Climate change. | Page 7 | Vital Football

Climate change.

And why, I wonder does the Telegraph put "urgent need" in quotes?? It is almost as if they want you and their other readers to think there is some doubt about that!

Or maybe he's trying to offset his guilt. Like paying extra for your plane ticket for carbon offsetting schemes or choosing green energy tariffs. Either way, I'm sure xr won't be using his money to promote a third runway.

What you really mean is that you don't like xr and this helps you to undermine them because it smells sufficiently of hypocrisy for you to have an enjoyable little pompous dig. "These youngsters are going about it all wrong, I tell you". Did it make you feel good? What have you achieved? Want to have a pop at Greta while you're at it?

"I'm all for conservation but..."
But what? Got any bright ideas to change policy? Or help convince Trump that there is even a problem? Xr has been extremely effective so far. But it's only so far so good.
Tbf, sitting on top of a tube train was a little ill thought out.

XR has been effective ? How many changes have been introduced since they started causing major problems? I know people a lot younger than me who can't even be bothered to recycle what limited stuff their local council does. They target efficient forms of transport, and cause cars to sit in queues of traffic.

I'm no angel like most people on recycling,pollution etc, but I do try. My company car has done 35,000 miles in 8 years, 5 of which were at work. We bought net bags for veg, and always used the same shopping bags years before they started charging for plastic bags.

I do use the internet a lot though, and have now read it causes more pollution than aviation. How much pollution does bitcoin produce? I've read there are banks of computers using more electricity than the whole of Iceland.

As I've said before, mostly what we need is information, plus some basic things doing by government, councils, companies. Individuals are fairly limited as to what they can do, and rubbing up the population the wrong way and stopping public transport is certainly not the way to go about things.

Just to put things into perspective, the UK covers roughly 245,000 square kilometres, the state of New South Wales 810,000. NSW is over 98% drought declared and is tinder dry from one end to the other. At the moment we have over 70 bush fires in the state with 17 of them out of control and doing a lot of damage. It's been over 30 degrees today with more of the same to follow and blowing like mad outside, just what we don't need. And last week I read that temperatures in NSW over the last 36 months had all been higher than in previous months.
Last year our Federal Govt stated that we'd reach our emissions targets "at a canter" although nobody agreed. This year their view seems to be changing, who knows, next year we might even be doing something about it. In the meantime our Home and Contents Insurance goes up like mad.
What a shambles, I fear for our future generations.

It's 9.30 on Friday evening here and it's just been announced that the state has over 50 bushfires burning out of control, so far over 1 million acres burnt out. And we're only into the second month of Spring, it's going to be a long Summer. The season forecast is hot and dry.

Weather can be an odd business, you have too much water, we don't have enough, and overall it could be seen at times to be increasingly so. Over here we are influenced by the winds in the South Pacific in the East and the Indian Ocean in the west. This year it's the Indian Oceans turn, normally it's the South Pacific and that now means that we're in for a dry, hot summer. Unfortunately we've just had a very warm, dry winter which has produced the drought which is now playing hell here. It's 7.40 on Saturday night here in Sydney and currently we have 3 dead, 7 missing, 150 homes destroyed with more to follow and with temperatures in the mid to high 30s in the coming week and that's just NSW. The Southeast of Queensland is also suffering badly, currently in NSW we have over 80 bushfires with 40 of them out of control.
We live out in the sticks to some extent but still in the Sydney Metropolitan region and are supported locally by the Volunteer Bushfire Brigade. There are many of these volunteer brigades in Australia staffed by unpaid local volunteers and they are the ones who are fighting these fires, sometimes losing their own home at the same time. This is one of the things that impressed me when we first arrived here, every employer, including mine understood that a volunteer would be paid regardless and could be called upon at any time.
The temperature in Perth next week is forecast to be up in the 40s and we can expect much the same a few days later as the West wind sends it over. And not a drop of rain in sight.

Looks like climate change is causing bush fires in Australia, and sending what rain you did have over here ! I don't know if you get much UK news in Aus, but we have major flooding around Doncaster, Sheffield and a woman has drowned near Matlock. Derby and Newark seem to be suffering a bit too. Our weather is certainly starting to get a bit more extreme, though I guess still within pretty limited parameters compared with most of the World.

