Climate change. | Page 12 | Vital Football

Climate change.

I hope the floods aren't too bad.

It's started in the north of NSW and is working its way down South. The Byron Bay main street resembles a river and looks as though it could be fairly serious. At the moment Sydney has minor flooding in some parts but might be completely different in 3 or 4 days time.
We live on top of a ridge so it's unlikely we'll suffer from floods although we might get blown away.
There's no doubt in my mind that the climate is suffering from change, just hope we can keep up.

Yesterday (Friday) Byron Bay had 270mm of rain, that's approx 11 inches in the old language, no wonder it swept away cars in the main street. It's been raining in Sydney for a couple of days now but we're due for the big downpour on Monday as the system works its way down the coast. We only had 70mm on Friday.
There's one good thing about it though, today we've only got 40 fires left in NSW and rain is the only thing that will put them out.

These fires have played hell with our economy and now the virus problem in China has put the final nail in our year in that our tourist trade has gone for a flier. China is our biggest trading partner and on top of that our unis are normally full of Chinese youngsters, not now though as we won't allow any Chinese in for a while.

Our nearest neighbour is Indonesia, so far they say they haven't had a single case of this virus in their population of 270 million, in spite of a large population of Chinese. Help.

:(

Our volunteer firies are having a well earned rest at the moment but we now have the problems thrown up by too much rain and very strong winds. We now have our State Emergency Services (S.E.S.) on call in lieu. They are unpaid volunteers as well.
Really don't know what we'd do without all these fellows.

9.45 PM Sunday here and it's still raining hard, we've had 100mm (4 inches) today so far and the forecast is even more tomorrow. More of the fires have gone including at least 1 of the really big ones and by big I mean over 2 million acres.
We're now starting to get problems due to the rain causing floods and landslips as the weather goes down the coast.
We lost all power this morning due to the weather and it came on again just a minute ago. In the meantime one of our trees blew over and landed on next doors drive, in the morning I'll have to check the rest of the place. We were told that approx 25,000 homes lost their power today.

Thanks for the updates.

On a less extreme note, we're having a bit of windy weather here. A tree blew over onto my cousin's fella's car and he is supposed to fly to Nigeria tonight. Inconvenient.

The RNLI crews are performing heroic miracles, as usual.

Thanks for the updates.

On a less extreme note, we're having a bit of windy weather here. A tree blew over onto my cousin's fella's car and he is supposed to fly to Nigeria tonight. Inconvenient.

The RNLI crews are performing heroic miracles, as usual.

We're not the only ones then, your windy weather has been shown on our TV, what does RNLI stand for? I'm well and truly out of touch.
Our wet weather has played hell in Sydney,we've had 2 days resulting in 400mm (16 inches) which has flooded roads and rail and buggered our power supplies again, 140,000 homes without electricity and some will have to wait a week before getting fixed. We are lucky, it's been out all day but just came back on. 6.40 PM on Monday here. The system is making its way down the coast and is forecast to hit all the places already ruined by fires. In Sydney the rain is due to resume on Wednesday for the rest of the week, I can hardly wait.
We haven't had this sort of wet weather for a good many years and I've no idea whether there's a connection to climate change, probably get the experts opinion in due course.
One of our pollies, Minister of Transport, lives down South in an area burnt almost right out and was down there during the fires. He's a changed man and a firm believer now, he was actually in tears during an interview on TV. I've revised my opinion of him.
We've had quite a few instances of trees falling on cars, sometimes empty, other times with occupants. Did your cousin's bloke get his flight?

Our dog is all aquiver, thunderstorm rolling in again. I'm the nursemaid tonight.

Incredibly windy and quite a lot of rain here yesterday, though generally our winter has been pleasantly mild. No snow around where I live at all so far this winter. I guess global warming makes the hotter countries worse, but does have some benefits on a purely local scale in milder climates. We are getting far more prone to flooding from rain though , and I guess coastal places will suffer as sea rises.

Not as keen as you are on trains, but I do enjoy watching Michael Portillo's Railway Journeys. (Do you get those in Oz ?). Not watched them yet, but I recorded his series on Australia, and there are currently two series on with American Railroads and Asia. Interesting that his Alaskan almanac (he always travels with an old rail book) said that the Alaskan glaciers were disappearing in 1890 due to global warming !

RNLI is the Royal National Lifeboat Institution. News shows one of their boats turning right over, and luckily (or by design?) finishing the right way up again. You really wouldn't want to be out at sea yesterday !

Incredibly windy and quite a lot of rain here yesterday, though generally our winter has been pleasantly mild. No snow around where I live at all so far this winter.

Can't believe that within 5 hours of posting that, we get a load of snow and Nottm grinds to a halt. Took over an hour to drive four miles home at 3 in the afternoon, so not even rush hour, and snow less than an inch deep. Not helped by the fact that Clifton Bridge is still out of action. Watched the Leeds game on Sky, guess it's a choice between the train and the tram tomorrow night.

