Climate change. | Page 11 | Vital Football

Climate change.

On a lighter note (much lighter) you've hit the spot with your two videos, I'm an addict from way back, runs in the blood I think, my dad was a train driver for 45 years, that's all he ever wanted to do, so I'm fairly familiar with steam trains. We were over in the UK in 1980 for a holiday and I paid a visit to the train museum in York, from memory think I must have bought just about all of the postcard stock. I've still got many of them. I haven't watched your videos yet, saving them for when I've a bit more time. Thanks.

Last edited:
Feco, I've just watched the first of your videos, 3801 returning to Thirlmere, initially the penny didn't drop but when I started to watch I realised that it was in Oz. And Thirlmere is only about 1.5 hours up the road from here. And they have a pretty good museum which includes a few "old fogies" prepared to show you around and chat. I've been there a couple of times and enjoyed it, also bought some posters at the same time and converted the best of them into pictures, now hanging on the wall.
Looking forward to watching the next one now. Thanks again.
As you say "not quite climate change" but a welcome change.

Sad news about the C130 crew this week ORF. They are very brave people flying something that size and weight at 100ft and 120knts. Not much room for error.
Hopefully there efforts will be recognised.
As LK says very little news about the fires is being reported here in the U.K. now. Unfortunately for the vast majority of our population it doesn’t involve a celebrity or Royal so it’s now beyond the attention span.

On a happier note, although given this is a Climate thread, probably not the best place to post, but I saw that 3801 steamed again yesterday. The engineers who have completed the rebuild have done an excellent job, she looks in fine condition.

My kids used to have A Steam Train Passes on a video loop, it would run for hours, so seeing her back in action brought back some happy memories.

A brilliant record of a different life, and a very iconic film too.
Very nice. My lad likes a train or two.
Or 26.
Or more.

I'm glad you enjoyed the videos
The Steam Train Passes one is an iconic film apparently. One of my sons works as a TV and Film set designer, this film came up during his Uni studies, which was quite useful as he had been watching since he was 4.
If you look at each station, the train has stopped in a different era. Basically the film traces 3801's history as well as detailing the lives of its passengers. The producer had a few other notable successes....Dances With Wolves. I guess he knew his stuff.

ITTO, if your lad likes steam engines, have a look at this one.

https://www.cockothenorth.co.uk/

It maybe an unfortunate name, but if these guys can get it built, then it would be one of the most powerful locos in the UK, including the modern types.
The Tornado crew are also building a P2, but theirs is really a hybrid, its Tornado with an extra set of wheels.
COTN will be as true a replica as can be made, given the new rail regulations in place.
A group of old guys have spent the best part of 20 years researching, finding and then converting the original drawings into CAD drawings.
The frames are cut and soon to be machined, but they still need about £5m to complete.
It's pretty sad that their numbers are now diminishing as they pass away, once they are gone, if the money isn't there I think the project will end.
I help out a little now and then, but I don't have the time to do that much, nor do I have the necessary experience to add much to the project.

Anyway, after putting more smoke into the atmosphere, probably best to go back on topic.

7PM here on Friday and it's been hot, 39C, over 60 bushfires still going strong in NSW, 10 of them out of control at the moment and the forecast for tomorrow is 46C here and strong winds due to start up some time soon. Seems to be happening on a fairly regular basis this Summer and we're having a job to get topside of it. And a state of emergency has just been declared for Canberra with a serious fire which is out of control and due to cross into NSW tomorrow as well. It seems to be never ending and serious rain is the only thing that will fix it, and there's none forecast.
Our Prime Minister would have done much better had he been a used car salesman. As a leader he's pathetic. But he is very religious though.

I suppose one day we'll have so much rain I'll be complaining about floods, at least it will be a change.

Feco, I've just watched the second of your videos and really enjoyed it.
It does remind me of when I was a small boy, we never had spare cash and when my dads holidays came around we'd end up on the night train to Aberdeen, spend all day looking round and catch the night train back again. No charge. In those days the bridge over the river Tay in Scotland was very low and it always looked to me as though we were going to end up in the river, I was scared stiff.

Think I'm due for another visit to Thirlmere.

Thanks again.

