The Andre Green Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Andre Green Thread

Green is very well thought of at Pompey but as we know, it has been been hampered by injuries.

He should never have been sent out on a long term loan, a month one to get game time sure, but he is our future. He is better than the likes of Che Adams, but has never had a sniff.

Can you imagine where they would be now if Nathan Redmund or Damarie Gray were actually ours not theirs .

What is it with us - always been the same - Steven Davis - young player of the year - we bomb him out - nothing ever changes !

Needs to stay at Pompey and improve. Ditto RHM and very surprised that he is not playing regularly on loan at decent Div 1 club, rather than Cambridge Utd.

So, you would rather see our 20 and 21 yr old players on loan in a lower division, whilst we pay 70k a week to a lazy bum instead

Whilst Leeds are walking away with this league with a bunch of teenagers , Derby are in the play offs with similar and even Albion are blooding their future.

As I just said - don't we ever learn. This club is where it is now because we bombed out youngsters like Cahill, Davis and even players like Bannan - whilst we paid 10's of millions replacing them with "good honest professionals" like Dunne, Collins, Beye etc...

Christ, it even took Delph nearly 5 years to get a game !

We're not paying Bolasie 70K a week.

Most wanted Davis to move on.

Leeds aren't playing a bunch of teenagers.

Albion aren't blooding their youth.

Green underwent surgery FFS.

Mike - last night against Derby non the less - 5 players under the age of 20 started and EVERY substitute was a teenager (according to Sky - I havent checked)

I would say that is playing a bunch of kids myself

I see the one of them - Jack something or other, who ws the one who came on for his debut at half time v us and single handedly changed the game is now being talked about as the new Sessignon.

Whilst we play Yannick Bolassie and send our own future on loan to Portsmouth, Cambridge and some blinking part time club in Denmark or somewhere !

Beddou !!!!! - how about hi !! - apparently we beat Arsenal and others to get him - where is he - who is he ??

and yes - Green "underwent" surgery - he aint undergoing surgery today, because last week he scored the winner that put Portsouth into a thing called the FA Cup 4th round - something we can only dream of - oh... against the team 2nd in our league !

Stop talking crap for effect Holte.

You're wrong. The only Under 20 who started was Jack Clarke. Two substitutes - 63 and 79 minutes were under 20 and one of those replaced Clarke.

Again ignoring the fact Green WAS INJURED and now stating youngsters are better than seasoned pros just because of a couple of bad results.

Funny how that logic doesn't apply to Jack Grealish but now Bedeau is a saviour, as is Green and presumably non existent players at Leeds prove we're shit.

Do you actually read outside of the Daily Mail - the headline tells you Green has scored five goals in 17 appearances this year. 5 of those games came with us. He's scored once this year.

Norwich went light for the game.

Green has only started five games and his recent matches have been sub only.

He's doing well, but he's not ripping the division up FFS.

We're not paying Bolasie 70K a week.

Most wanted Davis to move on.

Leeds aren't playing a bunch of teenagers.

Albion aren't blooding their youth.

Green underwent surgery FFS.

Spot on Mike. And no you are not in a bad mood just saying what's correct while others pointlessly look at other clubs like a jealous teenager . I dispelled the Leeds youth bollox the other day in a long boring post.

Look at what you coulda won !

This is the league to blood our youngsters in. You can understand that they need to be a different level in the PL, but there are a lot of youngsters being blooded around the league with some success. Not easy if you are transitioning like Villa. Fans demand top 6 and would slate young players (regardless of their protestations to play them prior) if they didn't light up the league. Poor Bree is getting a roasting and has only just come into the team. Tuanzabe was vilified as someone who had never seen a football prior to his switch to CB. Many others have suffered the same treatment, moved on and had some success - some even in the PL

Who was the last TRUE villa youth product to get into our first team and actually be top-class player over a sustained period? Mark Walters? Tony Daley? Gary Shaw? Sid Cowans? Colin Gibson?

Barry doesn't count because most of his development was at Brighton and with the exception of Hendrie (who threw his career away) I honestly can't think of anyone within the past 20 years....

Who was the last TRUE villa youth product to get into our first team and actually be top-class player over a sustained period? Mark Walters? Tony Daley? Gary Shaw? Sid Cowans? Colin Gibson?

Barry doesn't count because most of his development was at Brighton and with the exception of Hendrie (who threw his career away) I honestly can't think of anyone within the past 20 years....

Gary Cahill. The only truly successful product of our academy in my view.

We do this don’t we? When the team are struggling we get glassy eyed about our players out injured or on loan, who suddenly become world beaters.

Generally there’s a reason they’re on loan. I’m convinced and have been from day one that elphick isn’t good enough for us. Same for Bree and Taylor, all of whom have been away from the first team for one reason or another. None improved in their absence. I’d venture that de laet is our only loaned-out player better than what we’ve got, but realise it’s an unpopular view

Green is a case in point. Yes he’s got a couple of spectacular goals over last season and pre season, but I’ve never seen him take on his man on the wing, nor deliver a decent cross. He played at the Wigan home fixture and was shocking. Has struggled to get in Pompey’s team, so is he really all that?

Last edited: