What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol? | Page 24 | Vital Football

What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol?

The discussion should be around the principle and long term repercussions. The principle is simple - the jury must be sacrosanct whether we like the decision or not.

On the one hand the government can always amend a law and on the other the defendant can appeal - this is the right balance and we must defend it.

The judiciary or executive must never be allowed to summarily overturn a jury's decision or we would be in a dictatorship. The exception of course is in the appeal process which is pointed purposely in the defendant's favour.

Arguing for a court or executive override if you dont like the decision puts one in bed with other legal systems that the same person would politically not agree with.

A discussion, brought about by an appeal, would be a discussion on points of law, not a discussion on disliking the jury`s decision. As you say, jury verdict is sacrosanct - unless it`s not possible to have a jury - as in recent N/Ireland history.

An appeal by the A/General wouldn`t be an attempt to overturn the jury verdict - the verdict stands. But, if there is concern that points of law may not have been interpreted as they should have, then a successful appeal, on points of law, would prevent the same (possibly) incorrect interpretation being allowed to stand in a future (similar) trial.

Back to the original question - a statue of Scally.

We can then all meet up in Bristol , have a few beers (or ciders), meet up with Buddha, tear the statue down and chuck it in the harbour.

Be a good weekend.
You’d better hope Durham’s not on the jury for your case.....

A discussion, brought about by an appeal, would be a discussion on points of law, not a discussion on disliking the jury`s decision. As you say, jury verdict is sacrosanct - unless it`s not possible to have a jury - as in recent N/Ireland history.

An appeal by the A/General wouldn`t be an attempt to overturn the jury verdict - the verdict stands. But, if there is concern that points of law may not have been interpreted as they should have, then a successful appeal, on points of law, would prevent the same (possibly) incorrect interpretation being allowed to stand in a future (similar) trial.

Totally agree, as i said the government can always amend a law. That may as you say be achieved by the process you outlined.

Back to the original question - a statue of Scally.

We can then all meet up in Bristol , have a few beers (or ciders), meet up with Buddha, tear the statue down and chuck it in the harbour.

Be a good weekend.

but the OP was purposely diverted by the Bud into a discussion re the decision to find the four innocent lol.

Ever so slightly off topic but did anyone watch Andi Oliver and her daughter Mequita going to the Caribbean to check out their ancestry.
It was a very good watch with a few diverse opinions.
I particularly liked the black Londoners who were so tired of living as a minority in a predominantly white country that they made the conscious decision to move to a predominantly black country to feel accepted.
What a brilliant attitude.
If you don’t like something, change it instead of whinging.

Ever so slightly off topic but did anyone watch Andi Oliver and her daughter Mequita going to the Caribbean to check out their ancestry.
I particularly liked the black Londoners who were so tired of living as a minority in a predominantly white country that they made the conscious decision to move to a predominantly black country to feel accepted.

Ever wonder about why they’re fed up living as a minority?

It should make you sad rather than anything else.

Out with Colston Road, in with Colston Four Road. Gotta love Bristol! 😛

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/colston-road-renamed-honour-people-6651079
Is it an official Bristol sign ?
Probably not.

Is it likely that all Labour councillors in Bristol are blind to the obvious vandalism - and minded to "honour" criminals - whether or not convicted ?
Doubtful.

Then there is the small but not important matter of discrimination against other Colstons - nothing to do with one particular Colston.
Have the feelings of Jennifer Colston, Charles Colston, Sarah Colston (all no relation) been considered ?

Did "Shipman Roads" or "Sutcliffe Roads" get renamed ?

Ever wonder about why they’re fed up living as a minority?

It should make you sad rather than anything else.

Quite the opposite actually.
There is an old saying 'birds of a feather'

Most feel most comfortable living with their own kind.

I'm pretty sure that if I was born black in the UK and felt that I never fitted in, I'd do exactly the same thing.

Quite the opposite actually.
There is an old saying 'birds of a feather'

Most feel most comfortable living with their own kind.

I'm pretty sure that if I was born black in the UK and felt that I never fitted in, I'd do exactly the same thing.

You’d prefer that over a more inclusive society?

Ok.

Well they didn't change it, did they Shotshy? Sadly, they decided to retreat. I do not use the term 'retreat' in a perjorative sense btw.

Unfortunately your comment came across as a bit like "if you don't like it here, f### off". Hope I'm wrong.

You’d prefer that over a more inclusive society?

Ok.
Go to London, and you'll see how inclusive it is. Africans live with Africans, Eastern Europeans live with Eastern Europeans, Bangladeshis live with etc etc. That's just how it is, it's language and culture that are the deciding factors.

If you don't believe me, go and look. Stratford, Poplar, Haringey, Golders Green. Just observe. Not sure how we can make the UK more inclusive, and it doesn't seem to be putting off people trying to get here

Unfortunately your comment came across as a bit like "if you don't like it here, f### off". Hope I'm wrong.
If "white privilege" (i.e. being white in a white country) is such an issue for a Black person, then it is the solution. I haven't watched the programme, I don't know whether it was people "going back to their roots" (as suggested) or whether it was due to racism (which I'm sure you hope it was).

Go to London, and you'll see how inclusive it is. Africans live with Africans, Eastern Europeans live with Eastern Europeans, Bangladeshis live with etc etc. That's just how it is, it's language and culture that are the deciding factors.

If you don't believe me, go and look. Stratford, Poplar, Haringey, Golders Green. Just observe. Not sure how we can make the UK more inclusive, and it doesn't seem to be putting off people trying to get here

And the white people tend to live in white areas too, strange you missed that off. It’s the idea that this place ‘belongs’ to any particular demographic is worrying though.

And the white people tend to live in white areas too, strange you missed that off. It’s the idea that this place ‘belongs’ to any particular demographic is worrying though.

Eastern Europeans are white, so I did cover that