7PM here on Friday and it's been hot, 39C, over 60 bushfires still going strong in NSW, 10 of them out of control at the moment and the forecast for tomorrow is 46C here and strong winds due to start up some time soon. Seems to be happening on a fairly regular basis this Summer and we're having a job to get topside of it. And a state of emergency has just been declared for Canberra with a serious fire which is out of control and due to cross into NSW tomorrow as well. It seems to be never ending and serious rain is the only thing that will fix it, and there's none forecast.
Our Prime Minister would have done much better had he been a used car salesman. As a leader he's pathetic. But he is very religious though.

I suppose one day we'll have so much rain I'll be complaining about floods, at least it will be a change.

I see that the fires are now pretty close to your seat of Government. Hopefully that will focus their minds a little.

There has been a bit of discussion regarding how government cuts in the forestry departments has made the situation in Aus much worse.
Apparently a lot of the clearing work in the bush and fire prevention programs that used to prevent these situations have been cut, meaning fire management is near enough impossible now without natural intervention. Obviously Gods busy somewhere else at the moment.....and his deputy in Canberra isn’t up to the task.

Another video on the C130 crash. Not particularly pleasant viewing, but the presenters views are worth listening too.
This guy is a current 777 pilot for American Airlines, and ex military pilot on C130’s amongst others, and he has experience as a pilot on fire control missions.
He is also a qualified aviation engineer.
His comments on how this run was made, and the pressure being put on pilots is interesting.

47C out here today and it feels like we're back to square 1. This morning I bumped into one of our local volunteer firies who filled me in with some of the detail. He was just about to leave for the South Coast with 4 other blokes to relieve another local 5 on our local tanker, each stint lasting 5 days and nights. And that's aprox 250 miles away. That's how the system works, no pay involved, it's all voluntary. And it's typical of how some of Australia operates.
The fires in general are still there and going strong, no end in sight, and there won't be until we get heavy consistent rain.

I see that the fires are now pretty close to your seat of Government. Hopefully that will focus their minds a little.

There has been a bit of discussion regarding how government cuts in the forestry departments has made the situation in Aus much worse.
Apparently a lot of the clearing work in the bush and fire prevention programs that used to prevent these situations have been cut, meaning fire management is near enough impossible now without natural intervention. Obviously Gods busy somewhere else at the moment.....and his deputy in Canberra isn’t up to the task.

Another video on the C130 crash. Not particularly pleasant viewing, but the presenters views are worth listening too.
This guy is a current 777 pilot for American Airlines, and ex military pilot on C130’s amongst others, and he has experience as a pilot on fire control missions.
He is also a qualified aviation engineer.
His comments on how this run was made, and the pressure being put on pilots is interesting.

Feco, I'm running short of time at the moment and haven't been able to watch your video yet but will do shortly. The Canberra fire is out of control and dangerous now menacing the suburbs, also over the border into NSW, not helped by extreme temperatures and strong winds. The temperature down there has been up round the 40C mark today and will be similar tomorrow, it's also grown considerably in size. We also have several other new fires to go along with all this, just as well this is now the last month of our Summer.
And so far our clown of a PM is still failing to learn.
More later.

Feco, I've just watched your video of the C-130 tanker crash and found it quite informative. I've seen the crash a couple of times on TV and thought that the plane may have got lost in the bushfire smoke at the site but it looks as though there could be a bit more to it. We'll know more shortly, it's a sad business.

I'm surprised that you would be hearing about cuts in our Forestry and Parks departments, looks as though it might have been going on for a while, among a few other well hidden things. And now we're beginning to find that the chickens are coming home to roost. Over the years I've decided that most politicians and political parties aren't worth wasting breath on, perhaps more so over here where life earlier on seemed to be a bit easier, but times are changing here as well and the old pork barrel is beginning to get found out. Bearing in mind that on top of having a Federal Parliament we also have 7 State Parliaments as well, that makes a lot of hungry politicians and it's my misfortune to know a couple of them. Wouldn't give two bob for the lot. At the moment and naturally enough we're hearing a lot about how we're going to deal with the bushfire threat in the future and every man and his dog seems to be on the bandwagon, at a cost of course. In some ways this is a bit of an odd country, in spite of my moaning and groaning I'm still in touch with a number of younger fellows who are involved in the Volunteer bushfire brigade, giving up their time and sometimes pay to do a fairly thankless job. There's hope yet, and I think rain is forecast later in the week so who knows. Next week I might sound completely different.

