Match Thread: Lincoln City v Colchester United | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Colchester United

Nothing beats lifting a trophy does it?

Biggest despointment was some fans booing at half time. Obviously we're all disappointed about the result, but all teams have off days and unfortunately today was one of them. Lots of players will be unhappy with their performance today, but let's give them a break - it's been a fantastic season. Of all the games for players to have off days and make mistakes today was that day! We had little to play for and Colchester had everything to play for. I thought Danny summed up the season perfectly with his speach. Another reminder of how fortunate we are.

We were actually lucky to go in at half time only 3 0 down. We were on the beach and Colchester were well and truly at the races. They were fantastic - fast, direct and excellent on the ball. If they can keep that squad together and get some consistency they will do well next year. Second half I thought we were much improved, but struggled to create enough chances considering the amount of possession we had. I actually feel very sorry for Colchester to come to the champions away, play like that and miss out on the play offs by an 87th minute goal must be very hard to take.

Obviously we haven't finished the season as well we would like. 3 losses in the last 4 games and no goals in those games highlights the struggle of motivating players with the job done and the Cowleys will be disappointed with that. That will all be forgotten in a few weeks time, but what will be written in the history books is Lincoln City - champions of League 2 for 2018/2019. Amazingly still won the league by 6 points - as they say do the hard work early! Cowley will have work to do this transfer window to improve the squad. Top of my list is a creative central midfielder and goalscorer. Perhaps the two hardest and most expensive positions to fill. However, with the Cowleys record, I have 100% faith in their decision making and aqusitions.

What a season! Already can't wait for the next one!

Last edited:
I'm not going to post a dissection on today- we weren't on it today but we are champions and I've seen my team lift a football league trophy for the first time in 43 years.

S'all I needed really.

NC commented on radio how tough it has been for the players to raise that last 5% since we were promoted.

We are champions and that is good enough for me.