When I was a teenager I used to shop at topman, now I'm closer to 30 that shop feels 'too young' for me, reminds me of what I'd buy when I was 15 when I had a bit of money from my parents.. not really what I want anymore, and I guess for the youngsters they probably think topshop is uncool because it's what people wore 10 years ago

Not looking good for the staff

Sir Philip Green's retail empire could collapse within hours, as a senior source at Arcadia Group told the BBC they do not expect any last-minute rescue deal.

The company, which includes Topshop, Burton and Dorothy Perkins, is set to enter administration on Monday.

That would put 13,000 jobs at risk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55089327

He turned down a bail out from Mike Ashley too, who is going to be a bidder with the administration

Like I said before, don't care about him and his personal wealth will be protected. It's the staff I feel for. He won't be needing U.C or the foodbanks

Looks like the slow, painful death of Debenhams is just about complete.

JD Sports is expected to pull out of talks over a rescue deal for department store chain Debenhams on Tuesday.

It was the last remaining bidder for the firm, which is in administration, and up until the end of last week had been closing in on a deal.

But retail giant Arcadia is the biggest concession operator in Debenhams and its
collapse is understood to have been a factor in JD Sports' decision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55139713

Debenhams has been circling the drain for years. They have a huge out of town shop near me, whenever I’ve gone in there’s only ever been a handful of people inside there’s no way it was sustainable. I think a big factor is the price of property rent - shop units used to be an asset you’d pay for, now they are just a cost which will bring you down. There needs to be some serious corrections in the commercial property market but I can bet your institutional and pension property fund managers will disagree right up to the point where all we have is blocks of flats, supermarkets and warehouse delivery units

Huge blow to Redditch Kingfisher, it is the flagship store there

https://redditchstandard.co.uk/news...et-to-close-forever-after-failed-rescue-deal/

Debenhams... but as you say above, it was circling the drain. I used to buy a fair bit from there, but it got more expensive and less attractive to do so. In the last year, I've bought some mugs there, I need some pillows from there, that is it. And it never looks busy.

But still, massive blow unless they can get a supermarket or the like in there to replace it, which I doubt.

We have a Debenhams at Meadowhall up here. The problem with it is most of the concessions in there have their own stores in the malls, so I don't see the point of going in.
It's just another example of an old fashioned business model that no longer works.

The only clothes I've ever bought online were Villa shirts. I think there is still a place for retail but I'd imagine it's all going to be consolidated into big shopping centres like we have here.

Bon Marche back in administration! Cant stand the shop personally. Mom used to like to shop there so the reason speaks for itself. I didn't do shops mom frequented

The Debenhams near me is in a lovely white Victorian looking building over a couple of floors which has a large floor space. Similar to David, there’s hardly anyone in there because no one wants John Rocha or Red Herring these days.

I’d love to see it as a big shop for vibrant concessions where brands such as one of my favourites Selected Homme could buy a couple of spaces in the shop along with street food type joints so that it becomes a destination. Almost like an ASOS on the high street with added value, but not another House of Frasier with the premium brands.

The reality is it will be turned into 200 flats with no car parking spaces.

The Debenhams near me is in a lovely white Victorian looking building over a couple of floors which has a large floor space. Similar to David, there’s hardly anyone in there because no one wants John Rocha or Red Herring these days.

I’d love to see it as a big shop for vibrant concessions where brands such as one of my favourites Selected Homme could buy a couple of spaces in the shop along with street food type joints so that it becomes a destination. Almost like an ASOS on the high street with added value, but not another House of Frasier with the premium brands.

The reality is it will be turned into 200 flats with no car parking spaces.

Exactly what is needed, and different sections, to make it interesting, even things like a Turkish Barber (fuck off, I can still have a shave!), foot massage, god, anything to just fill the space and make it a destination.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55793411

Fashion retailer Boohoo has bought the Debenhams brand and website for £55m.

However, it will not take on any of the firm's remaining 118 High Street stores or its workforce.

The 242-year-old Debenhams chain is already in the process of closing down, after administrators failed to secure a rescue deal for the business.

Asos are buying Topshop's online business. I think @danvilla2 is an investor in Asos.

I had a fair whack in them, they fluctuate between £20 and £60 a share on regular basis. I sold them when they more than doubled in price, though was premature I should’ve held on was a bad move. I wanted to put the money elsewhere.

I’ll look out for their next warehouse fire and that’ll crash the price and re-buy and hold.