Match Thread: Lincoln City v Colchester United | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Colchester United

It was. Nothing wrong with celebration but ours verged on a complacent ‘job done’ attitude. That approach has cost this Club dear in the past - this title shouldn’t be the limit of our ambition, if we continue to improve we can move onto bigger and better things. In my humble opinion there’s been too much being grateful for how far we have come and not enough ambition to go onto bigger and better things.

This season's job - DONE (some time ago).

To paraphrase - life is too short for consolidation - (does not sound complacent).

Have n't heard anything from anyone that matters - that reflect a lack of desire for bigger and better things. Just a realisation it won't get easier.

There was far too much premature self congratulation weeks ago when first promotion and then the title were confirmed, even though there were several tough matches ahead. However much spin people put on it today’s celebrations have been badly tarnished by an embarrassingly amateurish performance and a good hiding by a marginally above average League 2 side.

If you can’t enjoy it I feel genuinely sorry for you.

The first football league title in my lifetime. What an achievement by a wonderful team.

If you booed at half time or somehow think the result today tarnsishes this wonderful achievement, fuck off and don’t come back.

P+ssed this tinpot league.

76 points with our superior goal difference, we were actually promoted after the Mansfield game [game38]
79 points with our superior goal difference, we were actually champions after game 39.

We basically coasted in from weeks ago.

Gilks SHOULD be number one keeper next season. His solid and confident displays have made the back four and whole team play with more confidence. He'd be my first name on the team sheet. Regardless of being on the beach, we wouldn't have lost 3-0 today if he'd been in goal. He wouldn't have let it happen.

I would not want to criticise one player, but it is entirely correct to say Vickers screwed up badly on each of those goals today and messed up at least one more time when another goal should have gone in.

He can be brilliant, who can forget his match winning performance away at Northampton?
But today was most certainly at the other end of the spectrum and beyond it.

Oh well.

So i do really really hope Gilks signs on for another season. He has been totally superb since joining us and we would not be Champions without him.

The decision then is whether Vickers and/or Smith is kept too. Both very capable for sure but it's another level up and reliability and control of the area matters just as much as saving shots. Gilks is way way ahead on that game awareness.

Unfortunately i couldnt watch the game . Sounds like one of them games where nothing worked . End of season champions promoted can anyone on the back of that really complain. Im sure there has been better teams have worst days. Pre season ins and outs will be massive only then will we have any inkling of how next season may pan out. Notts county will be more gutted on there season then we have any right to be.

Interesting patterns of play, everytime we came forward or beat a man they fouled or tried to. Tone set by No 2 in the few minutes who should have been sent off for two clear yellow card fouls. We were opposites-never getting stuck in, allowing them too much space. Did we foul to disrupt them once? Too nice for orrible Lincoln!
Their 18 at the back was superb.
But I look at the league table after 46 games and my heart bursts with pride. This seasons mission accomplished

I know all teams do it but their keeper started farting about and time wasting from the first minute. After a while th e ref stuck his arm in the air and pointed at his watch.........then let him carry on time wasting. Whatever happened to the 6 second rule at drop ball from the keeper, is it now 6 minutes?. Bit of a thuggish team but they had more to play for than us, nice tho that they score 3 and get sod all for it.

Vickers has been out injured most of the season and needed the game time to test his injury and also his new kicking technique and also his fitness.
With a full pre-season ahead of him he will be back completely fit & ready to go.
Gilks & Vickers 1 & 2 Smith either on loan or released that we will have to wait & see, but we do need a more sharper mobile forward or 2 if we are going to progress.

Had a great day. Celebrations in Mailbox last night cracking. Hanging today!

I started watching after we were last relegated from the third tier. After we got relegated to conference never thought I’d see us make it to the third tier. To have done it in 3 seasons under the Cowleys with the cup runs thrown in to is incredible.

Yeah we were gump first half. Could clearly see where players were at - mentally and physically tired, we have a small squad and they put everything in first 45 games. Not surprised they switched off. And Colchester looked a good team to their credit who had something to play for. No doubt DC will have words with a few. But can’t get my head round booing. It was just a few. But such a short term mind set not thinking about the big picture for me. Booing the champions of league 2 after where we were a few years ago, mad.

When was the last time we were Lincolnshire’s highest placed team in the football league!?

I've never seen Lincoln players argue with each other for a very long time. And it started from the first Colchester break, which left two of theirs in the box versus Bostwick. From that point I feared it was going to be bad. Vickers 'saving' with his head (didn't know anything about it) and then the Colchester chap blazing over from five yards told you where it was going. Eardley tripping over the ball after it hit the post was keystone cops and the weak back pass and the stolen third goal was pretty much the match summarised. Such a shame, that wasn't to me losing a few per cent through competitive imperitive, it was just Sunday league errors from a team who should and have been so much better.

Still, we won the league. Now we need to make sure

The first football league title in my lifetime. What an achievement by a wonderful team.

If you booed at half time or somehow think the result today tarnsishes this wonderful achievement, fuck off and don’t come back.

I understand your sentiment; but take your own advice. Why abuse others that show their disappointment in this way. It’s likely to be an emotional response because a great season (or three) wasn’t the fairytale ending they expected. I doubt they were booing at the end, or for the season(s) as a whole ...it would be shock from that first half showing. If they want to boo, fine let ‘em, they have that right. Onwards and upwards. Hope everyone enjoyed the presentations and celebrations!

Please!? Why water the pitch at half time after all the rain we've had?. Our players slipping up a few times!. We're they playing in plimies?

I usually agree with a lot you say, but Bostwick having a nightmare In my opinion I totally disagree, he was the one player in the 90 that came out with any credit, especially considering the performances around him.

I agree. We were saying (not entirely seriously) that Bolger should be subbed for McCartan seeing as Bostwick was already having to do the job of 2.

Please!? Why water the pitch at half time after all the rain we've had?. Our players slipping up a few times!. We're they playing in plimies?
Been happening for a few weeks, madness. Sure the groundstaff know what they are doing, but it's made it difficult for players.