Climate change. | Page 9 | Vital Football

Climate change.

I really don’t like the phrase Climate Change, it is so limiting.
In most cases mention Climate, people automatically think weather, and this problem is much bigger than just weather.

As you point out, habitat loss is a massive issue and is just as important to recognise. If it isn’t, the damage to the natural balance on earth will cause just as many problems.
We already know about the decline in bees and the consequences for us all if that keeps happening.

It’s great to see these continued protests, this must be kept in the public eye, it’s the only way the politicians will listen.

On that point, I notice that young Greta gave a speech in Madrid yesterday, but many of the delegates couldn’t be bothered to hang around and listen.
I just find that incredibly disrespectful. They may not like her, but she isn’t going to go away.
It just shows how this problem still only receives lip service from some of the most powerful countries and corporations.
But she has irritated Trump into a twitter spat just by being who she is and him being a threatened old stupid rich white guy.

That will get a lot more publicity than having a few more of those seats filled with people who were going to ignore her anyway.

But she has irritated Trump into a twitter spat just by being who she is and him being a threatened old stupid rich white guy.

That will get a lot more publicity than having a few more of those seats filled with people who were going to ignore her anyway.

Got to say that her manner irritates me too but hope she keeps it up.
The crowd in our city centre a couple of nights ago was estimated at 40,000, not surprising it stopped the traffic. And there's a bit of a blue going on now about our pollies starting to disagree with each other about climate change, our leader is getting a bit of a bollocking. Three cheers. And I've just seen an add for a biomass energy system, things are really starting to move.
It must be my day as Oz v NZ in a 5 day match in Perth part the way through on the second day and Oz 416 all out, NZ 2 for 2. There's a downside though, we've just lost a fast bowler, got an injury of some sort I think. TV's on in another room, I'm trying to type as I listen.

No sign of rain here, we are in real trouble.

Yes it did help, nailed it in fact. It's the "in your face" approach which narks me, as though I'm at fault. But it does create an awareness which some folk don't have and overall I'm in favour of her way of doing it.
The fact that she has irritated Trump is a bonus.
I've just spent an hour watering pot plants with a bucket, part of our water restrictions, and have just learned that we already have a problem in that bush fires, still on going, have left a load of ash in Sydneys catchment area and that when it rains this will have an effect on our drinking water. Smell and flavour and more. That's assuming that it will rain eventually, none forecast.
Perhaps I should concentrate on having a good time while I'm living in hope.

5 in the afternoon here and 6 fire engines have just passed our place, all sirens and lights going strong, and it's impossible to know whether this is a new fire or not as there is too much smoke in the air all the time.
At long last some of our pollies are starting to talk about the effect of climate change, it will be even better if the actually start to do something!

Meanwhile we're doing pretty well at the cricket in Perth, it's on TV again.

4.15 in the afternoon here in Sydney and if there are any among you with doubts about Climate Change you should be here now. Just about every record in our climate book is being broken at the moment, the temperature now is in the high 40s, the sun is just a blood red blob in the sky and we're full of brown smoke from the bush fires some of which have been burning since July. And it's impossible to put them out, the only solution is rain and there's none in sight. I've lost track of the number of homes which have been destroyed and we're now starting to get deaths involved. The fire on the Northwest outskirts of Sydney is over 1 million acres in size and is going strong, it's impossible to put it out without rain. There are extensive fires all the way down the Eastern seaboard, also in every other state.

It's a good job our PM has broken his holiday in Hawaii, pity he hasn't got the faintest idea of positive action.

4.15 in the afternoon here in Sydney and if there are any among you with doubts about Climate Change you should be here now. Just about every record in our climate book is being broken at the moment, the temperature now is in the high 40s, the sun is just a blood red blob in the sky and we're full of brown smoke from the bush fires some of which have been burning since July. And it's impossible to put them out, the only solution is rain and there's none in sight. I've lost track of the number of homes which have been destroyed and we're now starting to get deaths involved. The fire on the Northwest outskirts of Sydney is over 1 million acres in size and is going strong, it's impossible to put it out without rain. There are extensive fires all the way down the Eastern seaboard, also in every other state.