Feco, I've just watched the second of your videos and really enjoyed it.
It does remind me of when I was a small boy, we never had spare cash and when my dads holidays came around we'd end up on the night train to Aberdeen, spend all day looking round and catch the night train back again. No charge. In those days the bridge over the river Tay in Scotland was very low and it always looked to me as though we were going to end up in the river, I was scared stiff.

Think I'm due for another visit to Thirlmere.

Thanks again.

It is a great piece of filmmaking. If you do get to see 3801, give her a pat from me.

The road bridge between Newport and Dundee isn’t much better. The drop from one bank to the other is ‘interesting’ particularly in icy conditions.
And then of course you enter Dundee....

Feco, I've just watched your video of the C-130 tanker crash and found it quite informative. I've seen the crash a couple of times on TV and thought that the plane may have got lost in the bushfire smoke at the site but it looks as though there could be a bit more to it. We'll know more shortly, it's a sad business.

I'm surprised that you would be hearing about cuts in our Forestry and Parks departments, looks as though it might have been going on for a while, among a few other well hidden things. And now we're beginning to find that the chickens are coming home to roost. Over the years I've decided that most politicians and political parties aren't worth wasting breath on, perhaps more so over here where life earlier on seemed to be a bit easier, but times are changing here as well and the old pork barrel is beginning to get found out. Bearing in mind that on top of having a Federal Parliament we also have 7 State Parliaments as well, that makes a lot of hungry politicians and it's my misfortune to know a couple of them. Wouldn't give two bob for the lot. At the moment and naturally enough we're hearing a lot about how we're going to deal with the bushfire threat in the future and every man and his dog seems to be on the bandwagon, at a cost of course. In some ways this is a bit of an odd country, in spite of my moaning and groaning I'm still in touch with a number of younger fellows who are involved in the Volunteer bushfire brigade, giving up their time and sometimes pay to do a fairly thankless job. There's hope yet, and I think rain is forecast later in the week so who knows. Next week I might sound completely different.

It’s very sad all round. Without everything else, that type of flying is pretty tough. I don’t think the C130 is the most nimble aircraft around, and that low to the ground and being disorientated, you need a lot of luck to get out.

I started doing a bit of research on the fires. I appreciate it has been very hot, but it just seemed as though there was something else.
The one thing that kept getting repeated was lack of forest management.
It seems, and you will know this better than me, that the fires are inevitable in summer, but with management they are containable.
Lack of management is squarely down to budget cuts meaning the work didn’t get done.
Politicians again screwing it up.

On the subject of politicians, the U.K. is holding a UN Climate Conference in Glasgow this coming November.
Glasgow in November is hardly likely to convince anyone of global warming, but there you go.

The conference chairman was Claire O’Neil (nee Perry) former Tory Energy Minister in the last government.
Ms Perry was the typical brainwashed politician when she got the Energy Ministers job, but credit to her, she changed.
She listened to what people told her, and was personally quite approachable.
She seemed to grasp that there is a major problem and it needs tackling.

Of course that doesn’t sit well with the Government and to certain extent she became marginalised.
So she stood down as an MP at the last election, and took up a role fronting a number of climate change lobby groups, including the UN conference.

Anyway Boris sacked her from the Conference role on Friday night ( nice timing on Brexit day) replacing her with someone from the governments business department.

Claire may not have been everyone’s cup of tea, but she is passionate about the role she is now doing.
Which probably meant she would not be popular with the politicians. Home truths and all that.

It is spectacularly stupid to think she will go quietly now she is free of government control.

Greta may have a new ally

Short of time again at this moment but will go into detail a bit later.
But to add just a bit, all this was preceded here by a drought which lasted close on 12 months, was then followed by excessive temperatures which turned into the worst fires we have had in my time here and again broken up by bad storms which created more problems. This combination has not been seen here since records began.
The fires have been going on since last July, rain is forecast this coming week and with a bit more luck than we've had recently we may be able to do something about it.
We badly need your Claire over here!

