Climate change. | Page 10 | Vital Football

Climate change.

Thanks for your thoughts Feco, you're right with all of your observations. There's no sign of rain on the horizon where it matters and there's no doubt in my mind that our Govt will wake up one day to find that we're out of water, no rivers, no fish, and next to no wildlife.
That's stretching it a bit but we're on that track right now and we should be doing something about it. But we aren't.

Yes 11 hours it is, Feco is just a bit ahead of himself.
The resulting damage from yesterdays fires down the coast of NSW and Victoria is immense, the authorities are busy trying to get it all sorted but it will be a day or two before they know the full extent. Starting to lose a few lives now as well. We are now seeing what happens when we get a serious drought followed by more dry weather and high temperatures, and this is what is forecast for our future.
And our pollies insist on telling us that all is on track for a positive ending. What a load of old cods.
The weather forecast is the same on this coming Saturday as it was on New Years Eve, that is in the 40 degree mark again and by that day we won't have cleared all the folk from their holiday setups Partly this is because a good many of these seaside venues which tend to be full at this time of the year are only accessible by one road and that road is out of action due to the fires. What a mess.

I'm familiar with the stats and the lady is partly correct but Aus is only one of the coal producing countries. The problem here is that we're talking about jobs and obviously if you're not a coal miner you must do something else. But what? We are working on it but it's a slow process and we have a Govt which is far too slow off the mark. Most of our coal goes to China and the Govt angle (they tell us) is that mostly it's of a quality used to make steel, which the world cannot do without. We are actually in process of cutting down on the approval of coal mines but it's going to be a slow job. (In my opinion)
Probably Feco would know something about the varying qualities of coal, I don't.

Coal is basically graded as 4 sub sections if you include peat.
Lignite or brown coal is essentially sub surface peat, dirty and with little heat output.
Bituminous is generally deep mined, black and often quite shiny, it burns much hotter than either peat or Lignite and is more carbon intensive, so is more efficient as a fuel.
Bituminous is often classified as either sub-bituminous or bituminous, the difference being the development stage from lignite to ‘proper’ coal.
Bituminous is often used as power plant coal.

Anthracite is the best quality highest carbon coal and these days is generally used for steel making. It is normally the deepest mined.

In steel making, it is converted into coke which is pretty much pure carbon, and is then fed into the furnace as a raw material alongside the iron ore.
Unfortunately if you want steel you need coal.

Australia has some of the best anthracite or high carbon coal hence why the Chinese buy a lot.

My old Power Station used US coal, Kentucky coal to be precise.
It had an unusual feature of refusing to burn anywhere other than on conveyor belts or bunkers.
But it was cheap......

Bit of advance planning there ! This is a bit like time travel. Can we talk to someone who is in a different year to us !?

Happy New Year !

I like to get in there early!!

Talk to someone in a different year,??? we’ve been talking to people in a different century on the Brexit thread!!

Wishing you and your family a very happy and healthy 2020

It turns out that 2019 was the hottest year on record for Australia, 1.5 C over the top.

We are now looking at the result.

What point are you trying to make? That we shouldn't bother?

I'm not saying we shouldn't make an effort. There are lots of things we can do to improve our own UK environment, reduce waste etc , but adding a trillion pounds to UK debt as the Green Party want will make no difference to global climate change. It would be more useful counting the pollution that we cause through consuming goods from outside the UK, and attempting to reduce that. As I've said before there are more reasons than one (pollution, human rights etc) for not dealing with China, but as we all know money always counts more than everything else. I guess we can also invest in advanced technology in the hope that we can export some of it to other nations, and stop them going through the same stages of pollution that the UK has gone through in the past, though on a scale 50 times larger in the case of China and India, as they become more wealthy.

Last edited:
It's obvious to me that Aus is one of the first advanced countries in the world to start feeling the effects of Climate Change and it's not easy to take when you know that we could and should have done much more about it than we have. And I've had the impression that a majority of us knew this. Yesterday we recorded the highest temperature ever recorded in Aus, 48.9 C, and it was in the Sydney Basin, close to home and resulted in an increase in bush fires which were already very bad, and extensive. Today it's cooler but the wind has turned right round and has been strong enough to start further fires. There are no winners here.

