Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45 | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45

I find it quite ironic how a fair few on here are slagging Smith for doing the same thing week after week and it not working yet in the next breath are saying to get rid of him .

Which is .....errrr.....What the club has been doing to managers for 9 years and ....errrrr....it's not worked !

Smith had an amazing recruitment team at Brentford / there is no guarantee he can replicate that here.

Looking at his signings in January, he looks to be struggling.

He looks lost to be honest, sorry but that’s what it looks like.

If these players are not good enough to play DS's way how come they did it for him when he first came to us?

Smith had an amazing recruitment team at Brentford / there is no guarantee he can replicate that here.

Did they follow him from Walsall?

Maybe yes.

BUT, it's getting worse under DS. And I like DS, but this gig is too much for him right now. And him being a villa fan is actually detrimental imho. It's too close to home for him , like shearer managing Newcastle.
We need an experienced hand on the tiller here

Yeah of course 3 defeats in 17 is no base on which to build at all is it......totally out of his depth with a squad which erm......isn't his! Change the bloody record!

Said at the time his January signings are not long term. That's why they are mostly loans. Trying to plug the obvious gaps. We won't keep the likes of Mings and Carroll.

It’s that stage of getting stuck into the players, manager and even now our fellow fans. It all is a bit of a mess. Solutions: We can’t get rid of our fellow fans obvs. We are all needed. The manager simply hasn’t had long enough. So the first change has to be the players. Their desire is questionable I agree, but the real issue for me, is how they play football. Let DS have a go over 2 seasons- maybe he will get there with his philosophy, maybe not, but we need to look to next season- and that’s with losing Tammy, JG (FFP problem gone) and perhaps John Terry. Conclusion: we start all over.

Maybe yes.

BUT, it's getting worse under DS. And I like DS, but this gig is too much for him right now. And him being a villa fan is actually detrimental imho. It's too close to home for him , like shearer managing Newcastle.
We need an experienced hand on the tiller here
I get your point referencing Shearer mate, but Smith has experience.

We have players who think they are bigger than the manager.

Ship them out, get in players respectful and who want a career properly rather than taking their wage packet and Smith will excel - as he always has done.

We could've gone the other way with a name manager to keep them in check - that implies we want to keep these wasters. We've started from the top down, the summer will solve a lot.

For me, this is why January was about the future - people out on loan, loans to buy to find out about them, let them earn it etc.

It's not a quick fix.

We need to be patient.