Match Thread: Lincoln City v Colchester United | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Colchester United

By far the worst performance under Danny and Nicky. Something to learn from.

Christ, you're a miserable old git, aren't you? ;)

Ha ha. No. I've said before the current team would be fine in L1 as it is. And that's before it's strengthened.

But there's been quite of bit of getting carried away, don't you think. What with our new 15,000 strong bedrock support and whatnot?

...I'm quite a cheerful fellow. To prove it here's an interview of man deliberately agreeing to torture himself live on BBC Radio Nottingham

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p078bk71

They boo because they have paid money to be entertained. Nothing wrong with feedback

Given those in the Coop must be mostly regulars, I'm still nonplussed. I find a dose of gallows humour, as an Imps fan, helps in such situations.

After all, we weren't playing Aldershot to avoid the trapdoor, were we?

Same result, completely different circumstances.

Sammie Szmodics
He his someone that NC & DC know well & also I think we were looking at him a while back, is he on loan at Colchester or a Colchester player
As he would be pretty good in our forward line.
Good job Bozzy was his usual self.

We were absolutely stinking in the first half today, especially the middle period where Colchester scored their two goals (before a charged down back-pass for the third). Well off the pace, with an improved second half.

When all your consistent 8/10 players - Bostwick, Toffolo, Eardley etc are having a mare, then you know it's a bad day at the office.

Difficult to judge Colchester too much on that performance, really.

No real surprise for me that the results have changed slightly off the back of seemingly experimenting a bit more. The full backs are playing slightly further up the pitch, which is exposing the CB's and we're taking the ball in much tighter spaces at the back and in deep midfield positions than normal.

See also... We have to talk about set pieces.

Our throw-ins are rubbish as well and today we often conceded possession from them.

I think we massively miss freck just for throw ins! He made himself available so easily and could actually pass it back to the thrower!

One thing I will say is though: what the hell has happened to our set pieces and in particular corners? Very poor delivery recently!

Are we still missing Sam in that respect? His presence for set pieces was invaluable in the promotion season.

One thing I will say is though: what the hell has happened to our set pieces and in particular corners? Very poor delivery recently!
Notty's fault. He admitted as much earlier. I think that he thought he was on the beach already...

Lead the team astray....

By far the worst performance under Danny and Nicky. Something to learn from.
There was far too much premature self congratulation weeks ago when first promotion and then the title were confirmed, even though there were several tough matches ahead. However much spin people put on it today’s celebrations have been badly tarnished by an embarrassingly amateurish performance and a good hiding by a marginally above average League 2 side.

Sammie Szmodics
He his someone that NC & DC know well & also I think we were looking at him a while back, is he on loan at Colchester or a Colchester player
As he would be pretty good in our forward line.
Good job Bozzy was his usual self.
He's a Colchester player, out of contract this summer. Reportedly being targeted by Bristol City, Derby County and Hull City.

Played for Braintree on loan when D&N were in charge.

Given those in the Coop must be mostly regulars, I'm still nonplussed. I find a dose of gallows humour, as an Imps fan, helps in such situations.

After all, we weren't playing Aldershot to avoid the trapdoor, were we?

Same result, completely different circumstances.

Indeed which is why I can’t out why he didn’t play the squad players. We looked like we were hanging out of our arse last week why pick the same team.

Good luck to Newport in the playoffs - they were gracious last week!

The important thing is to learn from all games whether they are wins or losses. I certainly learnt two new things today
Youtube style football will soon be with us with the game being played to background music after a successful trial in the last game of the season
Referees are allowed to dock points if bits of paper find their way on to the pitch

Nothing beats lifting a trophy does it?

Biggest despointment was some fans booing at half time. Obviously we're all disappointed about the result, but all teams have off days and unfortunately today was one of them. Lots of players will be unhappy with their performance today, but let's give them a break - it's been a fantastic season. Of all the games for players to have off days and make mistakes today was that day! We had little to play for and Colchester had everything to play for. I thought Danny summed up the season perfectly with his speach. Another reminder of how fortunate we are.

We were actually lucky to go in at half time only 3 0 down. We were on the beach and Colchester were well and truly at the races. They were fantastic - fast, direct and excellent on the ball. If they can keep that squad together and get some consistency they will do well next year. Second half I thought we were much improved, but struggled to create enough chances considering the amount of possession we had. I actually feel very sorry for Colchester to come to the champions away, play like that and miss out on the play offs by an 87th minute goal must be very hard to take.

Obviously we haven't finished the season as well we would like. 3 losses in the last 4 games and no goals in those games highlights the struggle of motivating players with the job done and the Cowleys will be disappointed with that. That will all be forgotten in a few weeks time, but what will be written in the history books is Lincoln City - champions of League 2 for 2018/2019. Amazingly still won the league by 6 points - as they say do the hard work early! Cowley will have work to do this transfer window to improve the squad. Top of my list is a creative central midfielder and goalscorer. Perhaps the two hardest and most expensive positions to fill. However, with the Cowleys record, I have 100% faith in their decision making and aqusitions.

What a season! Already can't wait for the next one!

The failures in the last 4 matches, and indeed the failure to score enough goals at home since Christmas mustn’t be forgotten. I am sure Danny and Nicky won’t forget them, they will have learnt from them and will make the necessary improvements.
We have done well most of this season, particularly away, but will have to do better next season, especially at home, to maintain our progress.