Match Thread: Lincoln City v Colchester United | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Colchester United

There was a fair point earlier in the thread r.e. it being a tough run-in. It wasn't a kind one at a time where, naturally, players will take their foot off the gas a bit.

Also, did the DJ just p!ss off 5 minutes before HT and leave his Oasis CD playing?

And the 'keeper picking that pass back up...

I've read the thread with interest.

For me it was a game too far for us.

A number of players were carrying knocks....Bruno and his ankle, Harry has looked awkward since being dumped in the shale at Carlisle....ouch. I am still not convinced of Vickers' long term fitness and the ridiculous watering of the pitch, when mother nature was supplying ample water seemed somewhat bizarre. I am sure this was a huge contribution to leaking their third. Pun intended.

We weren't able to play Rowe, Shackell was out and Eardley had an indifferent game. We need to realise we had nothing to compete for. Colchester had everything to compete for.

We keep hearing the term "fine margins". The above is a good example of it. When you have nothing to compete for, you see the heads drop after a goal is conceded. For me as soon as we conceded, I knew would wouldn't come out of this game with anything.

Colchester were hungry, and played as they were. Some of our players looked absolutely knackered, or like they were hurting physically. Both meaning that they needed a damn good rest and recovery.

Yes it was a drab end to a marvellous season. Yes it was the first time under the Cowleys, in all competitions, we had gone 0-2 behind at home. Which to be fair is a fascinating stat. Yes it was ironic to hear people booing the champions at half time.

In a way it was quite ironic that a retro shirt day, inspired a retro Imps performance. A good lesson to the new fans that you don't always get your way in football.

OK, So we finished our last four games without scoring. We lost three out of our last four games. I mentioned after Newport that if there is anytime of the season to really have your blip, it is when the fat lady has belted out her songs, and is back in the dressing room, opening her cards to say what a great tour, even if in the last few numbers she missed a few notes.

A few years ago a 0-3 defeat wasn't the worst result we'd had all season. In fact in 2010/11 it was. As we were relegated to the Conference. There were worse results to come, even after that one.

This year we mirrored the same result, and instead of doom and gloom, we lifted a trophy.

Sometimes all it takes is a bit of perspective.

Something that our newer fans may not realise. Let them boo. That saying, however, those of us in the know can greet those boos with an ironic smile.

Last edited:
Did anyone notice Jordan Roberts taking a corner in the second half-surely he should have been in the box ? It was a crap corner as well.

In 1982/83 season, a Liverpool teams consisting of Dalglish, Rush, Souness, Neal, Kennedy, Lawrenson, Hanson, Thompson won the Division 1 title with 7 games to spare.

The last 7 games in their season were 6 losses and a draw.

If post title blues are good enough for Liverpool, I think it's good enough for the Imps.

As I have said earlier- today had been 43 years in the waiting and the idea that we can take any "learning" from today, or the last 4 games, is pointless.

And, for the record, the Liverpool team that lost 6 of their last 7 games at the end of the 82/83 season despite being champions.....went on to win the Div ! title in the following 83/84 season.
And I'm pretty sure they did similar the following season too, won it early and then didn’t win again until winning the European cup on penalties?

P+ssed this tinpot league.

76 points with our superior goal difference, we were actually promoted after the Mansfield game [game38]
79 points with our superior goal difference, we were actually champions after game 39.

We basically coasted in from weeks ago.
Yep we were Champions after the draw with Macc on March 31st when we reached 80 points, yes we've been poor lately but the rest have been bloody awful!
We didn’t need to break sweat.

Had a great day. Celebrations in Mailbox last night cracking. Hanging today!

I started watching after we were last relegated from the third tier. After we got relegated to conference never thought I’d see us make it to the third tier. To have done it in 3 seasons under the Cowleys with the cup runs thrown in to is incredible.

Yeah we were gump first half. Could clearly see where players were at - mentally and physically tired, we have a small squad and they put everything in first 45 games. Not surprised they switched off. And Colchester looked a good team to their credit who had something to play for. No doubt DC will have words with a few. But can’t get my head round booing. It was just a few. But such a short term mind set not thinking about the big picture for me. Booing the champions of league 2 after where we were a few years ago, mad.

When was the last time we were Lincolnshire’s highest placed team in the football league!?

In 1982/83 season, a Liverpool teams consisting of Dalglish, Rush, Souness, Neal, Kennedy, Lawrenson, Hanson, Thompson won the Division 1 title with 7 games to spare.

The last 7 games in their season were 6 losses and a draw.

After that, the remarkable thing is that they still won the League by 11 points!

It was actually 5 losses and 2 draws.

Yep we were Champions after the draw with Macc on March 31st when we reached 80 points, yes we've been poor lately but the rest have been bloody awful!
We didn’t need to break sweat.
We have a lot to thank The Rest for if you consider our home form since the turn of the year. Played 11, scored 11, conceded 10, won 3. But hey ho, we're champions and deservedly so. UTI.

We have a lot to thank The Rest for if you consider our home form since the turn of the year. Played 11, scored 11, conceded 10, won 3. But hey ho, we're champions and deservedly so. UTI.

I agree with you whole heartedly there Clive. Not exactly brilliant....I think that is the worst return since Chris Moyses time.