What are you cooking during lockdown? | Page 259 | Vital Football

What are you cooking during lockdown?

A quite spicy prawn and mushroom curry tonight, made with tomato, garlic, cumin seeds, chilli flakes etc, plus rice flavoured with cloves and star anise.
That sounds interesting Rob and tasty. I presume you just boil the rice with the cloves and star anise and then just pick them out before serving?

That sounds interesting Rob and tasty. I presume you just boil the rice with the cloves and star anise and then just pick them out before serving?
That's it, spot on. Or, if you like to live dangerously, leave a clove in for the thrill of not knowing who'll get it!

It did turn out really tasty though. The Mrs made it from scratch and we were very pleased with the result.

A sort-of chicken, mushroom and spinach stroganoff, tonight. Main flavours:paprika, a good dash of Worcestershire sauce and plenty of fresh dill.

We served it with tagliatelle -rather than the more traditional rice - and it worked very well.

That sounds delicious! Mrs N. agrees...
It really was good and I’m not a massive fan of cheese. The recipe said to use Cornish cheddar but we just used a mild cheddar that we had in and the roasted cauliflower was delicious. The added bacon was a negotiated extra for my benefit which I think worked well. Mrs E would have been happy either way.

It really was good and I’m not a massive fan of cheese. The recipe said to use Cornish cheddar but we just used a mild cheddar that we had in and the roasted cauliflower was delicious. The added bacon was a negotiated extra for my benefit which I think worked well. Mrs E would have been happy either way.

Was the bacon in the dish or on the side?

Was the bacon in the dish or on the side?
Chopped up and fried separately and then put in with the leeks.

Soften the leeks with butter first and add a little flour to thicken whilst roasting the chopped cauliflower with a sprinkle of olive oil (20-25 mins). Slowly add the milk and allow to thicken, then add grated cheese and set aside. Cook macaroni for 8mins, drain and add to the sauce along with the cauliflower. Season and transfer to an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with grated cheese and cook for 20-25 mins
oven temp 200/180 fan
ingredients
1 cauli
1 halved and sliced leek
40g flour
600ml whole milk
200g ( mature) cheddar
300g macaroni
chopped chives to sprinkle on top (optional)
5 rashers smoked bacon (optional but recommended)
Enjoy….enough for us both again tomorrow

Chopped up and fried separately and then put in with the leeks.

Soften the leeks with butter first and add a little flour to thicken whilst roasting the chopped cauliflower with a sprinkle of olive oil (20-25 mins). Slowly add the milk and allow to thicken, then add grated cheese and set aside. Cook macaroni for 8mins, drain and add to the sauce along with the cauliflower. Season and transfer to an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with grated cheese and cook for 20-25 mins
oven temp 200/180 fan
ingredients
1 cauli
1 halved and sliced leek
40g flour
600ml whole milk
200g ( mature) cheddar
300g macaroni
chopped chives to sprinkle on top (optional)
5 rashers smoked bacon (optional but recommended)
Enjoy….enough for us both again tomorrow

Roger that. Mrs N. very keen to try this at the weekend.

A simple one tonight - baked potato, sliced sausage, fried onions, mushrooms and white cabbage, with grated cheese and dollops of a sauce* I made.

*I mixed some Greek yogurt and English mustard. Cultural fusion!