It's a good job our PM has broken his holiday in Hawaii, pity he hasn't got the faintest idea of positive action.
Sounds like the opening paragraph of a party apocalyptic novel. Judge Dredd, Bladerunner, or similar.

Sounds like the opening paragraph of a party apocalyptic novel. Judge Dredd, Bladerunner, or similar.

Finger on the button itto, but I know that you understand the problem just as I do. Today has been cooler but the wind has gone right round and created more problems. And we're still trying to get to grips with the consequences. And they're considerable.
Australia is right at the bottom of the list of climate changers, everybody seems to know it over here except for bloody MPs but some now under local pressures are beginning to voice a different opinion. Not before time. This country being fairly dry in the first place is well placed to feel the early effects of change and that's probably what's happening right now.
Unless we solve quickly the shortage of water here we are in serious trouble, and that's another problem that the pollies don't seem to talk about yet. But they will, and it's urgent.

That's right.
There is a reason that Southern california is at odds with the president over climate change. Not having enough water to drink tends to focus the mind.

Don't get much to smile about on this thread but I.ve just had a laugh. Greta has just had a piece of our PM, he's broken into his holiday in Hawaii to return due to the severity of the bush fires although he's still insistent that it's not due to climate change.

Don't get much to smile about on this thread but I.ve just had a laugh. Greta has just had a piece of our PM, he's broken into his holiday in Hawaii to return due to the severity of the bush fires although he's still insistent that it's not due to climate change.
How do people with stupid or dangerously false views keep getting voted in?

How do people with stupid or dangerously false views keep getting voted in?

Our current PM is Liberal (equivalent to your Tory) and that party has been in power for approx 12 months only because the Labour mob ballsed the election up. Prior to that we had the same govt but the PM had a series of changes, none of which were much good. The current bloke talks a good talk (if you're a Lib) but that's the end of it, otherwise he's hopeless and will possibly be changed again. It's only very recently that some of his party have begun muttering amongst themselves about how badly we're doing with climate change. He still persists with his view that we're doing well when all the experts say the opposite and the public are beginning to take him up on the subject.
Coupled with the really serious problem we have with water, or rather lack of it, the govt is starting to look slack as they appear to be doing very little about either problem.
In answer to your question, the only reason that the Libs are in power is because so many voted against the Labour mob. Just to remind you that voting is compulsary here and we get a large donkey vote. Lots of those voters would be reading a Rupert paper which would recommend Labour.

Just to remind you that voting is compulsary here and we get a large donkey vote. Lots of those voters would be reading a Rupert paper which would recommend Labour.

Do you get a "none of the above" option when you vote? Really don't understand the point of forcing people to vote. Assume you're allowed to spoil your vote, or do you have to vote for a party like The Monster Raving Loony Party that we have, just to prove you've voted ?

Do you get a "none of the above" option when you vote? Really don't understand the point of forcing people to vote. Assume you're allowed to spoil your vote, or do you have to vote for a party like The Monster Raving Loony Party that we have, just to prove you've voted ?

The system here is that you first get your name chalked off on the register, then you're handed a voting paper, sometimes two, and you can treat it any way you want except that it has to be put in the right bin. And that is supervised. It's not even necessary to fill the form in. And if that's the case it's termed the donkey vote, and sometimes that particular vote is quite considerable. So in reality the system achieves very little.
If you don't vote you're subject to a fine, $20 I think and some people prefer to do that instead of voting.
Not much of a system is it, I've never seen the point.

