Where are we all based? n/g | Page 11 | Vital Football

Where are we all based? n/g

NWBF is a Bucs fan!

To hell with you.

DUUUUUVVVVAAALLLLLLL.
giphy.gif

To answer the Loose queries I think there are a few around there's a GFC number plate about, I assume that's not his/her intials. I've only been in loose for 10 ish years but I only moved here from Boughton Monchelsea so not far. As far as the Loose women's WI goes I think they are still about. There is however a Loose Women Morris dancing group who were performing down the Chequers boxing day.

Greetings Vital Gills. I have been a follower of this forum for some years so I thought I would sign up to make make an honest man of myself. Brief life history-
Born in Ilford and moved around London and HC until locating in Gillingham aged 15 when I attended my first Gills match in 1963 (Oldham which we won 2-0. I think Brian Yeo got both) Attended GGS (hence my handle) in the 6th form. After uni in Manchester, back down to Medway, and taught at the Math for 4 years. Work then took me away and I moved to Essex where I still live. I remember taking my son to his first match(forget who) when he was 6 (he did ask me why the two blokes behind us in the old GS kept on swearing). We had season tickets for several seasons in the Championship before my boy went off to Birmingham to study (he got quite friendly with Steve Bruce one Saturday night in a coffee bar!)
Since then a more spasmodic attender but have always followed Gills progress in the 60 years since that first match. Looks like exciting times ahead for once-the Gills with some dosh!

Welcome!

There’s a tonne of long-time lurkers who are contributing to the forum in the last 2 weeks.

What years did you teach at the Math school? I'm wondering if you might have taught me!
1970-74. I was second in the Geography Dept to Mick 'Butch' Carver, who sadly died in a climbing accident a few years later. The Headmaster was John Waddams (Skull)

Have they still got the Loose Women's Institute?
Haha, that was the family joke aimed at my mum when we moved there in 1973, Berwyn Grove, off Norrington Road, just bedore the Walnut Tree pub, heading south, before going down into the valley.

I also attended GGS (even when moved to Loose). Your attendance would have overlapped with my eldest brother's (61-68).
Several others on this board also attended, eg Jokerman, around the same time as you.

To answer the Loose queries I think there are a few around there's a GFC number plate about, I assume that's not his/her intials. I've only been in loose for 10 ish years but I only moved here from Boughton Monchelsea so not far. As far as the Loose women's WI goes I think they are still about. There is however a Loose Women Morris dancing group who were performing down the Chequers boxing day.
Loose Women Morris dancing. The mind boggles!

Haha, that was the family joke aimed at my mum when we moved there in 1973, Berwyn Grove, off Norrington Road, just bedore the Walnut Tree pub, heading south, before going down into the valley.

I also attended GGS (even when moved to Loose). Your attendance would have overlapped with my eldest brother's (61-68).
Several others on this board also attended, eg Jokerman, around the same time as you.
I was at GGS 63-66 as we moved down from Rickmansworth in Herts because of my dad changing jobs (KCC)

No only the school orchestra! However at the Math I ran the 2nd XI hockey team. All those freezing Saturday mornings at the Jackie Baker in Thanet and at Southend Boys.

Quite a few Old Willies around here. Probs more than I’m thinking actually. Ooo, er….

I was there from 73. What did you teach?
And I thought the Headmaster was Mr Hall when I started? Memory shot tho.

Last edited:
A good a place as any for a first post on the forum I guess...

Born in Maidstone, lived in Loose for the first 25 years of my life, moved to Coxheath for 5 years, couple of years in Maidstone town centre and now just moved to Northamptonshire with my wife and son.

Didn't expect to see many other Gills in the area, but based on this thread there's a few basically in the next village from where we are in Thrapston, small world indeed.

Looks like there might be a need for an East Mids Gills fan group soon enough!

Welcome to Northants, Joe.

Shame Chris Hope has moved, he was a hero of mine in my teenage years for sure - would've been fun to bump into him down the pub! I imagine he must've discovered the area while playing for Rushden & Diamonds as it's just down the road.

It's a shame that Rushden went the way they did and Kettering had to leave Rockingham Road - the local football ground level round here isn't great but still friendly enough for a day out. I've been down to watch Kettering a few times already to get my midweek matchday fix as Priestfield is just a little out of reach of a Tuesday night these days.

I went to watch Thrapston a few times with a good mate a few years back before they folded, including on one memorable occasion Thrapston Town 10 - Woodford Utd 1, the Woodford keeper made a hattrick of penalty saves too. Attendance was 26, 3 quid in and pints in the stand. Good times.

Quite a few Old Willies around here. Probs more than I’m thinking actually. Ooo, er….

I was there from 73. What did you teach?
And I thought the Headmaster was Mr Hall when I started? Memory shot tho.
You are right about Alan Hall being there in 1973. He replaced John Waddams as head when he retired in 1972. I taught Geography so likely you were in Year 1 or 2 before I left.