The effect on our flora and fauna is just horrible, as is the loss of homes and lives.

The only bright spot has been that our PM has cut short his holiday in Hawaii and has just involved the Army and Navy in the fight. He's also started to visit some of the burnt out towns and villages, at the same time trying for photo shoots for TV. He is shown several times on TV trying to shake hands with people and the results have back firered badly with some of them quite obviously refusing and telling him to bugger off. And so would I.

This week there is the possibility of a shower, maximum of 3 or 4 Mills, only the possibility though and quite useless.

We badly need a political leader but regrettably there's no one in sight.

I'm not saying we shouldn't make an effort. There are lots of things we can do to improve our own UK environment, reduce waste etc , but adding a trillion pounds to UK debt as the Green Party want will make no difference to global climate change. It would be more useful counting the pollution that we cause through consuming goods from outside the UK, and attempting to reduce that. As I've said before there are more reasons than one (pollution, human rights etc) for not dealing with China, but as we all know money always counts more than everything else. I guess we can also invest in advanced technology in the hope that we can export some of it to other nations, and stop them going through the same stages of pollution that the UK has gone through in the past, though on a scale 50 times larger in the case of China and India, as they become more wealthy.
And yet you're not following your own advice to count the pollution we cause by outsourcing our carbon budget. This little england - let's do something for our own UK environment - mentality has to stop. It's one planet. Let's show some leadership in the world rather than shrivelling up into our own navels.
If we don't deal with China we might save some air miles but we won't eliminate the damage we're doing. It would be nice if we had just voted in a government that would invest in (rather than cut investment for) the emerging tech you and I want to see. Exporting that would be fantastic! We used to lead the way in turbine tech. Oh dear...

And yet you're not following your own advice to count the pollution we cause by outsourcing our carbon budget. This little england - let's do something for our own UK environment - mentality has to stop. It's one planet. Let's show some leadership in the world rather than shrivelling up into our own navels.
If we don't deal with China we might save some air miles but we won't eliminate the damage we're doing. It would be nice if we had just voted in a government that would invest in (rather than cut investment for) the emerging tech you and I want to see. Exporting that would be fantastic! We used to lead the way in turbine tech. Oh dear...

I'm not following my own advice to count outsourced pollution ?? I have said we need to improve , but if we have zero emissions here it will make virtually no difference to climate change. Of course we could also make things better by manufacturing in the UK, rather than carting car parts etc backwards and forwards across Europe, which the EU seems to like.

It seems to be you that suffers from Little England syndrome. Outside the EU the world is our oyster. Some of us have far more faith in the UK than you do.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/study-finds-uk-is-second-most-powerful-country-in-the-world/

Last edited:
An official figure here which shows the extent of the burnt out area in South-East Australia so far. It would extend from Portsmouth and Brighton on the South coast as far North as Sheffield, And from Norwich in the East to Birmingham in the West, and that's a lot of land.
Nationally 26 deaths so far and nearly 2,000 homes destroyed,
And approx 130 fires still going strong in NSW with the forecast building up again into the 40s by Friday.

Wonder if our PM still thinks it's not directly connected to Climate Change. What an idiot to be leading us.

An official figure here which shows the extent of the burnt out area in South-East Australia so far. It would extend from Portsmouth and Brighton on the South coast as far North as Sheffield, And from Norwich in the East to Birmingham in the West, and that's a lot of land.
Nationally 26 deaths so far and nearly 2,000 homes destroyed,
And approx 130 fires still going strong in NSW with the forecast building up again into the 40s by Friday.

Wonder if our PM still thinks it's not directly connected to Climate Change. What an idiot to be leading us.

I really can't imagine what things are like there. I hope things are ok for you. From what we hear it sounds like the fires could go on for another two or three months, and that the smoke is even having an impact as far away as New Zealand.

I really can't imagine what things are like there. I hope things are ok for you. From what we hear it sounds like the fires could go on for another two or three months, and that the smoke is even having an impact as far away as New Zealand.

