Brexit Day! | Page 20 | Vital Football

Brexit Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been saying for a while that Starmer should would be the leader

RLB already has the right wing media going after her

She doesn't stand a chance

Starmer will get the nod from Rupert Murdoch and all the blairites and the new tories will be happy

The Labour party also wouldn't stand a chance under her. There needs to be a balance between preserving elements of Corbyn's agenda and finding a way to engage across the entire political spectrum.

I get why the media frustrates you but are you willing to admit the election campaign run by JC and co was spectacularly misjudged?

That's very welcome.
However, there is a significant lack of joined up thinking with the announcement. It obviously needs to come with other infrastructure initiatives, such as charging point availability and coping with periodic demand on the national grid.
I don't think either of us believe that this government is going to be as green as it could or should be, no matter how many times they stand next to my favourite nonagenarian broadcaster.

My more general point was that we have always had the power to make more stringent environmental protections in this country even as full members of the EU. Successive governments have preferred instead to adhere to the bare minimum of EU rules, probably for competition reasons. Makes economic sense. However, since we are now going to try to undercut the EU, I doubt we will have the luxury of adding any costs stemming from green environmental policies.
For example, I doubt we are going to set an example and do less fishing...

The Labour party also wouldn't stand a chance under her. There needs to be a balance between preserving elements of Corbyn's agenda and finding a way to engage across the entire political spectrum.

I get why the media frustrates you but are you willing to admit the election campaign run by JC and co was spectacularly misjudged?

Yes i will

However it was but they didnt stand chance even if they had a competent one

When you combine Brexit, labour voters falling for the magic grandpa demonisation, the use of extreme words like radical

They still wouldn't have won with a competent media campaign

As competent as she is, I just cannot see Nandy getting elected as prime minister of what's left of the UK by the next GE. Can you?

Does articulate what many outside of the cities feel and capable of generating common sense policy ideas. Has talent but clearly not as experienced as starmer and less intellectual too. Not necessarily a weakness from a backbencher but not enough for the top job imo. Expect to see her in a shadow cabinet in the near future.

He's a bright lad, Sunak. Might be ok.
Clearly happy to take whatever is given and toe every party line in order to get a top job. It was obviously going to happen for him sooner or later but this is obviously a surprise!

Lincoln College is really rather charming (the wisteria is to die for) and it is nice to have yet another Oxford PPE grad with experience in hedge funds in cabinet.

He's a bright lad, Sunak. Might be ok.
Clearly happy to take whatever is given and toe every party line in order to get a top job. It was obviously going to happen for him sooner or later but this is obviously a surprise!

Lincoln College is really rather charming (the wisteria is to die for) and it is nice to have yet another Oxford PPE grad with experience in hedge funds in cabinet.

PPE is a wonderful degree!

David 'TwoBrains' Willetts adds: “As a minister, you do sometimes think that British political life is an endless recreation of the PPE essay crisis.”

This article is quite amusing. Obviously I haven't read it all. It's too long and waffly, presumably like a PPE essay.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/feb/23/ppe-oxford-university-degree-that-rules-britain

To be fair, they do churn out political leaders right across the spectrum: from Tony Benn to those accused of genocide. So they don't all come out with a single point of view.

David 'TwoBrains' Willetts adds: “As a minister, you do sometimes think that British political life is an endless recreation of the PPE essay crisis.”

This article is quite amusing. Obviously I haven't read it all. It's too long and waffly, presumably like a PPE essay.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/feb/23/ppe-oxford-university-degree-that-rules-britain

To be fair, they do churn out political leaders right across the spectrum: from Tony Benn to those accused of genocide. So they don't all come out with a single point of view.

"It also gives many of these public figures a shared outlook: confident, internationalist, intellectually flexible, and above all sure that small groups of supposedly well-educated, rational people, such as themselves, can and should improve Britain and the wider world".

Seems reasonable, especially as the scientific community when highlighting the dangerous of climate change is about as effective as Corbyn.

Anybody notice that the Watnalls and Lienkings have quietly slipped away? I thought it would take longer.

Not gone anywhere, but you seem to have enough fun arguing amongst yourselves . Will leave you in peace until something of importance actually happens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.