Wimbledon Gills | Page 2 | Vital Football

Wimbledon Gills

Just on the way back now. It was a really frustrating match, we started with a high tempo for the first 15 minutes but didn't have a real clear cut chance. Wimbledon go down the other end of the pitch and score with their first shot, that smug prick Wagstaff to put the icing on the cake unfortunately.

Once Wimbledon scored you could see it being a 1-0 to Wombles FT scoreline because we're so toothless upfront. Hanlan for all his good work midweek in the FA Cup just hasn't got the confidence to perform consistently and score goals, he had about three good chances that he hit over the bar, not even on target.

On today's performance I was not at all impressed with Evans tactics. I was baffled when O'Keefe came off he brought on O'Connor who is naturally a defender when we're chasing an equaliser and Wimbledon were there for the taking. In the second half it become more and more clear the current set of players on the pitch weren't gonna do anything.

Evans and Raynor stood there like tweddle dumb and tweddle dee looking clueless while we had corner after corner which hit the first man. On the rare occasions we did win headers in their box the heading ability from our lads was shocking flying over the bar each time.

Evans should have brought on someone more create than O'Connor as the first sub and the second and third subs should have come with about 25 maybe even 30 minutes to go not leaving them until the last few minutes, it was a joke and everyone around me could see it apart from Evans.

Ben Pringle got sent off late on and while not defending a red card I'm sure he was just very frustrated not to be brought on much earlier.

Overall after feeling promising signs at home to Lincoln my optimism got crashing back down to earth today vs Wimbledon.

Seen a few posts on Twitter about the ref and how we should have had a couple of pens. Fair points or clutching at straws in your opinion mate?

The ref was shit and from my (poor) position we should’ve had a pen or two, but we’re saying this out of desperation as that would’ve been the only times our strikers could get a decent attempt in.

From the first half you could see we’ll struggle to score despite being camped in their third for a good portion of the game. So frustrating.

We SHOULD be a reasonable threat in the air but once again we were so toothless.

On paper a loss to AFC Wimbledon was a poor result. There are some real shit teams in this league so I can’t see us getting relegated but it’s so frustrating that the moment we look like turning a corner we go and shit all over it with a horrid result.

We need to sign a true finisher to take the pressure of Hanlan. He is pace and great stamina but cannot finish consistently. Being the main striker Is putting more pressure on him and his finishing is even m ore erratic.

We need to sign someone in January to become our main finisher and then Hanlan can develop and work on his weaknesses without the pressure of being the main striker.

I agree with Trev we won't go down but it would be nice not to be looking over our shoulders come the spring time

We need to sign a true finisher to take the pressure of Hanlan. He is pace and great stamina but cannot finish consistently. Being the main striker Is putting more pressure on him and his finishing is even m ore erratic.

We need to sign someone in January to become our main finisher and then Hanlan can develop and work on his weaknesses without the pressure of being the main striker.

I agree with Trev we won't go down but it would be nice not to be looking over our shoulders come the spring time

Agree, but finishers at this level cost money and we simply can't afford them as SE proved in the summer. There will be no magical fix in January IMO, just may be a different name than Jakubiak, Ndjoli, Hanlon, Madron missing the chances.

If Pringle gets frustrated sitting and watching Gills .He must understand how the rest of us feel.:rolleyes::hmmm:Seriously though what happened?Six minutes that has to be some sort of record.Can't see Evans being to chuffed with him.For all the good work on Tuesday and last week this puts us almost back to square one.Given the need for a budget players in January Pringle and Cisse might as well be made available in January.

When you are a goal down with the current tactics not working and little time remaining surely you chuck on tricky wingers to try and make something happen against tired defenders. We have Martin and Cook but are reluctant to use them.
Same could be said about changing a striker, we had two on the bench.

Chuck three forwards as subs on and just go for it. Makes you wonder why we let List go!

The team is better organised and work harder but we do have a habit of not using subs.

Agree, but finishers at this level cost money and we simply can't afford them as SE proved in the summer. There will be no magical fix in January IMO, just may be a different name than Jakubiak, Ndjoli, Hanlon, Madron missing the chances.

Absolutely but assuming we are a paying a percentage for Ndjoli and Jakubiak then we may as well return them and put that loan percentage towards someone else on loan.

Hardly a suprise at the lack of use of subs if the sub only last six minutes before being sent off.I get the impression that there is a lack of trust in various players including Pringle . I would not be at all surprised to see a lot of exits in January with some loans up and some very uninspiring signings.All may depend on who is made available.

Agree with the above comments about our strikers. I've seen it so often this season when Hanlan and Jakubiak especially take an extra second to get the shot away and it isn't needed. Hanlans work rate and commitment is superb but i think that's his downfall in front of goal, he's so high energy he lacks a calmness when needed. I've seen people say " if only we had Eaves" and whilst I don't disagree what we really need is someone like Cody McDonald in his prime. We are creating chances and getting in good posistions, we need a striker to finish them off.

We can't sign anybody for about 6 weeks, so how about sticking Ehmer up front and see what happens. We have adequate defenders to cover for him, but I doubt the fat man is that radical.

Does anyone who went think tiredness was a factor, with the majority of the players having played 120 mins on Tuesday night?
Evans has said Mandron, O’Keefe and Jones were all doubtful, but all 3 started with O’Keefe then withdrawn early on.
Suprised the next sub wasn’t until the 80th minute given we were losing for most of the match.

Agree with the above comments about our strikers. I've seen it so often this season when Hanlan and Jakubiak especially take an extra second to get the shot away and it isn't needed. Hanlans work rate and commitment is superb but i think that's his downfall in front of goal, he's so high energy he lacks a calmness when needed. I've seen people say " if only we had Eaves" and whilst I don't disagree what we really need is someone like Cody McDonald in his prime. We are creating chances and getting in good posistions, we need a striker to finish them off.

Exactly that. We need too many chances to score and you just know that when we go 1-0 down we don't have enough about us to turn it around.

Our strikers couldn't finish their dinner.

This is another reminder that we're stuck in lower mid-table mediocrity ; probably 11 teams well above us; 4-5 around us; and then 6 below us (as well as Southend and Bolton)
With a merry-go-round of players; mostly average journeymen or youthful hopefuls and very average lump it football, and no outstanding or exciting players , this makes for poor expectations through the rest of the season.
With Evans' poor behaviour and ridiculous post-match comments I wont be renewing my season ticket next year , unless... SE goes

The stewards up at AFC Wimbledon told me they used staff with body-worn cameras partly to film the fans (not that there was much trouble but rather the excessive C.nt-calling the officials etc), but also to film Evans and Raynor!

They were suggesting the FA were getting fed up with the behaviour or rather the complaints, and were wanting real footage for a dossier? They had to sit one of their chiefs near to the 4th official after alleged poor behaviour by our coaching team.

“We’ll see you in the tunnel at half time”