World Cup 2018 - Thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

World Cup 2018 - Thread

Scandalous. FIFA and the French obviously feared us so put some no mark ref in charge who gave the Croats almost every decision that didn't require the VAR. I seriously hope they fuck France in the final.

There, I said it. Corruption is rife at all levels.

The real final will be on Saturday.

In reality that was the first half decent side weve played and we could only muster up 2 shots on target in over 120 mins. Normal service resumed and if the pundits think we have made progress then they need to give their heads a shake.

No complaints the better team won overall although we could have put the game to bed in the first half. I cant see anything other than a France win but I think Croatia have more of a chance to take them to pens than us.
The draw was kind but we did well to get to the Semi final.

We could and should have been 3 up at half time and it cost us dear. No complaints though Croatia were far better second half good luck to them, Luka Moderic was awesome

There were chances in that 1st half to kill the game and at this level you need to take them . Croatia are a decent side but only a decent side .this World Cup the stars aligned for England it was the chsnce of a lifetime for those players to get to a final and who knows then what might have happened in a 1 off game.

Not entirely sure the best team won it, both today and throughout the tournament as a whole.

Really entertaining 4 or so weeks, lots of drama and talking points. Sadly another var debacle ruined the final and it has generated more controversy than what it's supposed to have resolved. Even with technology the officials have once again proved to be inept. You'd feel sick and cheated if one was Croatian.

French-American and had the time of my life during these past few weeks. All fans I talked to throughout NYC agreed that England did not have a very good side but were rather lucky based on the quality of the opponents they faced.

I’m sure var works differently in rugby as in the ref looks to it for confirmation by an other ref we have it the other way around ?

All the sports currently using this type of technology rely on the off field officials to make the decisions. But the others are talking about real factual decisions that cannot be argued with. Football is slightly different in most cases as one might think foul whereas another might not.
In yesterdays case, the freekick for the 1st goal was clearly a bookable dive and it is a little disappointing he got away with that. But the penalty was most certainly a penalty, I couldn't understand why the pundits wanted to court controversy about it. And today at work there is no one who thought it wasn't a penalty. So three pundits and one on here who is very often wrong seems to think it a penalty shows football to be different to other sports.
I don't think we should be having VAR, this World Cup has shown it cant work consistently.

All the sports currently using this type of technology rely on the off field officials to make the decisions. But the others are talking about real factual decisions that cannot be argued with. Football is slightly different in most cases as one might think foul whereas another might not.
In yesterdays case, the freekick for the 1st goal was clearly a bookable dive and it is a little disappointing he got away with that. But the penalty was most certainly a penalty, I couldn't understand why the pundits wanted to court controversy about it. And today at work there is no one who thought it wasn't a penalty. So three pundits and one on here who is very often wrong seems to think it a penalty shows football to be different to other sports.
I don't think we should be having VAR, this World Cup has shown it cant work consistently.

So effectively the professional pundits think it wasn't a penalty, including that professional ref Clattenburg on itv, yet yourself and band of merry workers think it wasn't. In terms of arguments you havent made a particularly persuasive one. Pretty sure I know which assessments to trust, given they tally with mine. It was a subjective decision at best and so should not have been reviewed by var as it did not meet the criteria for review namely it was a clear and obvious error, whatever the original decision that was made. I do it agree the World Cup has shown var is very inconsistent and should not be used.

To award a penalty in a world cup final and help to destroy the dreams of an entire nation it has got to be nailed on conclusive with no doubt. If any doubt existed then it cannot be given. I thought it a terrible decision.....

Henski - out of interest, why do you think it was a penalty?
For a handball to be given, it has to be deliberate - as in the player has to intend to handle it. No way on earth did that player intend to handle it
A ref can infer intent depending on the position of the players arms or the movement of the arms. In relation to the position of the arms that’s meant to account for the times players charge out with their arms extended so the only outcome if it hits their arms is that they block a shot or cross with as they’ve put their arms in an unnatural position
With the movement of their arm that’s more or less the same as above
Neither are meant to cover if you are naturally moving your arms down following a jump in which they were used for leverage and the ball strikes the arm - which is what happened.

