World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment | Page 24 | Vital Football

World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment

Undoubtedly & in previous tournaments when we’ve scraped through the groups after just about beating Cornwall or the The Federated States of Micronesia we then get drawn against the Harlem globetrotters or 1970’s Brazil this time Japan, Columbia, Senegal or Poland shouldn’t really be embarrassing us.
They shouldn’t but neither should Iceland two years ago.

Ask an England fan in a bar what they think when alcohol is involved and emotions are running high and you will probably get a very different reply to what you get asking them in the cold light of day.

It’s part of the excitement of the tournament and no different to fans of teams such as Mexico, Croatia, Belgium etc.

As for the inevitable ‘cash out’, it will happen at some point, probably the quarters but it will depend on the nature of the exit how most fans will see it.

Only teams who go in totally unfancied or are considered irrelevant get knocked out without repercussions .

As I said though, at least we are there unlike Italy and Holland and we have qualified for the knock out rounds unlike Argentina who are still in danger.

That is a nice try, but do you seriously expect me to fall for that?

There is no cold light of day for most of the sporting public in this Country; hubris is mandatory.

I say sporting public; most of the flag waving morons have no interest in the sport they watch, its the thought of beating foreign opposition that they get off on.

There is no cold light of day for most of the sporting public in this Country; hubris is mandatory.

I say sporting public; most of the flag waving morons have no interest in the sport they watch, its the thought of beating foreign opposition that they get off on.

Absolutely spot on. You should post like this more often shouldn’t you.

You obviously move in different circles to me then. Either that or you can’t see past your dislike of the English. Either way this discussion just became pointless.

It's looking very much like England need to lose on Thursday.

First place will meet what looks like being the winner of a Brazil-Germany last 16 game in the quarters. Probably Senegal in the last 16 first.

Second place will most likely play Poland and then Mexico in the quarters.

There is a possible route to the semis there.

England would need to defend a million miles better to get through any more games though

It's looking very much like England need to lose on Thursday.

First place will meet what looks like being the winner of a Brazil-Germany last 16 game in the quarters. Probably Senegal in the last 16 first.

Second place will most likely play Poland and then Mexico in the quarters.

There is a possible route to the semis there.

England would need to defend a million miles better to get through any more games though
That’s my main concern, whether England can defend against a decent side.

I know they did it in friendlies but tournament football is totally different and we would need to make sure we retain some ‘teeth’ going forward.

That’s my main concern, whether England can defend against a decent side.

I know they did it in friendlies but tournament football is totally different and we would need to make sure we retain some ‘teeth’ going forward.

I think the entire defence look like liabilities to be honest. And that's before we get to the really special players like Ronaldo, Hazard or Neymar

Just watched the game with a dozen mates at my local ex-servicemens club.
All proper football fans and fiercely patriotic.
All extremely proud to be English .
Is that allowed nowadays ?
Other countries seem to be lauded for their patriotism after all.
Apparently if you support other countries it’s fine but if you support England you must be a flag waving moron. Odd really.

I bumped into Stuart Broad yesterday at Newmarket races , I was a bit worse for wear so I think he was glad to get away from me.:grinning:

The World Cup is a special tournament designed to make most of the World miserable! We might say now we would settle for losing in the semis or final, but come the day we will still be devastated when we lose! Only the very poor teams come away happy . Panama seemed delighted just to score!

The World Cup is a special tournament designed to make most of the World miserable! We might say now we would settle for losing in the semis or final, but come the day we will still be devastated when we lose! Only the very poor teams come away happy . Panama seemed delighted just to score!

Yeah I was actually quite pleased for their fans.
They went bananas .
Fair play to them.:grinning:

I might ask you- is it allowed to not feel patriotic?

To be self critical of your country without some knuckle dragger telling you to fuck off to Isis, talking bollocks about St George (not remotely British BTW) in their hearts or threatening you with implied violence?

Bet no one tried to say a damned thing against you in your pub today did they? But you still seem to think you are some kind of persecuted minority?

I think the entire defence look like liabilities to be honest. And that's before we get to the really special players like Ronaldo, Hazard or Neymar
The two games so far have shown they are limited which means odds are a midfield two of Dier and Henderson is required to have any hope of stifling teams. Unfortunately that will wipe us out going forward.

The two games so far have shown they are limited which means odds are a midfield two of Dier and Henderson is required to have any hope of stifling teams. Unfortunately that will wipe us out going forward.

We'll probably have to do that AND take Walker out and rely on set pieces and people trying to rugby tackle us for penalties.

To be self critical of your country without some knuckle dragger telling you to fuck off to Isis, talking bollocks about St George (not remotely British BTW) in their hearts or threatening you with implied violence?

Bet no one tried to say a damned thing against you in your pub today did they? But you still seem to think you are some kind of persecuted minority?

Why would anyone say anything against me anyway whilst I'm simply enjoying a game of football with my mates ?
I don't feel persecuted at all I just find it strange that when other nations get behind their teams it's all "oh what great fans etc" when England do it they get called knuckle draggers etc .
I don't ever hear the Irish or Dutch get accused of being xenophobic just great support for their nation simple as.
Nothing wrong with not being patriotic either Pope.
It doesn't bother me at all if anybody doesn't feel the same.

Not according to some of the Irish contingent on here that appear to be very grump today

I might ask

That’s way beyond the point being made Pope and you know it.

It’s not acceptable for people to behave that way and 99.9% of the population don’t.

What is equally unacceptable though is being told you can’t be happy when your team does well just because you are English. Or that you must be a knuckle dragging, flag waving moron just for supporting England.

If you want to discuss the merits or otherwise of England’s performances then fine, you will probably find that I am equally critical but if you want to tell me whether I should or shouldn’t be proud to be English or proud to support my national team just because it is England then the conversation is likely to be short and unpleasant.