World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment | Page 52 | Vital Football

World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment

Would rather have Sterling on the pitch at the moment than Alli. At some point Sterling’s luck will change but Alli has done the better part of f£&k all.

Last edited:
Excellent all round performance. Henderson man of the match for me. Covered so much ground closed down play in the middle, tracked back, played some lovely forward balls.
We kept the shape perfectly and stretched them wide and got in behind them. Won just about every second ball. All that and we still don't look like we have had to move into top gear yet...
I'm loving this!

First the bad news...

Like Forest, England looked good attacking but the final ball or shot let them down and they created very few actual efforts on goal. Sweden were outplayed but had as many shots on target.

The good news was that Pickford made two excellent saves and one good one, while Maguire is looking better every game. The defence still needs to improve though - against Russia or Croatia two of those chances might be taken.

By the end England looked the part. Whatever else happens they've earnt their place in the semi final.

Wasn’t quite as comfortable as i would have liked but it was straight-forward in the end! ?

Just wanted Sterling to score to hopefully set him on his way.
Agree, although he was frustrating he is a defender's nightmare with his pace and him running at people for 70 mins and then Rashford is a good plan.

Can we accept now that losing to Belgium was the best outcome?
Now we are in the semi finals yes it was the best outcome but I don’t think I will ever be fully comfortable with a strategy that involves us not going out with the express aim of winning every hame. It’s just not in my make up I am afraid.

I am also wondering just how we will cope when we finally meet a good team.

Now we are in the semi finals yes it was the best outcome but I don’t think I will ever be fully comfortable with a strategy that involves us not going out with the express aim of winning every hame. It’s just not in my make up I am afraid.

I am also wondering just how we will cope when we finally meet a good team.

I'm not sure they did to be fair. I appreciate it was always an ideological viewpoint Vs a practical one.

I still think the way for England to win the world cup is to avoid playing anyone good, or at least play as few good teams as possible.

They now face either 20 in the world or number 70 in the world