I'm feeling a bit seasick after watching that, we're getting king tides at the moment as well and they're doing a fair bit of damage. In the old days the lifeboat fellows were unpaid volunteers I think, is it still the same? I watched Portillos series set in England a few months ago but have to admit that his book gave me the willies at the finish although I enjoyed the rest of it. Currently we have Griff (sounds English but maybe Welsh) railroading round Oz, so far I've seen 3 episodes and enjoyed them all and learned a few things at the same time.
Climate is definitely changing over here, and quickly too, I dread to think what it will be like in 50 or 100 years time.

10.30 AM on Thursday here and it's raining cats and dogs, you wouldn't believe it. 25,000 homes still without power in Sydney and some not going to be fixed until Sunday, that's providing that a cyclone off our coast doesn't create more damage. There's talk of getting the army in to help. And we're still on water restrictions even though our capacity has increased by over 20% in the last week.
The rain is forecast to last until Sunday, perhaps then we'll have a bit more idea of the extent of the damage, it's considerable.
One bright light though, we're getting a visit from your Prince William and his lovely wife Kate, you would be surprised at how popular they are here. It will be a help.
We're due for more thunderstorms this afternoon, our dog goes barmy and next doors ginger cat sneaks into my music room looking for a feed and a bit of understanding.

Snow !

What's that?

Less than an inch of snow on Monday, but Nottingham managed to notch up the title of the Worlds most congested city for the evening !! Took my daughter 2 hours 15 minutes to get home from work (despite starting from Eastwood before 4 o'clock), my son took an hour and 20 minutes to drive a similar distance (about ten miles), and took us over an hour to drive four miles (stating off at 3, so not even rush hour).. Not helped by Clifton Bridge being closed (looks like it could be for a few weeks now!). Went to the Forest match on the train on Tuesday, for the first time in about forty years. Had to leave before the end to catch the train back, so if anything exciting happened in the last 5 minutes, let me know. It certainly didn't happen in the first 85 minutes !

Think we could match you for congestion, the rain has played hell in Sydney, closed roads and bridges, wrecked the power supply and left us in a mess. And we're not out of it yet. Not helped by the State Govt selling off a big part of our electricity set up and the first thing then was the new private owner getting shut of a largish part of the labour force. Nothing new there, and we've had to call in tradies from other states to help out.
In the meantime January just gone has proved to be the hottest January on record in Oz, and the last five have also broken the record. Also the news that all the fires in NSW have been contained, not sure what that means, I doubt that they're all out.

And that's another game that we should have won, we won't be going up this season. Nor next unless we get a couple or more of new faces. Years ago we used to catch the bus into the city and always walk from there. Mind you, I was younger, and single.

Saturday evening here and 9,000 houses and businesses still without electricity Most of them have had no power for a week now, you can imagine the situation if you have 3 or 4 small kids, cold showers and different food. It's no joke. And we're in the middle of another thunderstorm. The cyclone off the East coast is doing quite a bit of damage to the Sydney beaches in fact they are all closed down today. Too dangerous. It's difficult to know how much of this is due to a change in the climate but some of it is and we'll probably know eventually how much.
Australia has always been a continent of extremes of weather but what we're getting now is well over the top, no matter where in the country you live.
And some of this is due to the oceans warming up, it's starting to affect our fishing industry.

I'm finding it hard to concentrate as the thunder is affecting our dog again who in turn is starting to bother me. And I'm already bothered about our football team, not sure what our owner has in mind but our method of signing new players is not quite perfect, and so far there's no sign of improvement. (Just my opinion)

10.30 AM Wednesday morning here and the power has just come back on. Over 12,500 customers affected this time in our local area. We had another bad storm last evening resulting in the loss of electricity, more damage and another excess of rain. Gives us much more to whinge about. And I've just spent the last hour picking up broken branches and associated mess.
We've been here over 50 years and have never had a spell like this, the climate has very definitely changed for the worse and seems to be carrying on in the same way. Our PM is talking about it now although not actually doing anything yet, and we are still approving more coal mines. Money is still dictating terms.
We are in the last month of Summer, just hope that Autumn brings a bit of relief.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...nomists-warn-climate-crisis-threat-human-race

Hey @Calvin Plummer even JP Morgan are now saying that we are on an unsustainable course, criticise their own (fossil fuel) investments and explicitly day that they can't rule out that human-caused climate change could lead to extinction of humans.

I personally don't care about humans much/any more than other species but it would be a shame I suppose.

These JP Morgan types are one of the worst parts of the problem - and this is still a leak rather than a statement of their change of policy (I wish..!) - but these are the only voices that might lead politicians to consider a longer term view.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...nomists-warn-climate-crisis-threat-human-race

Hey @Calvin Plummer even JP Morgan are now saying that we are on an unsustainable course, criticise their own (fossil fuel) investments and explicitly day that they can't rule out that human-caused climate change could lead to extinction of humans.

I personally don't care about humans much/any more than other species but it would be a shame I suppose.

These JP Morgan types are one of the worst parts of the problem - and this is still a leak rather than a statement of their change of policy (I wish..!) - but these are the only voices that might lead politicians to consider a longer term view.

Interesting point itto and worthy of comment. It's only a week ago that I read that some of our financial institutions have started to change their lending habits with a view to cutting down on coal and oil and the rest of them and promoting the alternatives.

Where there's hope......................