World Cup 2018 - Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

World Cup 2018 - Thread

VAR didn't get it right again. Shoulda been a straight red for the Columbian player's reverse headbutt. Ah well, plenty time to engineer the result. FIFA are corrupt as fuck and it's no wonder we didn't join in or even recognise their corrupt tournament until many years down the line.

Kane proved how good he is tonight by doing the dog work holding up the ball and winning free kicks. He has gone up so much in my estimation after tonight. Not just a finisher, an all round team player. Almost as good as Will Grigg, if only he played for England!

VAR didn't get it right again. Shoulda been a straight red for the Columbian player's reverse headbutt. Ah well, plenty time to engineer the result. FIFA are corrupt as fuck and it's no wonder we didn't join in or even recognise their corrupt tournament until many years down the line.

FIFA corrupt as fuck? I think that's already been proven. Var corrupt? Quite possibly, but not necessarily driven by FIFA. You only need to look at cricket with the spot/match fixers which is pretty rife. Quite easy to influence a var official tucked away in some studio, someone of them earning peanuts whilst players earn millions. How they came to the conclusion that head butt was a yellow is somewhat perplexing. The only logical conclusion is outside influence.

I know he didn't make that decision but in general the referee was absolutely pathetic, zero authority and just allowed himself to be intimidated and disrespected by Colombian players. An absolute embarrassment to his profession.

FIFA corrupt as fuck? I think that's already been proven. Var corrupt? Quite possibly, but not necessarily driven by FIFA. You only need to look at cricket with the spot/match fixers which is pretty rife. Quite easy to influence a var official tucked away in some studio, someone of them earning peanuts whilst players earn millions. How they came to the conclusion that head butt was a yellow is somewhat perplexing. The only logical conclusion is outside influence.

I know he didn't make that decision but in general the referee was absolutely pathetic, zero authority and just allowed himself to be intimidated and disrespected by Colombian players. An absolute embarrassment to his profession.
I do think that VAR has been an improvement tho. My main issue is that it's still too subjective ie the reverse headbutt. It was a clear sending off and there's no doubt in my mind that if it'd been perpetrated by an English player the result would've been different.

Viewing figures peaked at 23 million last night for the match on ITV Imagine if we get much further wow

There really is nothing like football, still buzzing today. From highs to lows to highs in the space of about 2 hours, just fantastic.

Unless the referees grow a set of balls, it wont matter how VAR works. The ref last night had no bottle and allowed the Colombian thugs to disrespect all his decisions. He should have told them once to back off and if they remained in his face booked them. It would only take one ref to stand up to the bullies and the harassment would cease.

As far as the game went, England deserved the win but didn't show the enterprise of the two games in the group stages. This was probably down to the downright cheating of the opposition and the weak refereeing. Hopefully facing European opposition in the next round we will not see a repeat of tactics employed last night.

One other point, the Colombian coach who barged into Sterling as he left the field at half time should be banned from the touchline for and fined for his pathetic actions.

England men of the tournament so far David Tripier and Harry Kane.
So called attacking midfielders so far have been biggest disappointment ie Sterling, Ali and Lingard.

Last edited:
We are going all the way, make sure you are in front of the screen when we pick up that trophy.

England men of the tournament so far David Tripier and Harry Kane.
So called attacking midfielders so far have been biggest disappointment ie Sterling, Ali and Lingard.

I'd certainly put Maguire up there with Kane and Tripier.

To be honest i don't think our system is right to get the best out of our midfielders, but at the same time you're right about the likes of Sterling and Ali individually not doing enough. I'd like to see Lotus-Cheek and Rashford given their starting spots against Sweden. I wouldn't be upset if we switched system (a Paul Cook style 4-2-3-1 wouldnt go amiss) but there's no chance of that so just hoping for a couple of personnl changes.

Quality display from Bobs Belgium last night to turnover Brazil. If we don't do it I'd be delighted for him if they did. Neymar and his play acting is pathetic, it's difficult to feel sympathy for them. Hopefully we turn over the swedes today; won't be easy but we have enough to beat them, though I expect they'll have the same view.

The way this world cup is panning out it is so difficult to predict anything.
Come on England do your best , so looking forward to the game, what a glorious summer this is turning out to be.

:bow::bow::bounce::bounce: Crikey .... Gareth Southgate and the players up there with the great Sir Bobby Robson and the 1990 England World Cup team .
Hope Gareth Southgate and this team surpass them next Wednesday.

Great weather, a good world cup and the DW ticket office number is now a local number .... what a time to be alive !

Absolutely brilliant , every player was immense (including Sterling and it will happen for him) don't the BBC do a brilliant job - just reflecting on 1990 s/final, this time we can go one further.
Croatia for me.

Comfortable today, so much so that it barely felt like a World Cup quarter final. You can see this team developing and growing game by game which is very encouraging. A lot of credit to Southgate for making some big decisions well before the tournament let alone during it. Seems an ideal fit for the role. Difficult game against Croatia in the semis but one we're capable of winning, though again the croats will be saying exactly the same. Bring it on.