What are you cooking during lockdown? | Vital Football

What are you cooking during lockdown?

Rob the Imp

Vital Football Hero
Anybody using their extra time to learn why new cooking or baking skills?

I'm doing everything I can to make dishes containing mostly veg more interesting. One of the best has been mushroom pho - spicy as anything (might have accidentally used too much chili for our taste).

If meat substitutes are your thing, the Stella McCartney mozzarella burgers are amazing. They never fail to be delicious and juicy, like a real (meat) burger should be. £1 for two in Lidl too. Banging! (And I say this as a meat eater)

We've signed up for local weekly food cooperative veg box delivered to the house so we're basically saying: what can we make with this? Interesting times!

Ah yeah, those are decent! We have a subscription with wonkyvegboxes.co.uk, you do get some unusual items sometimes. My dad has grown some strange things over the years, but the day we received a kohl rabi I had to consult him on what it was and what to do with it!

Ah yeah, those are decent! We have a subscription with wonkyvegboxes.co.uk, you do get some unusual items sometimes. My dad has grown some strange things over the years, but the day we received a kohl rabi I had to consult him on what it was and what to do with it!

We recently got some bok choi, which I had never used before. Quite nice in a stir-fry. Great having the internet, of course, you can just search "Recipes using...". :grinning:

We recently got some bok choi, which I had never used before. Quite nice in a stir-fry. Great having the internet, of course, you can just search "Recipes using...". :grinning:
Stir fry is the only use I've found for bok choi so far! You're absolutely right, it's so good having a world of recipes available online for free. Every time I have something I particularly need to use up I go straight to Google for recipes!

Garlic mushrooms in a cream and gruyere sauce with crusty bread tonight. My waistline is expanding quicker than the early universe. :)

We braved a BBQ tonight, despite the dark clouds threatening - it was needed after an afternoon digging out the garden. Salmon, basa and halloumi for my fiancee, and gammon, steak and sausages for me. Plus barbecued bananas for dessert!

Nice! I'm a bit of a one-pot cook so the moussaka was a bit of a clat to put together but very nice.

Nice! I'm a bit of a one-pot cook so the moussaka was a bit of a clat to put together but very nice.
One pot means less washing up right? Never a bad thing! We often use one pot or pan to use up bits and pieces, or when we lack inspiration for a fully formed meal...these we call 'sh*tmixes'! I haven't perfected the art yet but my better half has a real talent for making something tasty out of any old thing we have.