The ref called it right first time (there’s a camera angle which shows he could see it) but the VAR distorts everything- first the guys in the studio sit watching it & taken out of the context in which it happened and viewed on stills and slow mo’s it looks like it infers intent. The ref yesterday then spends an ice age viewing it before deciding it was deliberate based on those same slow mo’s

World footballs premier game completely ruined by match officials looking for something that isn’t there

Lineker suggested more than once during this world up that the word deliberate is the problem.
In this instance the defender does move his hand towards the ball. I'm not saying he did it on purpose, only he knows that, but you couldn't argue he didn't. However, that aside,that ball was going across the face of the goal, the French touch was minimal and did not deflect the ball so as contact was unavoidable. Clear penalty, the referee rightly corrected his original error.

How many actual deliberate hand balls do you ever see in football? If this one is not a penalty then hardly anything is a penalty!!

I think it would be very easy to predict the reaction on here should the Latics have such a penalty turned down in any game, let alone a big game.

Clattenburg might not have seen it as a penalty, but you can counter that by saying at least 4 other officials did. Personally I didn't think it was. His hand seemed naturally placed given he was mid air and the ball came pretty quickly towards him. But, with the ball crossing the front of goal and his hand coming away from his body, I can see why the ref came to that decision. What's also noticeable (Not talking about on here, but amongst the pundits and professionals), is that there was an overwhelming call for video technology. Seems like the same people have either gone quiet or turned their back on it. I was strongly against it, but despite still needing improvement, I think it's actually been a success

Henski proving intent is very difficult in these handball situations, let alone in actions outside of football. We could debate Sunday's decision to death - some think it was, some think it wasn't. However as I said the crucial thing for me is that given the polarisation of opinion on this incident it means it's highly subjective and as such is not a clear and obvious error which means it should never have been reviewed by the var system. That is the travesty in all this for Croatia and why overturning it was disgraceful as it unduly influenced the game when the rules explicitly state it shouldn't have happened. For me the rules seem simple yet have been inexplicably not been followed throughout the tournament, as such it hasn't eroded controversy just created more.

Lineker suggested more than once during this world up that the word deliberate is the problem.
In this instance the defender does move his hand towards the ball. I'm not saying he did it on purpose, only he knows that, but you couldn't argue he didn't. However, that aside,that ball was going across the face of the goal, the French touch was minimal and did not deflect the ball so as contact was unavoidable. Clear penalty, the referee rightly corrected his original error.

How many actual deliberate hand balls do you ever see in football? If this one is not a penalty then hardly anything is a penalty!!

I think it would be very easy to predict the reaction on here should the Latics have such a penalty turned down in any game, let alone a big game.

Intentionally moving your arms doesn't make any contact with the ball deliberate.
He was deliberately moving his arms in a natural motion having used them as leverage in his jump. He didn't move his arms towards the ball rather his arms were moving & the ball hit one of them. Neither were his arms in an unnatural position having jumped in the air
It wasn't deliberate handball, nor was there any intent to handle the ball so the ref was correct originally - the movement of the arms guidance in the laws is meant to cover a player who jumps with his arms above his head & who then has the ball headed against them from behind. Or the player who instinctively moves his arms to protect his body or face from being hit by the ball
It wasn't meant to cover an instance such as that & this is as clear as an example of why VAR doesn't work for handballs as you are likely to see & you're right its because you have to decide on intent

But as I've said, slo mo replays & stills distort the real time occurrance & start to put doubt in his mind

It was an appalling decision on the refs part & ruined the World Cup final.
They may as well change the laws of the game to state that any contact with the arm or hand is an offence whether deliberate or not because that decision on Sunday made a farce of the laws & the ref