World Cup 2018 - Thread | Vital Football

World Cup 2018 - Thread

Lazysid

Vital 1st Team Regular
Sam Morsy (Wigan Athletic) included in Egypt named squad.

Manchester City winger Leroy Sane has been left out of Germany's final 23-man World Cup squad. (miserable git)

Last edited:
Sixty one Latics players have become internationals, this really is a remarkable number for a club of our size

I’m like a kid on Christmas Eve! Good to see former Latics players going (Granqvist, Kvist, Moses, Stojkovic, Maguire and Martinez) and a current one (Sam Morsy) I think that’s all of them! Anyone got some predictions or dark horses?

For those that didn't watch it Morsy (or is it it Moursy given his shirt) came on early in the second half. He settled in really well and did what he does week in week out. I've not seen his stats but I don't recall him giving away possession once, couple of tousles with Suarez (thankfully wasn't bitten) and picked up an obligatory yellow. He never looked out of place. They lost to a late set piece goal in the end which wasn't attributable to him. I'm probably biased but I thought he did himself proud given the stage and quality of opponents.

I agree with that assessment of Morsy he wasn’t asked to do too much clearly instructed to stay back on attacks but he made himself available played some decent passes and won the ball a few times.

While i wish Samy good luck in the tournement i also can't deny i wouldn't be upset if Egypt go out in the group stages and he can get back home ealier for a much needed rest.

In an interview he said he'd not had a break since the season ended as the Egypt squad has been training very hard in preperation. I remember the knock on effect the lack of a summer break seemed to have on Grigg's 2 years ago and i hope Samy's form next season wont suffer from it. But unlike poor Grigg at least Samy has got on the pitch at the tournment.

King, looking at the bigger picture for us you're undoubtedly correct that an early exit for Egypt would afford Morsy more rest. However I felt genuinely exited watching him on that stage and for him, especially if he's involved in matches, I hope Egypt go a long way in it.

Kvist was strechered off in the first half if I’m not mistaken. Looked quite bad could end his tournament.

Glad we managed to get the win against a poor side who were very frustrating.
I suspect we will have to employ the same tactics as Tunisia if we manage to get beyond the group stage.

Very much a game of two halves. We seem to be a side that is lacking fitness. For the first 20 mins we tore them apart and should have been 3 goals up but for some very lacklustre finishing. After the very debatable penalty it seemed like the batteries ran out and we struggled to get a hold of the game. Although we still dominated possession there was little or no movement up front and we resorted to passing the ball sideways or backwards to retain possession. Perhaps Southgate should consider installing Duracell and hopefully we can then manage 90 mins.

All that said, great to see we have a quality striker who took the two opportunities he got with aplomb. Also I think the VAR experiment should be abandoned as it is clearly not working as shown by the penalty given and the refusal of a clear penalty when Kane was wrestled to the ground.

I thought we played well last night and was really encouraging to see the positive play from the off rather than the usual cautious approach. Not great second half but we were worthy winners and there seems to be a real team spirit.

The var debate. Never been a fan of it personally as I feel it takes something away from the game. If it's introduction is to eradicate refereeing errors then it's failing spectacularly. So much inconsistency in its use and application from game to game and it's creating more controversy than what's it's supposed to solve. Last night whilst I thought the Tunisia penalty was debatable, it was a subjective decision so it's right it wasn't reviewed. However the two fouls on Kane were the most clear and obvious penalties you are likely to see and should have been awarded upon review. Scandoulous they weren't and just highlights the massive flaws in the system which is creating even greater senses of injustice and anger.

I would agree that we started well MiW but we lost our way mid way through the first half and didn't regain it until the introduction of Rashford and Loftus Cheek. It was great to see us put Tunisia to the sword for twenty minutes but it bored the tits off me for much of the rest of the game. We seemed to lose all impetus when Dele Alli picked up a knock and the game slowed. If we can maintain the speed of play we showed for the first 20 mins throughout the 90 along with the passing and interchange we could, and I say this in hope, go a long way in the tournament.

Heres hoping.
:cup: