Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town | Page 24 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town

Poor first 30 minutes- little fluidity and couldn't get going. Quietest part of the game from the crowd as well

We scored and settled down with some nice play.

Anderson tackle was a red as soon as it happened- ref running across into his left pocket. It's not about intent, it's about reckless and out of control.

Thought we may hang on to half time but they sneaked a 6 yard toe poke.

2nd half- thought we were excellent. Only one team wanted to win and only wanted team was being roared on by the crowd. 2nd half never looked like 10 v 11.

Penalty seemed a stone wall decision but the ref bottled it.

Akinde was superb today and had their defenders continually at him on and off the ball- he is such a complete handfull

Andrade was unplayable at times and back to his pre December best.

Shacks 2nd half particularly was a colossus.

Enjoyed the 2nd half almost as much as any this season (except for the absence of a 2nd goal- we showed such determination, desire and commitment.

Before the game I hoped for 3 points.
After the game we find ourselves 3 points clear with a game in hand and 10 points clear of 4th.

Will do for me.

Great summary. Not too much to add.

Apart from the goal we defended very well. Northampton looked fairly ineffective going forward, but that's probably due to how well we defended.

Thought Pett struggled to get into the game when he came on.

How the ref missed the freck incident and handball, God knows. Hope freck is okay. Could be a cracked rib.

Finally just to echo your words on Akinde and andrade (and to throw Rowe in there). I thought they were all excellent.

He got a fair bit of abuse today too, probably caused by the bloke in the middle to be fair. That said I think most people were more upset about the referee. I reckon we had three penalties in the dying minutes of the match. How he ignored all three I have no idea. The handball was 100% a penalty but he must have blinked or something?

When a goalie puts his hands behind the line to make sure it is out before he catches the ball, the referee points to a goal kick but then the linesman then flags furiously for a corner then that linesman has set himself up for a bad day out! The ref actually got that one right but went with his "assistant referee's" decision.

...not so sure it was a lunge, probably more just a desperate attempt to get the ball which ended up being late but the boot was off the floor and thus studs up. Yet to see a clear replay though.

I'm not too sure how to describe it other than in real time it appeared as if he was reaching for the ball and then made a secondary movement with his leg landing half way up the player's shin.

I'm not too sure how to describe it other than in real time it appeared as if he was reaching for the ball and then made a secondary movement with his leg landing half way up the player's shin.
Consistently a red these days. Very different in the 60s and 70s when intent was needed for a sending off. Dismissals were very rare in those days.

My bad; second easiest decision. The penalty was the easiest.
That was the point I was making about the red card. The buffoon of a ref was blundering into hasty decisions without proper consideration. Some he got right - others he got spectacularly wrong. Seems odd though that every such major decision went Northampton’s way. The clues that this was likely to happen were obvious early on as so many wrong decisions were going the Cobblers’ way.

My initial thoughts as well, but it’d have put him under massive pressure particularly after Akinde’s miss last week. I wonder if Eardley might have been the safer bet?
I hope if you are a striker you would want to take it.

The pressure thing depends on how you view it. One man may think - “He comes the win bonus”, the next “oh god what if I miss”.

Cannot recall Eardley taking a penalty in any Check a Trade shoot out. May be a hidden talent!

A point gained today, but it could and should have been a 90th minute penalty. I have no idea why it wasn't given.

Definitely red. Not malicious, just poor judgment.

ooooooooof.png

No it wasnt malicious...very few red cards are for genuinely malicious challenges....but if Anderson's tackle had happened against one of our players we would have been incensed. It was pretty bad tbh.

I also think Anderson and Andrade do go down much too easily particularly in the penalty area. Again, if they were playing against us we'd call it out for what it is.

We are feeling robbed by the late penalty (ies) not being given, but we’d still have needed to score it.

With Akinde, Freck and Rhead not being on the pitch, who would have taken it?

Probably no-one would have wanted to, after the uproar against Akinde last week.

I also think Anderson and Andrade do go down much too easily particularly in the penalty area. Again, if they were playing against us we'd call it out for what it is.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree they go to ground far too often. About half way through the first half Harry took a ball on his chest and ran into the box, went down under the challenge, I was a long way off to see it clearly but there was a big shout for a pen. Ref waved play on, it was alresdy about the 4th time he gone down, I think the regularity of appealling for these does influence the ref against giving them.