Well it's Monday here, 7 in the evening after another hot, dry day,39 degrees and no rain. The sun is just a blood red blob again because of the smoke and all the fires are still there only this time Victoria is in real trouble as well, in their Gippsland region where many people go for Xmas holidays. Tomorrow the forecast is 43 degrees out here followed by a wind change which will play hell.
In the meantime I'm like a lot of other folk watching trees and shrubs dying because of water restrictions. Have you ever tried to maintain life on a 20 year old tree with a bucket. Doesn't work. Some of our rivers are drying up, some have gone completely and today there's news of another big load of native fish dying again. The bad news seems to be never ending but our pollies at the top seem to never notice. What a bloody hopeless helpless bunch.

I sometimes wonder whether humans will end up fighting each other in the future just to be able to stay alive.

Where did I put that bottle ?

7 in the evening here on New Years Eve after a bloody awful day. It's been 45 degrees here and the Southerly buster has just blown in dropping the temperature to 29, it helps. Locally the situation has not improved but there's a stretch down the coast from Sydney going for aprox 200 kilometres into Victoria where they have had awful fires resulting in much damage. We've also had 2 10 ton fire trucks blown over resulting in one death and others with serious burns. You can imagine the strength of the wind.

As if this wasn't bad enough we have a very serious water shortage which doesn't have too much publicity but which is much more serious than the current fires.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a bit of action soon, just hope it's not too late.

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions

Some interesting stats. China produces 30% of the World's CO2. USA and Aus produce 3 times as much per capita than the UK. UK and EU are reducing emissions, but the rest of the world isn't.

Woman who is trying to stop the Sydney fireworks says that Aus is the coal polluting version, as the middle east is to oil.

I'm familiar with the stats and the lady is partly correct but Aus is only one of the coal producing countries. The problem here is that we're talking about jobs and obviously if you're not a coal miner you must do something else. But what? We are working on it but it's a slow process and we have a Govt which is far too slow off the mark. Most of our coal goes to China and the Govt angle (they tell us) is that mostly it's of a quality used to make steel, which the world cannot do without. We are actually in process of cutting down on the approval of coal mines but it's going to be a slow job. (In my opinion)
Probably Feco would know something about the varying qualities of coal, I don't.

7 in the evening here on New Years Eve after a bloody awful day. It's been 45 degrees here and the Southerly buster has just blown in dropping the temperature to 29, it helps. Locally the situation has not improved but there's a stretch down the coast from Sydney going for aprox 200 kilometres into Victoria where they have had awful fires resulting in much damage. We've also had 2 10 ton fire trucks blown over resulting in one death and others with serious burns. You can imagine the strength of the wind.

As if this wasn't bad enough we have a very serious water shortage which doesn't have too much publicity but which is much more serious than the current fires.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a bit of action soon, just hope it's not too late.

It seems as though things are getting much worse very quickly ORF.
As tragic as it has been, I think you have to applaud the people trying to manage this situation on the ground, it’s amazing that there have been so few human fatalities. Obviously the damage to the wildlife population and habitat is far more desperate.

It looks as though only a significant change in the weather is going to turn this around, is there any chance of that on the horizon?

Happy 2030 ORF, stay safe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions

Some interesting stats. China produces 30% of the World's CO2. USA and Aus produce 3 times as much per capita than the UK. UK and EU are reducing emissions, but the rest of the world isn't.

Woman who is trying to stop the Sydney fireworks says that Aus is the coal polluting version, as the middle east is to oil.
The figures are relatively meaningless as they miss out many categories of CO2 emitters, essentially focusing on energy generation and cement.
If you compare emissions per land mass, Gibraltar is a worse polluter than China.....what is the definitive method of measuring?
China is now the biggest deployer of wind farms, they are trying, but in a country so vast what they have done is really only a drop in the ocean.

This is not a he says she says scenario, there is now a moral obligation to reduce emissions irrespective of what others do or don’t do. And if it costs people a few extra quid then so be it.
Brexit will cost us all significantly more than supporting renewables, and I would suggest that environmental change is a more pressing problem.