Where are we all based? n/g | Page 13 | Vital Football

Where are we all based? n/g

Harborough Town might have something to say about that - Gary Mulligan was on the bench for them when I visited in the autumn.

Not had the chance to do Corby Town yet, if I get a chance I'll give them a fair crack of the whip too - KTFC do have very good chips and curry sauce though so Corby have some catching up to do!

Steel Burger mate...it's heinous but amazing, normal cheeseburger but with added Lorne sausage 🤣

Noticed that there are few or no other old holcs (chatham tech/gram).
I went to Chatham Tech 75 -80 and my dad and his two brothers went there too. My two sons went to the then renamed Chatham Grammar so it's a bit of a family thing but it's now Holcombe Grammar and lost its soul a bit

I went to Chatham Tech 75 -80 and my dad and his two brothers went there too. My two sons went to the then renamed Chatham Grammar so it's a bit of a family thing but it's now Holcombe Grammar and lost its soul a bit

I left in 1965 when it was an excellent school.
Yes as with other failing institutions they think removing history (changed badge) and change of name will automatically change things.

It is now a much more violent and disruptive place and has more expulsions.

I think the head and management team when my boys were there got complacent then Ofsted came and put the boot in. Now everyone wants to send their sons to the Math school so it's a self fulfilling downward spiral

I'm honestly not sure, but as a young'un going to school on the bus I often hoped someone would add a crafty 'e' into the Loose Bowls Club sign at some point.

Alas not, and I was too much of a swot to physically do it myself...
My old mate Ralph Steadman actually did that as a prank in the eighties.
It was to sell a calendar to raise funds for Loose Amenities.
He’s still going strong and still living at Loose Court.
I saw him last time I was up in November.

Odds on i know you then.
I was there 59 to 66. Spent 2 years in the, then, small 6th form before being one of the few in those days to go to Uni. Played cricket for the school but football in the local league for a team formed by some of the students from the school as, you will remember, the school only played rugby and hockey.

I was there 59 to 66. Spent 2 years in the, then, small 6th form before being one of the few in those days to go to Uni. Played cricket for the school but football in the local league for a team formed by some of the students from the school as, you will remember, the school only played rugby and hockey.

The head had been an england hockey player and stated that football was a hooligans game hence the ban ( told us every time we were sent to him after being caught playing football below the tennis courts instead rugby during games). Does explain why we never lost at hockey as no competition from football.

Remember one year when the german exchange students were over in their leather shorts - seemed like 50 aside football match germans v english. We were all born only 5 years after the war so a spicy game.

Remember the walk down to chatham for metal and woodwork?

The head had been an england hockey player and stated that football was a hooligans game hence the ban ( told us every time we were sent to him after being caught playing football below the tennis courts instead rugby during games). Does explain why we never lost at hockey as no competition from football.

Remember one year when the german exchange students were over in their leather shorts - seemed like 50 aside football match germans v english. We were all born only 5 years after the war so a spicy game.

Remember the walk down to chatham for metal and woodwork?

Hold on Jerry …… “never lost at hockey”?…… I seriously beg to differ. I’m an aged student from Gillingham Technical High School, which was based in Green Street just off Gillingham High Street, and we played you at hockey. Whilst you beat us 14-0 on our first encounter we beat you 4-3 a year later. The fact a student called Singh joined us during that time and he scored three of the goals with his hypnotic stick skills, is immaterial ……. we won. 😉👍

Hold on Jerry …… “never lost at hockey”?…… I seriously beg to differ. I’m an aged student from Gillingham Technical High School, which was based in Green Street just off Gillingham High Street, and we played you at hockey. Whilst you beat us 14-0 on our first encounter we beat you 4-3 a year later. The fact a student called Singh joined us during that time and he scored three of the goals with his hypnotic stick skills, is immaterial ……. we won. 😉👍

Had a load of mates at green st. Not sure about other years but ours were never beaten. Odd draws against upbury and ggs but no losses.

Had a load of mates at green st. Not sure about other years but ours were never beaten. Odd draws against upbury and ggs but no losses.

Yep, I’ve just checked your replies to Grinny Blue above and if you think your school years coincided with his then we have an age difference. The season of the infamous win over Chatham Tech was 1963-64. Don’t know what happened between the two schools after that year as I left in 64 and went to Uni. The next time I had any encounters with CT came later when I played for Maidstone HC against Old Holcs. Always a game played with spirit on both sides.

Hi I'm another one drawn into posting for the first time for years in this strange new optimistic world. I used to post a fair bit on Gills365 back in the day. I was born and brought up in Twydall, and apart from a few years in my twenties I've lived in Gillingham and Rainham ever since

Gotta ask, but boys playing Hockey was unheard of at the school I went to in the late 70's. The girls played it but we would have found it quite odd & seen it a bit of a girlie sport at that time. We were just football & Rugby & athlectics in the summer months. I'm thinking that maybe this was a grammar school type thing where as I attended your bog standard secondary school education. To be fair the school I attended was something like Fenn St from TV's ''Please Sir'' those old enough to remember, so hardly likely to have a boys hockey team I spose.

Not allowed to play football at GGS either. Pure snobbery.

I played rugby for the school (fringe player) in the first year but suffered a bizarre accident playing cricket for the school in the summer. Effectively rugby tackled a tree trunk running after a ball about to go over the boundary!
Switched to hockey thereafter for obvious reasons. Did enjoy it but we were looked down upon as a bit "girlie" in those sexist days. I have to say that it was/is a violent sport, well it certainly was in my day. Didn't feel like a "girlie" sport when I had the ball hit into my testicles (by someone in my own team ffs). Also had my lip stuck to my front teeth when hit in the mouth. Had to pull said lip off teeth leaving some flesh behind.

Aah, the good old days.

Last edited:
Wasn't the old saying that football was a gentleman's game played by hooligans and rugby was a hooligan's game played by gentleman (there was also a third version that Rugby League was a hooligan's game played by hooligans)?
Yes I remember that one. I was never much good at either but I did play a bit of league when I was a student at Salford Uni(about the most appropriate place in the country). However I was 6'3" tall and about 2' wide. Your average league player is 2' tall and 6'3" wide so after a couple of steam rollerings I stuck to watching Salford from the terraces on a Friday night. A lot cheaper than Old Trafford!