Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town | Page 23 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town

Having seen the, erm, what is so clearly, handball again, the referee and the linesman ought to just quit now. If one of them doesn't see the clearly outstretched arm, what game are they actually watching?

Haven't seen it Jules but 10 vs 12 makes today's point all the sweeter. We'll just go about our business despite the refs.

I was furthest away in the ground quite literally. Right in the back of the Co-op at the South park corner. And I saw Harry's leg going in and said "that's a red" before the Ref even moved let alone reacted to it. You could see the leg going in.

I'm not so sure it was a lunge, probably more just a desperate attempt to get the ball which ended up being late but the boot was off the floor and thus studs up. Yet to see a clear replay though.
The only big decision the ref got right all game. It looks worse on highlights than it did live.

out of interest what part of the ground were you? In real time on the ifollow it looked like a deliberate lunge. The lunge may not have been intended to get the player, but it landed on his shin. At best it was reckless endangerment. Also in real time I knew it was red before the ref even got to his pocket.

Opinions are just impossible.
Lower Coop block 5. It looked like an extremely robust challenge by both players, but angle and distance inconclusive. I accept it was justified on the evidence of those with a better view, but the referee had just had 10 minutes of giving everything to Northampton after ignoring the assault on Freck - I am sure you can appreciate our frustration. Later events did nothing to raise the referee in our estimation, albeit he did get the Harry decision right.

Last edited:
Back and settled now. Thought we started slowly but were probably set back by the assault on Freck’s, which he never got over.

When 11v11, it was disappointing if that we created so little in the way of chances. Good goal from Andrade, his sending off at Swindon seems to have made him reassess his game, well made by Akinde. Great work particularly from Andrade and Rowe running with the ball and making themselves available during this period.

Harry should apologise to all his team mates, so much time to pull out of the tackle that was getting further and further away from him. Just dreadful, needs to think, gave ref no choice.

Their goal sprung from a catalogue of defensive failures. Shack’s poor clearance, why didn’t he hoof it? Free kick given in dangerous position. Short corner not defended. Self inflicted, and just before half time. Did we not need that.

Thought we did ok second half, worked hard, Akinde is better in such circumstances, when he rolls up his sleeves. Shack did better, O’Connor did well and the team jelled. Blatant penalty decision went against us but still fighting to the final whistle. In the circumstances, a point gained rather than two lost.

Still on course to win the League, but it’s not going to be by any easy route.

UTI

Last edited:
Back and settled now. Thought we started slowly but were probably set back by the assault on Freck’s, which he never got over.

When 11v11, it was disappointing if that we created so little in the way of chances. Good goal from Andrade, his sending off at Swindon seems to have made him reassess his game, well made by Akinde.

Harry should apologise to all his team mates, so much time to pull out of the tackle that was getting further and further away from him. Just dreadful, needs to think, gave ref no choice.

Their goal sprung from a catalogue of defensive failures. Shack’s poor clearance, why didn’t he hoof it? Free kick given in dangerous position. Short corner not defended. Self inflicted, and just before half time. Did we not need that.

Thought we did ok second half, worked hard, Akinde is better in such circumstances, when he rolls up his sleeves. Shack did better, Wilson did well and the team jelled. Blatant penalty decision went against us but still fighting to the final whistle. In the circumstances, a point gained rather than two lost.

Still on course to win the League, but it’s not going to be by any easy route.

UTI
Wilson was not playing?

Not going to be popular here but I actually think the ref has done all right - don't think he's missed much at all. Harry was always second best for the ball and went in with his feet forward. Always a red card for me.
Leaving aside the red card decision the referee made many, many incorrect decisions throughout. Early first half he was twice conned by Andrade going down too easily. Andrade’s markers after that were all over him every time, holding, pulling, kicking, and theatrically falling over, and nearly every time the ref fell for it. This prevented the Imps getting any sort of momentum.

Poor first 30 minutes- little fluidity and couldn't get going. Quietest part of the game from the crowd as well

We scored and settled down with some nice play.

Anderson tackle was a red as soon as it happened- ref running across into his left pocket. It's not about intent, it's about reckless and out of control.

Thought we may hang on to half time but they sneaked a 6 yard toe poke.

2nd half- thought we were excellent. Only one team wanted to win and only wanted team was being roared on by the crowd. 2nd half never looked like 10 v 11.

Penalty seemed a stone wall decision but the ref bottled it.

Akinde was superb today and had their defenders continually at him on and off the ball- he is such a complete handfull

Andrade was unplayable at times and back to his pre December best.

Shacks 2nd half particularly was a colossus.

Enjoyed the 2nd half almost as much as any this season (except for the absence of a 2nd goal- we showed such determination, desire and commitment.

Before the game I hoped for 3 points.
After the game we find ourselves 3 points clear with a game in hand and 10 points clear of 4th.

Will do for me.

Poor first 30 minutes- little fluidity and couldn't get going. Quietest part of the game from the crowd as well

Anderson tackle was a red as soon as it happened- ref running across into his left pocket. It's not about intent, it's about reckless and out of control.

2nd half- thought we were excellent. Only one team wanted to win and only wanted team was being roared on by the crowd. 2nd half never looked like 10 v 11.

Akinde was superb today and had their defenders continually at him on and off the ball- he is such a complete handfull

Enjoyed the 2nd half almost as much as any this season (except for the absence of a 2nd goal- we showed such determination, desire and commitment.

After the game we find ourselves 3 points clear with a game in hand and 10 points clear of 4th.

Will do for me.

Quick correction - 9 points clear of 4th with a game in hand or 9 points clear of 5th without a game in hand but the goal difference is worth an extra point.

That second half was a proper Cowley half, though, wasn't it? I mean, he loves the underdog, siege mentality, backs to the wall type games and although it wasn't the latter, the fact it was 10 vs 11 gave it that feel.

10 vs 12 or even 13 if you include the linesman on the coop side. The linesman on the other side did a good job

Will do for me.

Absolutely spot on!

Will do for me.
This. Saved me typing. I would add I thought Northampton were poor. Showed no intention to score second half and little ability. Filled the back line with three big donkeys and cleared their lines. We had a go. I enjoyed it. 90 mins of good, honest league football. Ref was a chancer, but aren't they all. Loving being top of the League. Loving where we're going. Can't wait for Stevenage and I am sure 3 points.

10 vs 12 or even 13 if you include the linesman on the coop side. The linesman on the other side did a good job
The linesman on the Co-op side was in at my workplace last week (had no idea he was doing our game today).

Same guy who reffed and sent off Nat Brown against Torquay under Simpson.

He was also the linesman at the Vale game last week when Miller was sent off. Said it was probably the worst abuse he'd ever had a football game there.

The linesman on the Co-op side was in at my workplace last week (had no idea he was doing our game today).

He was also the linesman at the Vale game last week when Miller was sent off. Said it was probably the worst abuse he'd ever had a football game there.

He got a fair bit of abuse today too, probably caused by the bloke in the middle to be fair. That said I think most people were more upset about the referee. I reckon we had three penalties in the dying minutes of the match. How he ignored all three I have no idea. The handball was 100% a penalty but he must have blinked or something?

Until today

We are feeling robbed by the late penalty (ies) not being given, but we’d still have needed to score it.

With Akinde, Freck and Rhead not being on the pitch, who would have taken it?