Whitehouse to Grimsby? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Whitehouse to Grimsby?

Better wages, two year contract, still local and starting 11. Of course he signed for Grimsby. They have got a very professional, tireless worker who will contribute from midfield with a few goals and not let them down. Leaves with my best wishes and thanks and will obviously go down in our club history for that goal. Is he currently good enough for where we are aiming - absolutely not. Good signing for Grimsby and good move for us.

Including Cups 22 starts + 21 subs for Elliot.. Not sure how you can guarantee you will be more involved elsewhere.
What I would say, I assume he has been offered not the best contract by us, but you have to ask if for the money we will get a better squad player than Elliot? If we have 20-22 players they can't all be stars.

Always been a fan of Elliott, think there is a player in there, like the way he always wants to go forward and is looking to turn when he receives the ball. I think playing off a big mobile striker he could be a real nuisance and get lots of scrappy goal and win lots of dangerous free kicks and pens. Not sure he is a central midfielder in a 2 though, passing and vision needs to be better.

Good luck to Elliott at Real Madrid. Now he has escaped the evil hoof ball merchants and has the chance to set his suppressed Maradona free we will see exactly what he can do.

Time to get stop reading the Fishy and get back to reality. You should all try it - it's like a short break in a mental hospital.

They can't all be stars, but we can and must strive to improve the quality in our squad. Whitehouse has done an ok job when he has played, but I can't honestly say he has done any more than that. He is quite a rough and ready footballer with an erratic first touch. He is never going to change games and is not good enough for League One. Offering a two-year deal would not have made sense on that basis.

Good luck to Elliott at Real Madrid. Now he has escaped the evil hoof ball merchants and has the chance to set his suppressed Maradona free we will see exactly what he can do.

Time to get stop reading the Fishy and get back to reality. You should all try it - it's like a short break in a mental hospital.
I do ! Its a great laugh they dont realise playing like spain /manchester city nearly got them relegated last year.Though they will do abit this season they seriously think there play off material already! Deluded fishys me thinks!???

This one hurts. Scorer of one of our most famous ever goals now plays for the Cods. I wish him all the luck in the world but why couldn't it have been literally any other club???

Cockerill went there too, now that did upset me as he was my favouritec imp when I was a kid but Whitehouse meh.

Um - Glenn Cockerill never played for Grimsby, although his dad and his brother both did. Are you thinking of Phil Turner?

Only likely to be a squad player with us while he is likely to be a regular at Grimsby so I cannot blame him for going there.

Glen Cockerill was born in Grimsby & if I remember right he was the brother in law of Clive Wiggington another Ex Imp.
Phil Hubbard played for Grimsby

Dean Crombie went there as well, so did Jack Lewis. Of course, coming the other way have been the likes of Bob Cumming, Nigel Batch and Graham Taylor.

There must be a very long list of players who have been with both clubs.

Well i thank Whitehouse for what he did for us, Wembley especially.
I do hope that he has a bad time from now on (along with all his new teammates) and thoroughly comes to regret his move

We will have very few makeweights/passengers in the squad next year, if any.

We didn’t have any last year did we (or the year before)...? Simply weren’t enough numbers for that to happen.

As all on here, whitehouse goes with my very best wishes. A great pro who never gave less than 100% to the cause when called upon. And of course will always be remembered fondly for his tap-in at Wembley.

But the cold hard facts are his first touch is poor, his passing is poor, and he’s not quick enough over the ground. Never ever going to be better than a middling League 2 player in my opinion. Therefore a perfect signing for Grimsby Town at this stage in their ‘development’ (!!).

The challenge now is for the Cowleys to fill the squad. Whatever his limitations, Whitehouse was certainly a decent squad player, and though I wholeheartedly agree with replacing players with better quality, we can’t have a squad of 22-25 first team players can we? Whether we can strike the right balance and have the extra 2 or 3 bodies we missed last season will be key over the next 7-8 weeks of the transfer window.

We didn’t have any last year did we (or the year before)...? Simply weren’t enough numbers for that to happen.

Makeweights and passengers? Yes, lots!
Last season, try Howe (spent the first half of the season on loan before being sold), Arnold (spent the latter stages of the season in Nepal), Knott (spent the second half of the season in a hotel in Rochdale), Stewart (spent the season doing God knows what), Walton (spent the season playing in some minor leagues), and Maguire-Drew (apparently spent six months not doing what he was told before being sent back to the supplier marked as faulty goods).
As for the 2016-17 season, try Hodge, Howe, Miles, Simmons and Wright for starters.

Fair point on Stewart and the names dragged up from the 16-17 squad, but Howe was effectively never part of our squad as he was out on loan early doors, and then out the door for good in January. Arnold, Knott and even Maguire Drew played a decent number of games (and provided a few goals and assists) before being bombed out in the transfer window when it had become clear they weren’t going to be getting much game time.

Maybe our understanding of a makeweight/passenger is a bit different... I would class them as one of those whose appearances and contributions can be counted on one hand (or less!)... Stewart a pretty good template on that front I guess.

This one hurts. Scorer of one of our most famous ever goals now plays for the Cods. I wish him all the luck in the world but why couldn't it have been literally any other club???

Nathan scored a famous Cods goal at Wembley, I forget who he played for the year after!