World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment | Vital Football

World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment

AdebolaCornflakes

Vital Football Legend
A Fred to discuss the World Cup 2018 as events unfold over the next few weeks.

- What are your predictions and expectations for England?

- Who do you think will win it?

- Which of the big guns will be embarassed in the group stages and going home early?

- Which country will be a surprise package?

- Will ORF be backing England or Australia?

The opening game is on Thursday as Russia take on Saudi Arabia. England's first game is on Monday 18th at 7:00pm as they take on Tunisia.

Not strictly Forest related but as it's the biggest event in world football and most of us will be watching, hopefully this is ok being in 100% Forest.

I was a little despondent when Southgate got the England job but he's really surprised me with his squad selection and how he's looking to set the team up. He's a very good talker and seems like someone who will make tough decisions when needed.

The mood in the team seems very relaxed and all we are hearing is how the players love working for Southgate and are buying into the way he wants to player, which we never really heard under Capello or Hodgson. I thought the team press event in the week was a great idea.

There are no grand expectations on England but I do think the quarter finals are a real possibility. We should qualify from our group with relative ease which would see us facing one of Colombia, Japan, Senegal or Poland in the last 16; you would hope we'd have enough to see off any of those.

I quite fancy France to win it. They've got a great squad and a brilliant talisman in Griezmann. It will likely be Deschamps' last tournament as Manager and it is 20-years' since he lifted the trophy as captain; it all seems too perfect.

I'm rather looking forward to this one, certainly much more than the previous four tournaments, and think this could be a tournament which lifts the mood of the nation a little bit. Let's be honest, we all need something to cheer about.

Can’t see past Brazil or France for this one with Germany lurking in the wings.

England will limp our way to the quarters at best.

Off the field you will still get England fans looking for trouble and testing the patience of the Russian authorities. I predict deaths and disappearances off the field.

Maybe we shouldn’t have issued travel bans to known hooligans. Let them travel, give the Russians their details and then job done. ?

I'm going for Italy or Holland for the win.

Failing that, I'm thinking France. I'm interested to see how Brazil are- with Neymar playing well they could be outrageous but equally he could be off and they be poor.

That's what makes the WC so interesting- we just don't know that much about what the non UEFA teams are going to be like.

Don't really care about England. They are extremely boring to watch IMO and will be among the most dull sides in the tournament. A PL class rather than world class side with some decent players punctuated by absolute rubbish like Young and Welbeck.

They should get the four to six points from the first two games they need to be able to afford a deserved loss to Belgium.

Poland in the last 16 is not a gimme. Poland are probably the equal of England with a genuine world class player where we have none and probably far more bottle.

Then if they somehow get through that one it is only to provide a bye into the semis for Germany or Brazil (I think).

Can't wait though! Absolute love coming home from work listening to a game and with another one or two more to watch in an evening.

Yeah I reckon Southgate has done well and am confident we will get through the group and possibly make the QF. Don't fancy the Germans to win it as they don't have many goals in them.I put some money on Argentina purely down to odds of 9 to 1 which appeared good considering they have Messi and Aguero.However France look strong.Looking forward to it.

Can't wait though! Absolute love coming home from work listening to a game and with another one or two more to watch in an evening.

Yep, same for me. I love the group stages in particular and will watch as many games as possible.

There are four games next Saturday with the first one kicking off at 11:00am and the last one at 8:00pm. I plan to park myself on the sofa at 10:59am and won't be moving until 10:00pm - which to be fair sounds like my day yesterday except there'll be football on the tele.

Yep, same for me. I love the group stages in particular and will watch as many games as possible.

There are four games next Saturday with the first one kicking off at 11:00am and the last one at 8:00pm. I plan to park myself on the sofa at 10:59am and won't be moving until 10:00pm - which to be fair sounds like my day yesterday except there'll be football on the tele.
Same as,although I will be frequenting the chip shop and based on how the games have gone will make a decision on whether it will be an extra fisH cake or battered sausage.This will be prior to the Denmark/Peru game chap.

Additionally has anyone bet on top goalscorer / who do you think could end up with the golden boot? I put some money on Lukaku and Messi as both were decent odds(16-1 and 9-1 respectively).

Thinking of a France to win/Griezmann top scorer double Ingy.

William Hill have also got an offer where you bet £10 on the winner and get a £5 free bet for every game they win

Good thread AC and I'm backing Oz first but very closely followed by England even though I don't give either of them a chance. Regarding Oz, as usual here the papers have been full of misplaced praise for our lot, we've had friendly wins against two of Europes second rate countries but we sure don't look like world beaters. And we face France in our first match who I regard as having a chance of doing well. We have no chance although I'd love to be proved wrong as we do have a team of genuine triers. I don't know enough about Englands individual players to give a worthwhile opinion but from what I've read so far about the teams performances I've found it a bit depressing. Nothing new there either, or very little.
Overall I can't get excited about the chances of either of them but would be delighted to be wrong. Even getting halfway would probably shut me up.
I think that being a supporter of either or both is a bit much but then supporting Forest into the bargain............................

Really looking forward to it. Think it will be Germany again though.

As for England, think we will get out of the group in second and that's it. We are OK up front, but midfield is weak and defence is piss poor. The worst I've ever seen in an England team. How we have taken Jones I just don't know. Quiet literally any other English centre back in the PL would be better. Young and Cahill also poor and Stones always has a mistake in him. Henderson is a cart horse and Lindgard, Delph and Wellbeck are hugely overrated.

Welbeck was the one selection which really disappointed me. I know he's got a decent record for England but I really can't see how he's made it based on his last couple of seasons. Thankfully he'll be on the bench anyway.

Not too disappointed with Young. He'll also be back-up and he adds a bit of experience and versatility

Welbeck was the one selection which really disappointed me. I know he's got a decent record for England but I really can't see how he's made it based on his last couple of seasons. Thankfully he'll be on the bench anyway.

Not too disappointed with Young. He'll also be back-up and he adds a bit of experience and versatility
The only thing that bothered me more than the fact we took Welbeck was the fact I couldn’t think of a reasonable alternative.

Man Utd play Young at left back because Mourinho doesn’t rate Shaw. He has done ok but I would have taken Bertrand.

First of all cracking Fred and one of the reasons Vital Forest remains at the top of the Forest Forum tree. Freds like this attract quality posters like me, Hardy, Orf, You maybe Map, Basha and definitely Ingy.

Ill answer your questions, you excellent poster you.

- What are your predictions and expectations for England? I think we might make the quarters but cant see us going beyond there.

- Who do you think will win it?
Germany or Brazil.

- Which of the big guns will be embarassed in the group stages and going home early?
Not sure if theyre a big gun, but they have one of the best strikers. I think Poland might struggle

- Which country will be a surprise package?
Colombia for me

- Will ORF be backing England or Australia?
He will back Australia all the way. Hes a filthy criminal

Welbeck was the one selection which really disappointed me. I know his got a decent record for England but I really can't see how his made it based on he’s last couple of seasons. Thankfully he'll be on the Judy anyway.

Fixed that for you doctor.

Just been watching the Unisef Soccer Aid match and I'm not joking, but I'd take Flintoff to Russia ahead of Jones!

Looking forward to first game- brutal regime vs brutal regime.

Feel like I should support Russia but would laugh if they got spanked.

Portugal vs Spain looks the best of the group games but I reckon Iran vs morroco might be minty. Using house as venue with other likeminded friends. Preparing for shutdown. At least till we get knocked out.

Be surprised if we make the quarters tbh.
Brazil looked very good the other day. Hate to say but the frogs also look strong.