LK, we do get UK news here but not much in the way of detail, I was expecting the Forest game to be off due to waterlogged pitch. I learned today that over the last year or two the average temperatures here had increased by 1 degree and that was enough to account for the lousy weather we have been getting. Today (Monday) NSW has over 400 schools closed today and tomorrow and other restrictions due to the ongoing problems with bushfires some of which have been burning for several weeks. The temperature forecast for where we live is 38 degrees tomorrow with strong winds, this coupled with bone dry bush and ground is what creates the problem. There's no simple solution, we have bushfire fighters from all over Australia and overseas, the thought of having to put up with another few degrees on top of that gives me a headache. These days we are helped by helicopters and fixed wing aircraft but it's still not enough to do a decent job. The Southeast of Queensland is in a similar position to NSW.

If the Reds are to gain promotion we need another 2 or 3 signings mainly to produce more goals, if we stay as we are we'll never manage it.

After today our Govt should be taking Climate Change a bit more seriously. Over 600 schools shut in NSW, 86 bush fires still going, 45 of them out of control and it's 9.10 on Tuesday evening here. The fires actually reached Sydney this afternoon along with a dust storm blowing in from the interior, it actually blotted out the sun. And we learned that in addition to NSW and QLD, there are now serious blazes in South Australia and West Australia and it's still Spring. I can hardly wait to hear the news in another 5 years time.

And some people still have doubts.

Monday evening here and a lot of smoke from a big fire on the Northwest outskirts of Sydney, so far it's burnt out over 300,000 acres over the space of several days and is not contained. Tomorrow the forecast is 39 degrees followed by more of the same in days to follow and a change in wind direction which will only make things worse. Many of the fires in NSW and QLD have been burning since August and are no nearer now to being put out than they were then.
The effect on wildlife has been horrible, koalas for example, slow movers who live in trees, have suffered badly and they are not the only ones. Frequently it's impossible to save any of them.
The forecast for Summer and the rest of the year is hot and dry, more of what we already have. Doesn't bear thinking about.
Our scientists relate most of this to Climate Change. Unfortunately our politicians are slow on the uptake and while they are starting to talk about it don't actually seem to be doing a lot.
They used to call this the lucky country, unfortunately these days we're led by idiots who seem to be more concerned with their hip pockets.

Apologies for the whinge although it doesn't seem to make me feel any better.

The system is causing the inaction.
The truth of the matter is that people will vote out any government that will do anything about it because it will be costly.

We NEED multinational treaties/pacts/unions like the EU for national governments to blame the necessary policies on. But this needs to be allied with doing a good job of promoting their reputations as a force for good at the same time. In the UK we've been panning the EU to such an extent that some people mistakenly thought it was a good idea to leave. We need more pacts not fewer. Or Australia's koalas and the human residents of California will continue to burn to death.

Anyone watching Zimbabwe on the news? No water. No hydroelectric power.

This is large parts of the world becoming uninhabitable. Right now.

The mass migration of peoples will begin soon. Its going to be apocalyptic.

Dreadful annual climate report out today.
We're fucked, gents.

Our only hope is scientific progress in technology but the scientists are being systematically undermined and defunded.

Nobody believes us anyway so we might as well just keep the tech to ourselves if it gets invented and watch the world burn just to spite those who revel in a fact free political landscape.

In Australia we're in real trouble already, most of the country is suffering badly from drought, fires on the eastern side of the continent have been going strongly since August, in NSW we have over 80 today with over 40 out of control and it's still Spring. We have had a good many days when bushfire smoke in Sydney has been over the 800 mark and that's serious. Yesterday (Tuesday) we had a violent thunderstorm in Sydney which knocked out the power in over 86,000 homes and businesses, it's 9.0 on Wednesday evening now and over 40,000 of them are still without power.
This year all of a sudden our politicians have discovered that our continent is desperately short of water to the point that some towns in the outback are having to ship water in. The effect on our wildlife, birds, fish, and fauna is alarming and the weather forecast for Summer is more heat and no rain. We even have rivers which have stopped running.
Mind you we do have politicians who are great talkers. Thank goodness we are getting some movement from independent individuals and companies who do appreciate the problem.

It's a lousy situation And I think we're too late.