LK, things are OK for me and all the family members too, although we have one son living in Cooma which is a town near the Snowies and a bit near the worst action. I saw a photo yesterday of our smoke over Auckland which had drifted over the city and had to stifle a laugh, nothing really to smile about.
I tend to talk about Sydney and environs because that's where I live and I can see what's happening but the whole country is affected to a degree although the worst of it is in the Southeast which is mainly NSW and Victoria. All this could go on for months yet, the only solution is serious rain and there's none forecast. It's probably worth noting that the fires follow a long period of drought which has left the countryside in a hell of a mess and tinder dry.
All the experts relate this to climate change and the indirect message is that we'd better get used to it.

Our bloody helpless and hopeless govt has finally seen just a bit of daylight and decided to pour a bit of cash to the folk who have lost their homes (including those without insurance cover). Always gets to me about lack of insurance, the oft repeated bit about "it's the next thing we were going to do". If you have a mortgage, get insurance, the message is obvious. To me anyway and in the early days I never had spare cash either. But always had insurance.

I could go on but don't want to be more of a pain in the arse than I already am, thanks for the thought.

How are things over there ? British news has gone from showing the Aussie fires to showing rain and green shoots bursting through the ash. Implies that most of the fires are out now, though being the news it could just be that they got bored. You haven't posted any updates recently. Are you too busy knitting pouches!?

Not knitting pouches yet LK, not quite my cup of tea but we have been doing all sorts of associated stuff designed to help out the injured animal situation, and it's serious. The official figures indicate that the fires swept through over 80% of the known habitat of 49 listed species and at least 50% of another 65 species. The majority of these are plants and these figures are very conservative.
Currently we still have over 70 fires still active in NSW and decent rain is the only thing that will put them out. Last week we did have some rain but not enough to be really useful although it might get a bit of grass growing again. Unfortunately it was accompanied by a load of storms which left a stack of damage in NSW and Melbourne.
I've just been looking at a photo of a dust storm in NSW yesterday, 300 metres high and 200 kilometres wide and impossible to see a thing in it. Our pollies have started arguing amongst themselves at last about the effects of climate change although our PM still sticks to his antiquated views, what an idiot.
What a country.

35C today, forecast tomorrow is 42C and another month of Summer still to go.

The fires have played hell with our animals and birds and the feral foxes, cats etc have been having a great old time. The govt is instigating a cull, if they follow their usual routine we'll still be waiting next Xmas.

The fires have shown up a few other things too. The deaths through burning of hundreds of thousands of sheep and cattle resulting in sky high prices for their meat, and dairies going out of business through loss of cattle and shortage of fodder. And the need to cull camels and wild horses as there's a shortage of their food. Plus the fact that there's a desperate shortage of grass.
One of our boundaries is a local creek and I once found a platypus in it when we were first in this country, that's 54 years ago, now they're almost gone, the fires being only partly responsible.
There are occasions when the march of time gives me the willies, it's all too easy,never mind the cost.

It's mid-day on Friday here, over 40 C and a fierce Northwest wind blowing all the very hot air from the interior. And 8 fire engines have just passed our place on their way to a blaze 10 kilometres away, that's in the Sydney Metropolitan area. Mostly they would be manned by unpaid volunteers, including our local mob and they do a mighty job. This weather is forecast to be here until some time in the morning.
Just stopped briefly for a bite to eat and while I've been eating another 4 firetrucks have passed us, they would have been pulled in from 40 or 50 miles away or even further away than that, it's a pretty good system and works well.
Our pollies are arguing amongst themselves now but our idiot of a PM is still going to do it in a canter, only thing is that he's using predated figures which have been proved to be wrong.
And they call this the lucky country.

Sad news about the C130 crew this week ORF. They are very brave people flying something that size and weight at 100ft and 120knts. Not much room for error.
Hopefully there efforts will be recognised.
As LK says very little news about the fires is being reported here in the U.K. now. Unfortunately for the vast majority of our population it doesn’t involve a celebrity or Royal so it’s now beyond the attention span.

On a happier note, although given this is a Climate thread, probably not the best place to post, but I saw that 3801 steamed again yesterday. The engineers who have completed the rebuild have done an excellent job, she looks in fine condition.

My kids used to have A Steam Train Passes on a video loop, it would run for hours, so seeing her back in action brought back some happy memories.

A brilliant record of a different life, and a very iconic film too.