West Brom | Page 4 | Vital Football

West Brom

I think some on here are giving Windass way too much influence to suggest that we were so poor so long down to his presence in the dressing room and him being gone is the difference maker. He may not have helped but I suspect he was a minor issues.

He wasn't responsible for picking dodgy sides, negative tactics, making odd subs and no one being able to concentrate on set pieces and generally a lot of players not playing well. Those were the things doing us in and Josh had little influence on most of that.

I think that Josh leaving probably has little or no difference in the turn around think it's been a combination of lots factors some deliberate and some accidental changed forced by injuries. We've haphazardly tried lots of things over the season and slowly managed to work out better way of doing things that lead us to the improvement we've seen. It's now a bit like the perfect storm of changes that have lead us to something like that one Martinez startling turn around - when we almost inexplicably turned into world beaters in a blink of an eye after being garbage all season.

It's hard to pin point everything for certain but my theory of the key changes are;

If you look back the seeds of the turn around started to shown after the terrible Reading and Luton back to back defeats. It felt like that was rock bottom and caused some re-evaluation in the camp and maybe even the development of a siege mentality. It wasn't like a switch flipped and we suddenly stopped doing all the things we did wrong but it was then the very noticeable change from relentless long ball to a more passing based game was made and i think that is the biggest individual factor. As it was just so ineffective offensively, while defensively just gave posession away so the ball came back at us every time. Plus all of the chasing both in and out of posession left us absolutely knackered and vulnerable to conceeding so many late goals - it made us look unfit because we were forcing ourselves to run so much more than the opposition. We still play a fair bit of long ball but it's not anything like it was and I think the very obvious concerted effort to try and play more football built the foundation that have allowed the other changes to start to work.

What also coinsided with this was Naismith moving to centre half. While people may point to his positive impact on carrying the ball out i think we miss the bigger difference which was Kipre moving from left to right centre half and being forced for the first time to lead the back line was a big difference maker. Kipre is right footed so it is probably a more comfotable fit for him and going from being the follower to the leader seems to have brought the best out of him and those around him. He mentioned this in an interview when it first happened and the organisation has gradually looked better. Along with this has been the decrease in last minute and set piece goals against us. We still have those weaknesses but it's nowherr near as bad which I imagine has been down to lots of work on the training ground too.

In line with the decrease of blind long ball i think we've finally started getting something out of Moore. Having the option to go long is different from trying to force it all the time and his presence in the side changes the opposition approach to us. As even if he doesn't cause much threat on goal he occupies the opposition and gives us an out ball to allows us to push up better more and gives us more space to play out more from the back.

I think Morsy has started to take more attacking responsibility and getting forward and willing to get involved. He always comes from deep so is often not marked and in space so that occasional extra potential threat has generated a few goals and assists from deep. Not just that but his overall game has improved and after a difficult start it seems him and Williams have found a way to make their partnership work.

Balogun added to the back line has obviously helped make things even better as he is a very good player. Helping us look more solid. Maybe he is even leading Kipre now but whoever is calling the shots it is looking a genuinely great partnership now.

I do wonder if Robinson coming out of the side has helped as we were very reliant on him taking the ball forward which he was excellent at but he had little end product. Meaning that the side has had to try and do things differently rather than just looking for him every time.

More recently Massey, Jacobs and Lowe have been non entities most of the season but have started to contribute and having everyone involved rather than 8 or 9 in the thick of it with a few passengers will obviously make a big difference.

The away win at Birmingham seemed like it exorcised the away day hoodoo. Keeping a couple clean sheet reccently seems to have helped shake off the last minute collapses too.

I think there has been a noticeable improvement in our game management in recent games. We've also generally been a bit more positive in our play and subs in terms of trying to win games where previously it seemed like we were more trying just not to lose.

Then on top of that some good luck going our way, some players finding better form and the obvious improved confidence better results breeds.

I also think when we went 7 adrift thanks to the postponed Sheff Wed game we had 10 days to think about everything and Garner said there was some kind of big meeting that he felt galvanised the players. So results since then have been better so that could be part of it. Someone previously mentioned something similar happened at Portsmouth.

And finally we're getting to the stage of the season where the league has settled into shape - teams know who is good, bad and indifferent and players know if they are playing for survival, promotion or nothing. Determination, motivation, laziness, complacency all rise and fall depending on which team you are and who you are playing and it's why you so often see the relegation sides pull out shock results in every league every season - you get a team fighting for it's life vs a side fighting for it's dinner and the difference in intensity can outweigh ability. So I think our poor season has made teams take us lightly and now we are getting our act together we are catching them cold.

I also remember last season Morsy said in an interview that the players were not worried about relegation during the poor middle run but there came a point where they started to get worried and they immediately upped their game and produced the Norwich and Leeds performances that saved us. I wonder if something similar happened this year, if there was a belief we would get out of it and suddenly that misplaced confidence broke and they upped their game.

