Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town | Page 25 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town

Probably no-one would have wanted to, after the uproar against Akinde last week.
If a footballer doesnt have the confidence and belief to take a penalty when asked, or the strength of character to take some criticism, then I suggest he choose another career path! Professional sport in front of paying crowds probably isn't for them.

If a footballer doesnt have the confidence and belief to take a penalty when asked, or the strength of character to take some criticism, then I suggest he choose another career path! Professional sport in front of paying crowds probably isn't for them.
And at times a 'baying crowd...........also some 'baying'posters on here!?

No it wasnt malicious...very few red cards are for genuinely malicious challenges....but if Anderson's tackle had happened against one of our players we would have been incensed. It was pretty bad tbh.

I also think Anderson and Andrade do go down much too easily particularly in the penalty area. Again, if they were playing against us we'd call it out for what it is.
I am increasingly thinking football should be looking to the sin bin.
Many games are spoiled as a contest by a player being sent off for non malicious challenges.
My solution would be a mix of what they do in rugby league and union.

For obviously very dangerous or cynical challenges a straight red card could still apply.

For more borderline fouls, those which should be discouraged for health and safety reasons - such as Anderson’s, where if the foul was committed 100 times,someone may get seriously injured about twice - then an orange card - and a ten minutes sin bin would be the appropriate decision.

It would still punish and deter these tackles, but not make one borderline tackle and refereeing decision define the whole game, and spoil a contest for 10,000 paying customers. (I can remember lots of red cards but not many serious injuries resulting from these offences).

Every orange card could be reviewed by the assessor and any decision which should have been a red card can be changed and a retrospective red card and suspension applied.

I am increasingly thinking football should be looking to the sin bin.
Many games are spoiled as a contest by a player being sent off for non malicious challenges.
My solution would be a mix of what they do in rugby league and union.

For obviously very dangerous or cynical challenges a straight red card could still apply.

For more borderline fouls, those which should be discouraged for health and safety reasons - such as Anderson’s, where if the foul was committed 100 times,someone may get seriously injured about twice - then an orange card - and a ten minutes sin bin would be the appropriate decision.

It would still punish and deter these tackles, but not make one borderline tackle and refereeing decision define the whole game, and spoil a contest for 10,000 paying customers. (I can remember lots of red cards but not many serious injuries resulting from these offences).

Every orange card could be reviewed by the assessor and any decision which should have been a red card can be changed and a retrospective red card and suspension applied.
Good post. Far too many matches are ruined by early red cards for non malicious poorly judged tackles. These should be punished but not to the extent of an immediate red card.

And at times a 'baying crowd...........also some 'baying'posters on here!?
I'm not saying it's easy, nor are a lot of jobs. If we get something wrong in our jobs, we can't hide the next time something similar needs doing! Sure, we don't have thousands of people criticising us, but we do get it. Take it on the chin and get on with it.
Failing that I'll bring my 30 year old boots and I'll take the next penalty for free.
People make mistakes and others will criticise them for doing so. Cest la vie!1
Finally, DC keeps telling us that we have a squad full of character, and I think most of us agree. I'd be very surprised if we didn't have someone willing to step up! Or is the manager wrong?

I also think Anderson and Andrade do go down much too easily particularly in the penalty area. Again, if they were playing against us we'd call it out for what it is.

Totally agree they go to ground far too often. About half way through the first half Harry took a ball on his chest and ran into the box, went down under the challenge, I was a long way off to see it clearly but there was a big shout for a pen. Ref waved play on, it was alresdy about the 4th time he gone down, I think the regularity of appealling for these does influence the ref against giving them.
In front of the SW? He lost his balance more than anything.

Last edited:
Something else I remembered, summed up the day. BBC goal notification for Northampton goal came through saying 45+5 when there were 4 minutes added time

On a lighter note, chap next to me in the queue to get in said this was the 1st game he had been to since we played Chippenham Town.
Was trying to work out if he thought he was at Lincoln United

I remember that match,great game with end to end football ,loads of goals and the mass pitch invasion at the end.
The day climaxed when Dorrian came out of the directors box and conducted the singing supporters down on the pitch.
(sunny day..lots of fans wearing shorts and in good voice.)
Those were the days,can`t wait to play them again.......decent Chippy fans in large numbers.

Wow, somebody speculates over whether players would take a penalty and it's then used to berate the players as if it were fact...

Wow, somebody speculates over whether players would take a penalty and it's then used to berate the players as if it were fact...
It's not who's willing to take the penalty, it's who's been nominated by the manager before the game. or else it could be complete chaos as we have seen once or twice before players trying to take the ball off another player.

I thought our second half performance yesterday was one of our best this season and i honestly believe we deserved to win. Angol would have taken the penalty that should have been given and we would i am sure have got the win we deserved. I am a very proud Imps supporter today.

Minimum of 4 minutes don't forget not a maximum.
The free kick the corner came from that lead to their goal was incredibly soft thought our player won the ball?

It's not who's willing to take the penalty, it's who's been nominated by the manager before the game. or else it could be complete chaos as we have seen once or twice before players trying to take the ball off another player.
Danny has said several times that he leaves it to the players to decide who takes penalties.

I too like the sin bin idea but I'm not sure that FIFA/UEFA or even our FA have the inclination to use it. It would need a complete overhaul of the card system on a global level and as they can't get VAR right at multi million pound grounds with cameras everywhere I can't see them looking at this change anytime soon