The Andre Green Thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

The Andre Green Thread

Big mistake thinking any of our youngsters are going to help us. They’ll just be more very average bodies moping around in the hinterlands.

Surely it makes sense to recall Greene and send Bolasie back.

Having said that would the previous Villa set up have the brains to insert both clauses

A strange few months for Green. Blasted by pompey fans early on then it's revealed he's been playing through a long term injury. Weeks off and when he's fit he can't get in the 1st 11. Then he starts scoring goals in the cup and the fans want him in the team.

Now he's back at the villa. To be loaned out again or to be given game time? If the it's the 2nd option then its a damming indictment of our current wingers that Smith thinks he needs to recall a kid who hasn't been a 1st choice in the league below.

I'm not saying our wingers are great. But Green is no better than anyone we have got . In fact he would be behind all of who we have in the pecking order in my humble.

Having said that I could be completely wrong. After all, he is young, been playing elsewhere , not been watched by the the majority of villa fans while he has been on loan while we are not doing very well therefore he is going to be THE answer.

Smacks of DS trying to placate the fans during a difficult period by showing he'll give kids a chance.

Problem is we've already seen that Andre Green isn't ready.

I'd rather he gave JDH a chance. Whelan and Barney aren't exactly pulling up trees in that position.

Apart from 2 nice goals (one in a pre-season friendly) I can't remember Green doing anything of note.

But he does have more first team experience than most of the youngsters, so there should be no qualms about throwing him in.

Personally, I think the lad was doing ok before he got injured, I'd like to see what he can do under Smith now he's obviously fit again. certainly can't be any worse than Bolasie last week

In fairness he was doing ok I agree, no better, no worse.

If Bolasie and El Ghazi are going to remain anonymous, then he surely can't do worse.

Smacks of DS trying to placate the fans during a difficult period by showing he'll give kids a chance.

Problem is we've already seen that Andre Green isn't ready.

Think when he first burst onto the scene he was, but then he picked up an injury very quickly and every time he's tried to fight back, the same has happened.

So no, at the moment I agree, he isn't ready and needs to prove he can get a run of games and stay fit at Pompey.

They develop too well these days as well I think (and a former legend I was talking to the other day concurred). They have Men's Health type physiques. They don't need them, not for this 90 min sport.

Also, has to be something wrong at academy/youth level for the constant stream of players we develop who pick up injury after injury. Surely someone at the club can see the pattern?

I dispair of anyone at the club spotting any patterns JF. We have the pattern you refer to, the pattern of signing average players on big money long term contracts, very few youngsters coming right through the acadamy, a playing "pattern" that has been the same whatever manager is in charge and nothing appears to change whoever is in charge.
This has gone on for years and it is to be hoped that the current owners and manager take note.

DS has clearly stated that he wants to improve our own players rather than make loan players better for other clubs. None of us know if he is currently ready or if he can take instruction and improve.

DS has been tasked with coaching players here. Please just give them all a chance before writing them off. I for one will be very happy if Green gets a few games and improves as the season progresses. He obviously has the potential and now needs the opportunity.

Look at it this way - no PL money next season, no big spending on loans or transfers. We need our youngsters ready and the only way to get match sharp is to play. Bree was a regular at Barnsley, so he can obviously do a job in this division. Is he a world beater? No, but I am sure given a few games on the bounce he will improve just like Tuanzebe did (once they got him in the right position).

I think that our collective glass is half empty on this site. We have some very good youngsters and they need all the support and encouragement that they can get.

I'm not saying our wingers are great. But Green is no better than anyone we have got . In fact he would be behind all of who we have in the pecking order in my humble.

Having said that I could be completely wrong. After all, he is young, been playing elsewhere , not been watched by the the majority of villa fans while he has been on loan while we are not doing very well therefore he is going to be THE answer.

I also believe he is a villa fan

Green needs to play. He's getting games at the moment; it's maybe better to send him out on loan again than having him here getting cameo appearances in between the likes of El Ghazi, Adomah and Bolassie. There'll be changes anyway in the summer, and opportunities for DS to integrate him into whatever first team squad we have. Or sell him.

However, seems DS has other plans, and if he'll get playing time here maybe that's right. Certainly none of the above 3 has fully justified their case for playing.

In fairness he was doing ok I agree, no better, no worse.

If Bolasie and El Ghazi are going to remain anonymous, then he surely can't do worse.

He was having a blistering game when his hamstring went and he had to go off. This preseason he played up front and scored a couple of goals. Then the potato-headed muppet sent him out on loan and brought in the injured Bolasie and ElGhazi. Who have since blown hot and cold but certainly haven't set the world alight very often?

A strange few months for Green. Blasted by pompey fans early on then it's revealed he's been playing through a long term injury. Weeks off and when he's fit he can't get in the 1st 11. Then he starts scoring goals in the cup and the fans want him in the team.

Now he's back at the villa. To be loaned out again or to be given game time? If the it's the 2nd option then its a damming indictment of our current wingers that Smith thinks he needs to recall a kid who hasn't been a 1st choice in the league below.

That was my impression of his loan spell but then I was led to believe he had been doing well. The only goal I saw was a bit of an awkward FA cup but hey at least it went in - too many of Greens attempts ended up in the Holte end last season.

Although I am of the view that if his legs hold up, if he can get match fit and sharp and if he develops his finishing and final delivery he could be a very good player for us.

Just a lot of ifs in there to get through. Jack didn’t become class over night, the potential was there as it is with Green.

Is our development of young players who make it into the first team about average for the higher divisions? Lower division and less wealthy clubs have a decent record in bringing on young players out of economic necessity.
I don't know what the general trend is but I'd be interested to know how we fare in comparison to similar sized clubs.
If our success rate is lower then something is wrong.

Is our development of young players who make it into the first team about average for the higher divisions? Lower division and less wealthy clubs have a decent record in bringing on young players out of economic necessity.
I don't know what the general trend is but I'd be interested to know how we fare in comparison to similar sized clubs.
If our success rate is lower then something is wrong.

I remember seeing something claiming our academy had provided the highest number of players who went on to play professionally, but that was a few years back. Our academy has always been rated highly, hence why we were involved in the next gen tournament a few years ago which was invite only to the academys that produced the most players.

We've don't seem to really give our young players a chance though. Gary Cahill sold because the Mon thought Zat Knight was better, Marc Albrighton destroyed by 2 Scottish idiots and replaced with Tonev. Callum Robinson going for nothing and Daniel Johnson sold for 50k without ever playing. I'm not saying that Johnson or Robinson are world beaters but they're good championship players who've come up from league one. If we'd given them a go when we still in the top league would they have developed into better players than they are now?