What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol? | Page 26 | Vital Football

What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol?

I don't think Pie and Mash was the best example he could have used. I love Pie and Mash, but you don't need to force Lithuanians or Nigerians to eat it.

I think football is a better example. Watching Leicester (the first city to be minority white) playing West Ham (based in Newham, the most diverse area in the country) and all the crowd was white. Why is that? You go to Gillingham high street on Sunday and it is Eastern Europeans and Africans. Why do they not go to Priestfield?

Is it simply that they don't want to?

I don't think many of the old locals seen in Gillingham High Street go to Priestfield Lots of reasons but price a big factor. I wonder how many of us would end up as Gills fans if we were young now.

Of course, there was your southern fish and chips: huge ghastly gurnet and rock salmon with the skin left on, terrifying pickles and eggs looking like something prehistoric in jars of dim green fluid, and savaloys, and then there was your northern fish and chips, small, skinless and tasty cod, hake and haddock, with mock malt vinegar.

But ghastly pickled eggs also seen up North. I tried one once, revolting. Patties in Hull a very local thing really just potatoes and herbs in batter but surprisingly good. Butter pies in Burnley!

I don't think many of the old locals seen in Gillingham High Street go to Priestfield Lots of reasons but price a big factor. I wonder how many of us would end up as Gills fans if we were young now.

And conversely how many of us Gills fans actually do our shopping in the high street?

If you're ever in Bristol, this place does the best jerk chicken I've ever tasted. 'Chef' was brought up in the Jamaican hills and his grandmother taught him how to cook. She taught him well!

I had some on Friday, absolutely delicious. Can't recommend it highly enough.

https://riceandthings.co.uk/
Thanks for that it is only a few miles from my brothers place (although he moves later this year,but still in that region. )Try to get there at some point love Caribbean food the real stuff is excellent.

Thanks for that it is only a few miles from my brothers place (although he moves later this year,but still in that region. )Try to get there at some point love Caribbean food the real stuff is excellent.

I've only ever had take-away but have friends who've used the restaurant and say it's great.

Word of warning, he only does the jerk chicken on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. But the goat curry is also brilliant, and that's available all week.

Depends if you want to blame the people who move in, rather than the people who move out. I guess.

I think that’s the point. You were talking about embracing inclusivity earlier, but seem to only want that to apply to the traditional population of say East London to newer arrivals (and I don’t disagree with that ti an extent). There seems to be no desire to ask those who have moved there in the past 30 odd years to be inclusive and embrace the cultures of those who live or lived there.

Last edited:
Ah, the good old days. Fish and chips or fish and chips. Then a miracle, Wimpy arrived in town. Oh how I pine for those far off glory days of fine, traditional cuisine.

You take the piss, but have you walked around Stratford recently (and that’s just my example as it’s near to where I work but there are many others)? Places like Stratford had cuisine from around the world available 30 or so years ago and you could get jerk chicken, Bangladeshi curries, alongside bagels and traditional greasy spoons, pie n mash and fish n chips. I’d suggest you have a look at what’s there now and you’ll find it hard to find any of the traditional type outlets and most of all that’s left are low grade takeaways that are probably on those lists you see in local papers once in a while for getting one or no stars out of five in the food health stakes!

It’s also generally not a pretty place to walk about. Not sure what’s worse for a walk about - an average day in Stratford or the days the knuckledraggers and mockneys are in town for a West Ham home game? Very, very different punters, but both very avoidable..,

I've only ever had take-away but have friends who've used the restaurant and say it's great.

Word of warning, he only does the jerk chicken on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. But the goat curry is also brilliant, and that's available all week.
Thanks I pass the word about.Not sure about my brother's friends taste in foods but believe my brother will be up for a good Caribbean meal.

Plymouth fan on their forum said Gillingham High Street is the only place in Britain where the babies have tattoos 😂😂
I remember walking through Blackpool streets on the way to the train station after catching the tram back from Fleetwood. Every other shop seemed to be a tattoo parlour with numerous prams and push chairs parked outside.

We do a fair bit of shopping on GHS but I concede that,s not typical

Hard to think which shops you would use. Even whsmiths is gone now and the post office part is in a little shop (one cashier) opposite the old safeways entrance.

So gone are - m&s, debenhams, co-op, woolworths, tesco, post office, very soon natwest, mcdonalds. Any more?

Was after a battery the other day
, nothing in the high st, same for many other items.
Still plenty of charity shops, vape shops and continental grocers annnnddd now a costa coffee.

The high st is now dangerous from early evening and is populated mainly by chavs, unemployed, asylum seekers and poorer overspill from London.

And that was a positive review lol.

Ah yes forgot the tatoo parlour and multiple hairdressers some even next to each other.

If you want fresh fruit and veg then GHS is wellserved. My wife is a big fan of charity shops. Batteries? Try Wilkos or market stalls on market days. The Works, The Bike Warehouse. Key cutting, bags and I don't need M&S for underwear Peacocks will do. I can get a wider range of food than in Tesco's, which I never patronise. Aldi, Iceland and Nisa are better suited to the less well heeled.

I'd shop in Gillingham before Rainham every day of the week. Only fresh fish better in the latter. The wonderful Liddleows replaced by the equally good Boyce's fresh deal bread at half the price of Rochester. I don't eat meat but for those that do Rooms

I have never felt threatened at any time of day or night. There are many towns and suburbs that can give you that thrill if you want the real Mc,Coy. Canterbury and Maidstone are scarier than Gillingham though still non league.

Last edited: