Match Thread: Lincoln City v Colchester United | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Colchester United

A wonderful day today spoilt a bit for me by many many so called imps fans booing at half time and also in the second half. Absolutely ridiculous given the season we have had. This new found entitlement that some imps fans have is ridiculous. If you were one, hang your head in shame........

On a more positive note, really looking forward to tomorrow to show the team and management what we really think of them.

The summer has come at a good time for us now to recharge I just hope if we go through a sticky patch next season the fans stick by the team and don’t just expect to win like we have for the last 3 seasons..... time will tell

UTI

Thought O’Hara and Pett were totally out of the game today and Anderson and Andrade didn’t provide nothing out wide. I just felt we looked shattered and one eye on the beach.

Take nothing away it’s been a remarkable season and achievement, and time to rest up, build the squad and look forward to League 1.

A wonderful day today spoilt a bit for me by many many so called imps fans booing at half time and also in the second half. Absolutely ridiculous given the season we have had. This new found entitlement that some imps fans have is ridiculous. If you were one, hang your head in shame........

On a more positive note, really looking forward to tomorrow to show the team and management what we really think of them.

The summer has come at a good time for us now to recharge I just hope if we go through a sticky patch next season the fans stick by the team and don’t just expect to win like we have for the last 3 seasons..... time will tell

UTI
I’ve not seen any evidence of any ‘sense of entitlement’ or of ‘expecting to win’ among the wonderfully supportive 8000 regulars who have seen only 3 home wins since Christmas. Please don’t criticise those same fans for expressing displeasure at 45 minutes of unacceptable mediocrity. Danny himself I am sure pulled no punches.

well Gilks is a far more confident keeper than Vickers - thought he was poor today Gilks would be No. 1 keeper next season
Gilks SHOULD be number one keeper next season. His solid and confident displays have made the back four and whole team play with more confidence. He'd be my first name on the team sheet. Regardless of being on the beach, we wouldn't have lost 3-0 today if he'd been in goal. He wouldn't have let it happen.

I’ve not seen any evidence of any ‘sense of entitlement’ or of ‘expecting to win’ among the wonderfully supportive 8000 regulars who have seen only 3 home wins since Christmas. Please don’t criticise those same fans for expressing displeasure at 45 minutes of unacceptable mediocrity. Danny himself I am sure pulled no punches.

I’m sure Danny wouldn’t have pulled any punches. However, We must be the only team that are champions who have fans that boo their team. Don’t underestimate that loss of competitive edge when there is nothing to play for and the team we are playing against have everything to play for. Fergies Man U team always dropped well off once they won the premier league. Yes the home form hasn’t been great latterly but our away form has been one of the best in the whole efl.

Personally I would never boo. I respect peoples right to boo if they want, but would question whether today was the right time........

well Gilks is a far more confident keeper than Vickers - thought he was poor today Gilks would be No. 1 keeper next season

Completely agree. In my opinion Gilks is a superior keeper. His command of the the box is significantly better. I imagine the goals conceeded per game for each player are strongly in Gilks' favour.

Gutted, but fair play to Colchester the only team to do the double over us this season, but still fail to reach the play offs. Never mind eh! No wins in the last 5 games, difficult to see where the next goal is coming from, but surely we need to give D&N at least a couple of games next season. ??????

We were absolutely stinking in the first half today, especially the middle period where Colchester scored their two goals (before a charged down back-pass for the third). Well off the pace, with an improved second half.

When all your consistent 8/10 players - Bostwick, Toffolo, Eardley etc are having a mare, then you know it's a bad day at the office.

Difficult to judge Colchester too much on that performance, really.

No real surprise for me that the results have changed slightly off the back of seemingly experimenting a bit more. The full backs are playing slightly further up the pitch, which is exposing the CB's and we're taking the ball in much tighter spaces at the back and in deep midfield positions than normal.

I usually agree with a lot you say, but Bostwick having a nightmare In my opinion I totally disagree, he was the one player in the 90 that came out with any credit, especially considering the performances around him.

just regarding all the comments on gilks, being more commanding etc etc.
first of all the guy is 37 ?, has premier league, championship and football league experience under his belt, which if he wasn't commanding, and assuring to his back 4 then there would be a problem as this league should be a walk in the park
the other 2 Young keepers are still very much learning their trade and will still make mistakes and still have worldy's
we either have to stick by them and give them the confidence they need or they will struggle. it is a position always under the spotlight when a team loose but the ball always comes from another phase before it hits the back of the net !!

In 1982/83 season, a Liverpool teams consisting of Dalglish, Rush, Souness, Neal, Kennedy, Lawrenson, Hanson, Thompson won the Division 1 title with 7 games to spare.

The last 7 games in their season were 6 losses and a draw.

If post title blues are good enough for Liverpool, I think it's good enough for the Imps.

As I have said earlier- today had been 43 years in the waiting and the idea that we can take any "learning" from today, or the last 4 games, is pointless.

And, for the record, the Liverpool team that lost 6 of their last 7 games at the end of the 82/83 season despite being champions.....went on to win the Div ! title in the following 83/84 season.

There was far too much premature self congratulation weeks ago when first promotion and then the title were confirmed, even though there were several tough matches ahead. However much spin people put on it today’s celebrations have been badly tarnished by an embarrassingly amateurish performance and a good hiding by a marginally above average League 2 side.
While the performance today was poor, we can all understand why. And I do hope the first part of GBL's post isn't serious!

A wonderful day today spoilt a bit for me by many many so called imps fans booing at half time and also in the second half.
You must have been sat near me then. One bloke behind me spent the whole first half complaining. About the team, individuals, Big John, tactics, telling Danny to sort it out. I'm sure Danny will have thought he'd better make some changes because a fan has told him to. I felt embarrassed listening to him. Sure it was a poor performance but I'd rather lose
0 - 3 and go up than win and stay in league 2.

Edited to add, had a great day anyway and UTMI!

Today was not “good enough” because we had already been good enough to win the league at a canter.

If we had been 30-0 down at half time, no one would have had the right to boo. It was about 6 people, who obviously have no touch with reality.

The unexpected highlight today was when the Colchester fans started up the “who are ya” chant.

“Championees, Championees” came the reply, we have not been able to give in the preceding 43 years.

If we don’t win another thing in the next 43 years, I hope I will still have enough breath to consider a boo, but until then Lincoln City deserve plenty of cheers for their efforts this season.

Gilks SHOULD be number one keeper next season. His solid and confident displays have made the back four and whole team play with more confidence. He'd be my first name on the team sheet. Regardless of being on the beach, we wouldn't have lost 3-0 today if he'd been in goal. He wouldn't have let it happen.

Remind me who won us 3 points virtually singlehandedly against Northampton?

While the performance today was poor, we can all understand why. And I do hope the first part of GBL's post isn't serious!
It was. Nothing wrong with celebration but ours verged on a complacent ‘job done’ attitude. That approach has cost this Club dear in the past - this title shouldn’t be the limit of our ambition, if we continue to improve we can move onto bigger and better things. In my humble opinion there’s been too much being grateful for how far we have come and not enough ambition to go onto bigger and better things.