Match Thread: Lincoln City v Cambridge United | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Cambridge United

There seems to be an absolute rule that stud on shin contact should be an automatic red. As has been discussed there are plenty of other factors to take into account that stills definitely do not show. I think stud on shin = red will sooner or later lead to players looking for and exploiting situations where studs are up for perfectly natural, non malicious reasons.

But if you're a Manchester city player you can catch a player on the thigh and only get a yellow ......

BIt of a bizarre paragraph, bar the final bit which I agree with.

If you go into a block tackle and the ball is nicked away, you still follow through. Your foot won't stop if there's nothing there (a ball) to stop it!
you don't swing your leg when making a block tackle, so there is little or no follow through. and your foot should be behind the ball, not over the top of the ball as chapman's unfortunately was. if you think that is bizarre, fair enough.
there are some good examples here:
https://www.uefa.com/video/skills/video/videoid=1927040.html?autoplay=true

you don't swing your leg when making a block tackle, so there is little or no follow through. and your foot should be behind the ball, not over the top of the ball as chapman's unfortunately was. if you think that is bizarre, fair enough.
there are some good examples here:
https://www.uefa.com/video/skills/video/videoid=1927040.html?autoplay=true
But you have to lift and then put your leg down somewhere in the process. I would like to think that Chapman was in the process of putting his foot down in front of where the ball was before the Cambridge player beat him to it and substituted his leg for where the ball had been.

But you have to lift and then put your leg down somewhere in the process. I would like to think that Chapman was in the process of putting his foot down in front of where the ball was before the Cambridge player beat him to it and substituted his leg for where the ball had been.
yes, late and high, and a technically poor block tackle using a swinging leg. 'i just put my foot on his shin because it was where the ball had been' - doesn't sound great, hope he doesn't use that in the appeal )).

yes, late and high, and a technically poor block tackle using a swinging leg. 'i just put my foot on his shin because it was where the ball had been' - doesn't sound great, hope he doesn't use that in the appeal )).
It wasn't much of a swinging leg and certainly no lunge. Poor technique doesn't make it dangerous, reckless or likely to cause the opponent injury. Especially when you can see he is trying to pull out of the challenge once he realises he is late.

Joe Dunne says it was not a red card, and he was standing less than ten yards away with a perfect view. The player so heinously offended - Gary Deegan - also says it was not a red card. He had a very good view of it, I would say.

Yes, but unfortunately for us, they are not the officials. The FA have to have clear enough evidence to state that the referee was wrong. All the photographic and video evidence appears to back up the referee. Therefore they must go with their official, who to be fair seems to have seen something that only my friend has seen apart from the referee.

For me, having now seen the footage, there is not enough evidence to suggest the referee made an error. I was and still am prepared to eat humble pie on this one....not confident I will be doing so.....

Sadly.

It wasn't much of a swinging leg and certainly no lunge. Poor technique doesn't make it dangerous, reckless or likely to cause the opponent injury. Especially when you can see he is trying to pull out of the challenge once he realises he is late.
yes, seen more dangerous tackles, also seen players sent off for less. going in for a ball like that, which chapman obviously thought he could win, there's a risk. and if it turns out that you don't win it, or even get near the ball, and end up on the fellas shin... there's a possible consequence.

i've watched bostwick going in for 50/50 tackles last season and this, and win most of them. fearsome and committed, but very rarely giving fouls away, and nothing overly high, dangerous or reckless. good technique, ideal player to pass that side of the game on to chapman.

uti!

Did I read somewhere that "intent" had been removed from the definition for a red card? not sure I understand that - would have thought it has to be one of the elements for an automatic red card offence. Also, the challenge has to be deemed as dangerous, ie it could seriously injure the opposing player. Refs should have the nous, and be given the freedom to interpret, what is a dangerous challenge, or with intent, and those should be red cards. Anything which doesn't contain one or both of those two elements should be a yellow, IMO. The still image in this thread doesn't look good, but in real time watching i-Follow I didn't even think it was a yellow, just a FK and a warning to Chapman. Also, as much as we'd like to, you can't take the lad's age and lack of experience etc into account - he is a professional footballer and the ref must only see him as one of 22 players. How long has he been playing football? He knows what is a good and a bad challenge - he just got mugged by a ref that had a knee-jerk reaction instead of taking the time to consider all the issues (when he had time as he had stopped play and the player was 'injured' on the ground) and that, I suspect, is what upset Ellis (& everyone else) more than anything.

I have to say I thought the antics and behaviour of the Cambridge number 20 were pathetic and probably indicate what type of person he is! Gesticulating at the Ref to give a card and then clapping the red card right in front of Ellis's face. What a nice chap you are! Pleased we don't have his sort here! He wouldn't pass the Cowley personality test would he!

Last edited: