Where are we all based? n/g | Page 9 | Vital Football

Where are we all based? n/g

A mate of mine was on a YTS scholarship with Gills. (Remember those)
He got us some free tickets.
For some inexplicable reason, I got hooked.
I missed a few seasons when travelling around Europe and a few more because of playing but usually attended when I could.
After finishing playing, I became a St holder until I moved.
I went to the Fleet sometimes as well.
A lad from my school went on to manage them. Gary Aldous.
Good clubhouse as well.
I played in a charity match, for Shorne, against the Fleet when Aldous was manager (Portway was the star then). I played the first half in midfield and the 2nd half at CB. Aldous came on for Mal Watkins and I thought, I will have no problem with this short arse....how wrong was I. He was an absolute handful. We lost 7-0, but it was really enjoyable and we made a couple of grand for the air ambulance.

The level of support from Medway people is a disgrace, as evidenced by poor turnouts when we were in the Championship.

I agree, although I think the level of support from the people in Kent is a disgrace.
If they wer'e like the people of Portsmouth we would have 15,000 at every home game and probably a better past. I can understand people in North Kent following those clubs closer to them ie. the spotters or Wall but I just can never get my head round going passed Priestfield on a train to go and watch West Spam or Arsenal.
Had I arrived in pompey a few years earlier or born in the City I would def been a pompey fan. Respect clubs like them and Burnley who follow them through thick & thin. Rant over.

Born in east London (hence my love of pie ‘n mash and jellied eels.
Moved to Kent when I was 12.
First team I was allowed to go to on my own was The Gills when I was about 14 (I’m not telling how long ago that was).
Hooked.
Only member of my family who isn’t West Ham.

Once a Gill, always a Gill!

A good a place as any for a first post on the forum I guess...

Born in Maidstone, lived in Loose for the first 25 years of my life, moved to Coxheath for 5 years, couple of years in Maidstone town centre and now just moved to Northamptonshire with my wife and son.

Didn't expect to see many other Gills in the area, but based on this thread there's a few basically in the next village from where we are in Thrapston, small world indeed.

Looks like there might be a need for an East Mids Gills fan group soon enough!

Born in Maidstone, lived in Loose for the first 25 years of my life, moved to Coxheath for 5 years, couple of years in Maidstone town centre and now just moved to Northamptonshire with my wife and son.

Didn't expect to see many other Gills in the area, but based on this thread there's a few basically in the next village from where we are in Thrapston, small world indeed.

Welcome Joe 👍

Grew up in Thrapston, and spend a lot of my summer there playing cricket for Thrapston now. Dad is still there and up until recently former player Chris Hope lived in the town too.

Small world indeed

Grew up in Thrapston, and spend a lot of my summer there playing cricket for Thrapston now. Dad is still there and up until recently former player Chris Hope lived in the town too.

Small world indeed

Shame Chris Hope has moved, he was a hero of mine in my teenage years for sure - would've been fun to bump into him down the pub! I imagine he must've discovered the area while playing for Rushden & Diamonds as it's just down the road.

It's a shame that Rushden went the way they did and Kettering had to leave Rockingham Road - the local football ground level round here isn't great but still friendly enough for a day out. I've been down to watch Kettering a few times already to get my midweek matchday fix as Priestfield is just a little out of reach of a Tuesday night these days.

but I just can never get my head round going passed Priestfield on a train to go and watch West Spam or Arsenal.

100 agree. Our local pub landlord was an Arsenal fan and they ran trips up there all time. My old man couldn’t understand why they went past Gillingham every time instead of stopping off to see the mighty Gills instead ( even once or twice) and often gave them stick about it. And he was from Yorkshire.

Shame Chris Hope has moved, he was a hero of mine in my teenage years for sure - would've been fun to bump into him down the pub! I imagine he must've discovered the area while playing for Rushden & Diamonds as it's just down the road.

It's a shame that Rushden went the way they did and Kettering had to leave Rockingham Road - the local football ground level round here isn't great but still friendly enough for a day out. I've been down to watch Kettering a few times already to get my midweek matchday fix as Priestfield is just a little out of reach of a Tuesday night these days.

I'm fairly regular at KTFC these not being able to get down to Gills as often as I would like!

When I lived just outside Hull the local pub had a converted barn where they showed football, around the top of the barn, which was around 5M high, they hung various football shirts. I gave them a Gillingham shirt and the landlady offered a free pint to anybody who could name the club. Needless to say nobody won.

Born in Tunbridge Wells .................. lived 400 yards from the ground ............. used to climb over the fence at half time to collect cup from the crowd .............. [ there was 2d deposit in each one ] ..................... made a few bob, and then climbed over again to get out ............... one day [ 1953 ] decided to stay and watch the second half ................ hooked after that .................. lucky enough to have seen some great players from that era ................ was at Newport in 1963/4 to see us clinch the 4th Division championship ................... moved with work to Hampshire in 1989 ............. no only an occasional spectator at Priestfield .............. often go and watch Aldershot, just 12 miles from where I live.

Did anyone actually pay to go to matches in the olden days?

Seems everyone I know or speak to jumped the fence? Unless Hampshirrgills is also my dad?

I agree, although I think the level of support from the people in Kent is a disgrace.
If they wer'e like the people of Portsmouth we would have 15,000 at every home game and probably a better past. I can understand people in North Kent following those clubs closer to them ie. the spotters or Wall but I just can never get my head round going passed Priestfield on a train to go and watch West Spam or Arsenal.
Had I arrived in pompey a few years earlier or born in the City I would def been a pompey fan. Respect clubs like them and Burnley who follow them through thick & thin. Rant over.

I’ve lived in a few cities where there are some big clubs. There is an excitement about the football in those cities even from those people who are not big supporters.

People in those cities will casually go to a match as something to do at the weekend - in just the same way that they’ll pop down to the cinema to watch a film or go down to Buckmore Park to race go-karts.

That’s never been the case in Gillingham even during the glory years. I don’t understand it.

I’ve lived in a few cities where there are some big clubs. There is an excitement about the football in those cities even from those people who are not big supporters.

People in those cities will casually go to a match as something to do at the weekend - in just the same way that they’ll pop down to the cinema to watch a film or go down to Buckmore Park to race go-karts.

That’s never been the case in Gillingham even during the glory years. I don’t understand it.
I’m hoping that this will change with a more proactive owner and Ceo, TB.
As Kent’s only league club, it should be shouted from the rooftops but unfortunately, GFC has for a long time been a secret.