World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment | Page 53 | Vital Football

World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment

I'm not sure they did to be fair. I appreciate it was always an ideological viewpoint Vs a practical one.

I still think the way for England to win the world cup is to avoid playing anyone good, or at least play as few good teams as possible.

They now face either 20 in the world or number 70 in the world
See I think Southgate knew we would struggle even against a second string Belgium.

It may not have been a deliberate ‘we will go out and lose’ but it was a very definite roll of very loaded dice.

I think we have seen that the rankings are unreliable to the point of being useless. Croatia will give anyone a game on their day and Russia have the weight of the nation as well as FIFA on their side going on one or two decisions they have had go for them.

If we get Russia we will have to beat them cleanly and well because you can guarantee we will get bugger all decisions go in our favour.

I know a lot of people have predicted a Belgium v England final and I hope they are right but the next game is very far from being a forgone conclusion.

If this tournament has taught us anything it is that fact

That's absolutely awful defending by Russia- Croatia right back in it quickly. Good play, not allowing Russia to dig in like they did with Spain

See I think Southgate knew we would struggle even against a second string Belgium.

It may not have been a deliberate ‘we will go out and lose’ but it was a very definite roll of very loaded dice.

I think we have seen that the rankings are unreliable to the point of being useless. Croatia will give anyone a game on their day and Russia have the weight of the nation as well as FIFA on their side going on one or two decisions they have had go for them.

If we get Russia we will have to beat them cleanly and well because you can guarantee we will get bugger all decisions go in our favour.

I know a lot of people have predicted a Belgium v England final and I hope they are right but the next game is very far from being a forgone conclusion.

If this tournament has taught us anything it is that fact

I'm not expecting England in the final at all. But I know that a better opportunity might not come in my generation.

A 'Brexit' final is tantalising and Belgium, good as they are would be my preferred opponents. If they play as they did against Brazil they are unbeatable, but they can't and don't always play like that. I think Southgate might just be ever enough to find a way to stop them

Now we are in the semi finals yes it was the best outcome but I don’t think I will ever be fully comfortable with a strategy that involves us not going out with the express aim of winning every hame. It’s just not in my make up I am afraid.

I am also wondering just how we will cope when we finally meet a good team.
Don’t think they went out to lose though Bash, just that Belgium's second team was better than our second team

Don’t think they went out to lose though Bash, just that Belgium's second team was better than our second team
Like I say he didn’t send the team out to lose but he did send out a team that were very likely to lose which amounts to almost the same thing. That’s my opinion anyway.

I'm not expecting England in the final at all. But I know that a better opportunity might not come in my generation.

A 'Brexit' final is tantalising and Belgium, good as they are would be my preferred opponents. If they play as they did against Brazil they are unbeatable, but they can't and don't always play like that. I think Southgate might just be ever enough to find a way to stop them
I always thought we would never get to a final in my time so to be this close is superb.

I agree that of either of them I would prefer Belgium but I think either could be got at if Southgate gets it right and they get it slightly wrong.

Never forget David Badiel blacked up

Attachments

• 8F6DCBCC-81AA-4967-A9F1-843432C0E932.jpeg
    8F6DCBCC-81AA-4967-A9F1-843432C0E932.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 2
Now we will see if Croatia are light years ahead of England! ?

They aren't.

Their record against England isn't great.

They have some players that are better than England's, and some that are not as good.

England will never have such a 'kind' semi final opponent again, and that is not disrespecting Croatia.

Both teams will go into this thinking they have a great chance

They aren't.

Their record against England isn't great.

They have some players that are better than England's, and some that are not as good.

England will never have such a 'kind' semi final opponent again, and that is not disrespecting Croatia.

Both teams will go into this thinking they have a great chance
Definitely. Croatia have looked good at times but have also struggled at times.

Throughout the tournament they have played tougher opposition and have been taken to penalties twice but that will possibly have taken its toll and they could suffer for it Wednesday.

Objectively their midfield is better, our attack is better and the defences are about even. As you say both sides will think they can win it.

Bring it on!!

I think we have been better organised throughout and have kept our shape and stuck to the game plan in all the games. Tactically we have been better than opponents (including the Belgium game) that is what has pleased me.

The only thing I could complain about is the finishing, but that can always improve. Sterling only has to put one away and he could become an all-time England icon at this point - and to be fair to him he is getting into the right places and making the right runs.