What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol? | Page 25 | Vital Football

What should replace the Colston statue in Bristol?

The blue touch paper is extremely flammable on this thread.

But, whilst i`m here, i`d like to think that folk will be particularly careful as they navigate Defund The Police Avenue and Kill The Bill Hill - especially in the early hours...

Take care out there.....

Well they didn't change it, did they Shotshy? Sadly, they decided to retreat. I do not use the term 'retreat' in a perjorative sense btw.

Unfortunately your comment came across as a bit like "if you don't like it here, f### off". Hope I'm wrong.

I didn’t intend it to come across as that, as I said, quite the opposite
What you have is young black people actively choosing to change their unhappy situation.
Maybe I misread the program but it appears to me that these young people have enriched their life by choosing to live with likeminded people.
I’m aware that a few have since returned when the grass wasn’t necessarily greener but these particular people clearly made the right decision for them.
My family consciously decided to leave East London to move to Kent.
I’ve consciously decided to leave Kent and move to the Devon coast.
My point is simply if you don’t like where you are, do something about it.
I am full of admiration for these people.

The blue touch paper is extremely flammable on this thread.

But, whilst i`m here, i`d like to think that folk will be particularly careful as they navigate Defund The Police Avenue and Kill The Bill Hill - especially in the early hours...

Take care out there.....
A Midland Doctor had recently been accused of numerous sexual offences.
I’m waiting for the Defund the NHS protests. 😉

You’d prefer that over a more inclusive society?

Ok.

I'm all for an inclusive society, but inclusivity only seems to work one way, in that we are rightly expected to understand and accept (and sometimes tolerate) other cultures, the traditions and practices of people who have come to this country. Personally, I expect the process to be two way and, far too often it isn't, and our traditions and cultures are disrespected and ignored.

I have worked in and around several locations in the East of London for almost 20 years and can say that traditional East End/cockney cultures and traditions have been disrespected, not embraced, ignored and often wiped out by the new arrivals. I feel sorry for the traditional pie and mash shops, greasy spoons and often pubs trying to survive in the areas. When we moved office to Stratford some years ago, it took me about two weeks of lunchtime recces to find a greasy spoon (and we found one in the dingey back-end of the very dodgy Stratford Centre) and I couldn't find a pie and mash shop anywhere in Stratford and we had to get the DLR back to our old haunt in Chrisp Street for pie n mash - I certainly never would believe 20 years ago that such staple East End favourite lunchtime haunts would have been almost wiped out.

I would wager that most of the ‘traditional cockney’ types have moved out, and that’s why running or owning a pie and mash shop is no longer sustainable. It’s not the fault of the population who subsequently moved in, wherever they happen to have their historical roots.

London has always been a city of changing demographics as with most major cities anywhere, what it was 50 years ago isn’t what it is now, especially the more localised you look in to it. It won’t be the same in 50 years, and there’s no real good or bad about that. And it shouldn’t be seen as such, either.

I would wager that most of the ‘traditional cockney’ types have moved out, and that’s why running or owning a pie and mash shop is no longer sustainable. It’s not the fault of the population who subsequently moved in, wherever they happen to have their historical roots.
Isn't that LITERALLY what he just said? That people have come into an area and haven't supported and embraced the existing culture?

Depends if you want to blame the people who move in, rather than the people who move out. I guess.

Depends if you want to blame the people who move in, rather than the people who move out. I guess.
Maybe don't blame anyone, just accept that people are able to do what they want with who they want in the UK, and leave it at that?

I'm all for an inclusive society, but inclusivity only seems to work one way, in that we are rightly expected to understand and accept (and sometimes tolerate) other cultures, the traditions and practices of people who have come to this country. Personally, I expect the process to be two way and, far too often it isn't, and our traditions and cultures are disrespected and ignored.

I have worked in and around several locations in the East of London for almost 20 years and can say that traditional East End/cockney cultures and traditions have been disrespected, not embraced, ignored and often wiped out by the new arrivals. I feel sorry for the traditional pie and mash shops, greasy spoons and often pubs trying to survive in the areas. When we moved office to Stratford some years ago, it took me about two weeks of lunchtime recces to find a greasy spoon (and we found one in the dingey back-end of the very dodgy Stratford Centre) and I couldn't find a pie and mash shop anywhere in Stratford and we had to get the DLR back to our old haunt in Chrisp Street for pie n mash - I certainly never would believe 20 years ago that such staple East End favourite lunchtime haunts would have been almost wiped out.

I love pie and mash and never struggle to find one in either London or Kent that far away, does seem a bit of an over-reaction mate.

While working in Brixton not that long ago I enjoyed jerk chicken, lamb patte that kind of food is also great. I'm also very happy with a Nandos, plenty of them around London.

You'll be amazed while working near Hayes (Borders of South London) today I found a cafe right by the station, they served traditional breakfast... sausage, eggs, bacon, the works...incredible. 😉

Reactions: PuB
Ah, the good old days. Fish and chips or fish and chips. Then a miracle, Wimpy arrived in town. Oh how I pine for those far off glory days of fine, traditional cuisine.

Ah, the good old days. Fish and chips or fish and chips. Then a miracle, Wimpy arrived in town. Oh how I pine for those far off glory days of fine, traditional cuisine.
We actually had a Wimpy Bender meal a few weeks back in Barnstaple.
It was brilliant 🤩
Lovely memories for both of us.

Local Wimpy was in Parkwood. Horrible and drab. A thoroughly depressing experience.
Soon returned to cadjing the leftover crackling scraps in the chippy in Fairview Avenue.

I love pie and mash and never struggle to find one in either London or Kent that far away, does seem a bit of an over-reaction mate.

While working in Brixton not that long ago I enjoyed jerk chicken, lamb patte that kind of food is also great. I'm also very happy with a Nandos, plenty of them around London.

You'll be amazed while working near Hayes (Borders of South London) today I found a cafe right by the station, they served traditional breakfast... sausage, eggs, bacon, the works...incredible. 😉
I don't think Pie and Mash was the best example he could have used. I love Pie and Mash, but you don't need to force Lithuanians or Nigerians to eat it.

I think football is a better example. Watching Leicester (the first city to be minority white) playing West Ham (based in Newham, the most diverse area in the country) and all the crowd was white. Why is that? You go to Gillingham high street on Sunday and it is Eastern Europeans and Africans. Why do they not go to Priestfield?

Is it simply that they don't want to?

Of course, there was your southern fish and chips: huge ghastly gurnet and rock salmon with the skin left on, terrifying pickles and eggs looking like something prehistoric in jars of dim green fluid, and savaloys, and then there was your northern fish and chips, small, skinless and tasty cod, hake and haddock, with mock malt vinegar.