Glasgow in November is hardly likely to convince anyone of global warming, but there you go.
Think just had a relatively warm patch, it seems possible it could turn out perfect if its 25 degrees or summat :)
'She' needs an education before trying to educate people with one. worlds gone mad

You really couldn't make this up. Courtesy of the Daily Telegraph . How is Mr Average supposed to make the right decision when the information we are being given is all wrong.

A new generation of ‘plug-in’ hybrid cars emit up to three times more greenhouse gases in ‘real world’ driving than official figures suggest.

A series of studies found the fuel consumption in the plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEVs) was far greater on the road than claimed.

PHEVs are powered by a combination of battery-powered electric motor and a traditional combustion engine. But they only have a short range in electric mode - typically of between 15 and 25 miles - amid warnings motorists are neglecting to charge them and instead choosing to run them on petrol only.

In a shock announcement on Tuesday, ministers said sales of new hybrid cars would be banned from 2035 onwards. But experts said last night PHEVs could actually be emitting more CO2 than equivalent petrol-only cars, which are more fuel efficient because they are not as heavy as hybrids which have to carry extra weight of a battery and motor.

It’s very sad all round. Without everything else, that type of flying is pretty tough. I don’t think the C130 is the most nimble aircraft around, and that low to the ground and being disorientated, you need a lot of luck to get out.

I started doing a bit of research on the fires. I appreciate it has been very hot, but it just seemed as though there was something else.
The one thing that kept getting repeated was lack of forest management.
It seems, and you will know this better than me, that the fires are inevitable in summer, but with management they are containable.
Lack of management is squarely down to budget cuts meaning the work didn’t get done.
Politicians again screwing it up.

On the subject of politicians, the U.K. is holding a UN Climate Conference in Glasgow this coming November.

The conference chairman was Claire O’Neil (nee Perry) former Tory Energy Minister in the last government.
Ms Perry was the typical brainwashed politician when she got the Energy Ministers job, but credit to her, she changed.
She listened to what people told her, and was personally quite approachable.
She seemed to grasp that there is a major problem and it needs tackling.

Of course that doesn’t sit well with the Government and to certain extent she became marginalised.
So she stood down as an MP at the last election, and took up a role fronting a number of climate change lobby groups, including the UN conference.

Anyway Boris sacked her from the Conference role on Friday night ( nice timing on Brexit day) replacing her with someone from the governments business department.

Claire may not have been everyone’s cup of tea, but she is passionate about the role she is now doing.
Which probably meant she would not be popular with the politicians. Home truths and all that.

It is spectacularly stupid to think she will go quietly now she is free of government control.

There is general acknowledgement here that Climate Change is responsible for the extent of fires this year and at long last our apology for a PM has agreed, maybe looking ahead to the next elections. One result of this is that we are having a series of investigations which now involve our fire chiefs (who are first rate) and other knowledgeable folk in addition to the usual array of pollies. Thank God. And if the authorities have any sense they'll include some of the more experienced aboriginals as well. A number of the fires have started their own storms as well which haven't helped. It's a real mixture and there will be no easy answer.
And for a change it's started to rain, gently, but the forecast is for possibly a couple of inches over the next 4 or 5 days. About time we had a bit of help from above.
The message here is clear, Climate Change is here to stay and is the direct cause of our current serious problems in Oz. We have to learn how to deal with it.
Feco, general opinion here is of the opinion that cost cutting and a degree of miss management,could be political, haven't helped.

Rain at last!

7.30 Friday evening here and today we've had 4 inches of rain. In some parts of the state they've had floods and down here there have been road closures. What a country. The forecast for the next 2 days is heavy rain followed by another 3 days of lighter rain. At this rate our water restrictions will be lifted. Also forecast are heavy winds which are exactly what we don't want as it will result in trees getting blown over now the ground is soaking.
One good thing about this is that some of the fires will have been eliminated, not all, but a good many.
I have no idea whether the rain and winds can be connected with climate change, probably not, but we have an awful long way to go. At least this will get us started, I hope.