Match Thread: Lincoln City v Cambridge United | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Cambridge United

The referee obviously decided it was going to be his day and that no-one had any interest in the game at all. Can't wait to hear what DC had to say to the ref at the end - could be in trouble as I don't hink he held back. Noticed he also stopped the players shaking the refs hands.

We are desperately short of central midfielders now - Freck and O'Connor injured, Chapman suspended if the appeal fails.

What I liked about the first 20 mins, is that Rhead played as a proper CF....not a diagonal hoof it to him man. All around me were saying that Cowley got the subs wrong. Maybe he should have put Green on for Akinde. I have to say I think JA is badly out of form. Rheady scored a blinder. The run he made to anticipate that cross was brilliant and on recent form I just couldn't see JA loloping to meet the ball with the same effect.

Perhaps we could have saved a bit of dosh and stuck with second joint top scorer for League Two...Ollie Palmer instead. Danny has never had much luck with signing strikers. Perhaps this is his Achilles heel.

Listening to the Radio Lincs coverage after the game, including post-match talk with DC. Interesting points:
1) red card will definitely be appealed;
2) DC said Cambridge manager and player tackled by Elliot have said they will support appeal as they didn't think it was a red card;
3) DC really gutted because he only recently had a meeting with officials representatives where they want officials to take a little time to make important decisions - clearly this ref didn't get the message as he made an instant decision without consulting his lino or 4th offical;
4) Thommo said the assessors took a good 25 mins after game before they emerged - unheard of.

What I liked about the first 20 mins, is that Rhead played as a proper CF....not a diagonal hoof it to him man. All around me were saying that Cowley got the subs wrong. Maybe he should have put Green on for Akinde. I have to say I think JA is badly out of form. Rheady scored a blinder. The run he made to anticipate that cross was brilliant and on recent form I just couldn't see JA loloping to meet the ball with the same effect.

Perhaps we could have saved a bit of dosh and stuck with second joint top scorer for League Two...Ollie Palmer instead. Danny has never had much luck with signing strikers. Perhaps this is his Achilles heel.

Worst post ever ...take a bow

Last edited:
After Rheads opener I thought we had it in the bag. The sending off really was a dreadful decision and completely changed the game. Thought Rhead would have been the better outlet with 10 but it wasn't to be. Second half they kept possession more and part from the first 10 mins we were constantly chasing the ball. In the end it was a gratefully received point that was worked for. Apart from the results went our way so all in not a bad days work. Roll on Tuesday.

When the opposition manager and the player the 'foul' was on tell you that they'll help in the appeal process, that tells you all you need to know.

Ruined what was turning out to be a good, open game of football.

Missing Shackell, O'Connor and Frecklington with Akinde only on the bench, making a double change and formation change after the sending off wasn't ideal.

Two good goals, a good penalty shout for each side turned down 30 seconds apart but a game where Cambridge's cautious nature after our sending off meant that neither side created much after the 20 minute mark.

Cambridge looked neat and tidy, but a little Crewe like. Easy on the eye, looked like something could happen but invariably didn't.

From a friend in the Library. Chapman was not in control. Studs showing. Dangerous play. Red.

In the 1980s...play on.

Rhead fantastic. Akinde...his young apprentice. Rheady showed why we need for him to start over Akinde....at present showing.

I was in the 'Library' too with a great view of the incident. For my money, your mate is 100% wrong. Mistimed challenge, not 'out of control', no studs showing (as can be seen on the clip pasted on this thread). Booking perhaps... never in a million years a red. Not even the Cambridge players were appealing much once the free-kick had been given.

If you think thats a red, then you wouldnt have any players left on the pitch.
Oh for sure. I'm just referring to the screen shot; the image of studs half way up the shin. I hope I'm wrong, but it's not going to get overturned, is it?

I
I was in the 'Library' too with a great view of the incident. For my money, your mate is 100% wrong. Mistimed challenge, not 'out of control', no studs showing (as can be seen on the clip pasted on this thread). Booking perhaps... never in a million years a red. Not even the Cambridge players were appealing much once the free-kick had been given.

Unbelievable Geoff ,you really have no idea what you are going on about .Pure drivvle

I

Unbelievable Geoff ,you really have no idea what you are going on about .Pure drivvle

Wake up old timer. It was not me who saw it like this, but the view of a trusted friend whom also has officiated regularly. He doesn't view it with red and white spectacles on. He just called it. I trust his opinion over yours....8 days a week.

Wake up old timer. It was not me who saw it like this, but the view of a trusted friend whom also has officiated regularly. He doesn't view it with red and white spectacles on. He just called it. I trust his opinion over yours....8 days a week.
In this instance, he's probably on his own in a 9,000+ crowd because it wasn't a red in a millions year.

Bit of a meh performance in summary
Couldn’t tell if Ellis was a red but the decision took the feet from under us
Personally thought Green was a favourable change to have some legs to run the channels
Not many games do you see both keepers playing for time after an hour
Uti