Who next? | Page 42 | Vital Football

Who next?

Sol Campbell wouldn't be my preferred first choice ( for the record I'm in the Flynn camp ) but he certainly wouldn't be the worst possible option. Did well at Macc and deserves a shot at a bigger club and we are bigger than them.
Only three days ago, Campbell hinted that he was ready to take control of a Premier League or Championship club. That is some boast, and it worries me.

I think we all can suss that out.... and it's not a reason they should be.

What's that then?
Could it be the fact that they both could be classed as falling within the BAME category which was being discussed on this thread?
Or are you implying a racist connotation to the comparison?
My point was that KA was a very different character to SC. KA was down to earth, humble, had strong links to Lincolnshire football and didn't continually boast that he was ready to manage higher up.
Oh and he also wore yellow socks.

Only three days ago, Campbell hinted that he was ready to take control of a Premier League or Championship club. That is some boast, and it worries me.
Well if Frank Lampard was ready to take charge of a top 4, European trophy-winning side after one relatively mediocre season in the Championship (at least when you factor in the he had a top 2 budget to play with), then I'd venture that Sol Campbell is more than deserving of a shot at the Championship at the very least.

Personally, I have no issue with Campbell's outward confidence. And if he can transfer that to his players - and Macclesfield's performances when under intense pressure at the end of last season would suggest he can - then maybe that will lead him to some serious success in the years to come.

Ainsworth is my top choice because of his solid success at Wycombe over a number of years, the fact he will immediately be accepted by the fans, and the way he speaks and conducts himself in the media. Beyond that, of all the names linked, Campbell would probably be my second pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ainsworth did state post game that he work with bottom 6 resources, all DC talked about this season was our lack of budget.

I would still be a bit cavalier and at least speak to Liam Rosenior. I just feel at some point he will fly through the leagues.

I see Matt Taylor has come right down in price and is now about 6/1. New name for discussion.

Sounds like the fitness levels and togetherness at Exeter are impeccable. Could be a dark horse and after a season of transition has got Exeter right up there.

I see Harry Redknapp is on the sackrace list - 80/1. We may need to order in some brown envelopes.

Probably means nothing, but on Quest TV last night Phil Parkinson was the guest analyst. He was asked by Colin Murray about the Southend job and said it was not for him. When the subject of the Imps job came up later, he wasn't asked the question. Seemed a bit strange - like he may be in the running so they avoided the question.

Well if Frank Lampard was ready to take charge of a top 4, European trophy-winning side after one relatively mediocre season in the Championship (at least when you factor in the he had a top 2 budget to play with), then I'd venture that Sol Campbell is more than deserving of a shot at the Championship at the very least.

Personally, I have no issue with Campbell's outward confidence. And if he can transfer that to his players - and Macclesfield's performances when under intense pressure at the end of last season would suggest he can - then maybe that will lead him to some serious success in the years to come.

Ainsworth is my top choice because of his solid success at Wycombe over a number of years, the fact he will immediately be accepted by the fans, and the way he speaks and conducts himself in the media. Beyond that, of all the names linked, Campbell would probably be my second pick.
It certainly looks like Sol Campbell has the potential to make it, but it's nothing more than potential at the moment. Maybe he would be a good match for Newport if Flynn decides to move on any time soon...

I'd be wary of any high profile ex-player (or out of work manager for that matter) coming in and creating a media circus before moving onto the next thing after a short time in the role. The Cowleys generated a media circus at Lincoln, but that's because they earned it.

I can't really explain why I don't want Adkins. I like him and he's got a very good track record. But Flynn or Ainsworth would be much more exciting to me.
I think it's because he dresses like the regional manager of a middling supermarket. I do like Nigel Adkins, but I agree - it doesn't feel like a good fit. Maybe because I associate him with failing Championship teams.

I think it's because he dresses like the regional manager of a middling supermarket. I do like Nigel Adkins, but I agree - it doesn't feel like a good fit. Maybe because I associate him with failing Championship teams.
Yes, I've advocated Adkins' appointment but I can't work out why! I think it's maybe just because he comes across as positive and likable.
Although I think also he has a pretty good L1 record.:
2 promos with Scunny,
1 with Soton (admittedly probably a huge budget),
and yes 1 poor season with Sheffield Utd