Obviously all of the above happened at different stages rather than all in one big overnight go. And I'm sure there are lots of other bits and pieces and theories but whatever it was it has worked. So fair play to all involved in that including the manager. But if you'd have said when we had something like 14 without a win, 2 away wins in something like 36 etc heading into the new year that we'd end up with 4 away wins in the next 6, and top of the form league in the next 8 beating the top 2 away you'd haven been called mad. It truly is a remarkable turn around very reminiscent of the Roberto one. Let's just hope we finish the job now as still a long way to go and this remarkable come back could yet be for nothing if we take our foot off the gas.

Ha ha,what a club!Very impressive result and performance that against the league leaders!Furthermore West Brom had an extra 24 hours rest with no travelling as they beat PNE at home on Tuesday. Absolutely unbelievable week for us to get 9 points,to lift us up to the dizzy heights of 19th and I'm ecstatic tonight.
I listened to the game and have seen reports/highlights and we were the better team and full value for the win,which is great to see/hear. A lot of West Brom fans on twitter,as well as Bilic in his post match interview were very complimentary of us,which is great testament to everyone. We were again positive,showed intent and created several good chances.We won the midfield battle,we were also well organised and defended well to limit West Brom to few chances.
It was a smashing finish from the inspired Morsy who nearly broke the net with his bullet finish after a crucial touch back to him from Moore.
Confidence is massive in football and naturally it is growing through playing well and winning. The team spirit and togetherness is there for all to see.
We need to enjoy the win,rest up for a day or 2 then get ready and prepare for another huge game back at home against Luton next week!Up the tics!!

I think some on here are giving Windass way too much influence to suggest that we were so poor so long down to his presence in the dressing room and him being gone is the difference maker. He may not have helped but I suspect he was a minor issues.

He wasn't responsible for picking dodgy sides, negative tactics, making odd subs and no one being able to concentrate on set pieces and generally a lot of players not playing well. Those were the things doing us in and Josh had little influence on most of that.

I think that Josh leaving probably has little or no difference in the turn around think it's been a combination of lots factors some deliberate and some accidental changed forced by injuries. We've haphazardly tried lots of things over the season and slowly managed to work out better way of doing things that lead us to the improvement we've seen. It's now a bit like the perfect storm of changes that have lead us to something like that one Martinez startling turn around - when we almost inexplicably turned into world beaters in a blink of an eye after being garbage all season.

It's hard to pin point everything for certain but my theory of the key changes are;

If you look back the seeds of the turn around started to shown after the terrible Reading and Luton back to back defeats. It felt like that was rock bottom and caused some re-evaluation in the camp and maybe even the development of a siege mentality. It wasn't like a switch flipped and we suddenly stopped doing all the things we did wrong but it was then the very noticeable change from relentless long ball to a more passing based game was made and i think that is the biggest individual factor. As it was just so ineffective offensively, while defensively just gave posession away so the ball came back at us every time. Plus all of the chasing both in and out of posession left us absolutely knackered and vulnerable to conceeding so many late goals - it made us look unfit because we were forcing ourselves to run so much more than the opposition. We still play a fair bit of long ball but it's not anything like it was and I think the very obvious concerted effort to try and play more football built the foundation that have allowed the other changes to start to work.

What also coinsided with this was Naismith moving to centre half. While people may point to his positive impact on carrying the ball out i think we miss the bigger difference which was Kipre moving from left to right centre half and being forced for the first time to lead the back line was a big difference maker. Kipre is right footed so it is probably a more comfotable fit for him and going from being the follower to the leader seems to have brought the best out of him and those around him. He mentioned this in an interview when it first happened and the organisation has gradually looked better. Along with this has been the decrease in last minute and set piece goals against us. We still have those weaknesses but it's nowherr near as bad which I imagine has been down to lots of work on the training ground too.

In line with the decrease of blind long ball i think we've finally started getting something out of Moore. Having the option to go long is different from trying to force it all the time and his presence in the side changes the opposition approach to us. As even if he doesn't cause much threat on goal he occupies the opposition and gives us an out ball to allows us to push up better more and gives us more space to play out more from the back.

I think Morsy has started to take more attacking responsibility and getting forward and willing to get involved. He always comes from deep so is often not marked and in space so that occasional extra potential threat has generated a few goals and assists from deep. Not just that but his overall game has improved and after a difficult start it seems him and Williams have found a way to make their partnership work.

Balogun added to the back line has obviously helped make things even better as he is a very good player. Helping us look more solid. Maybe he is even leading Kipre now but whoever is calling the shots it is looking a genuinely great partnership now.

I do wonder if Robinson coming out of the side has helped as we were very reliant on him taking the ball forward which he was excellent at but he had little end product. Meaning that the side has had to try and do things differently rather than just looking for him every time.

More recently Massey, Jacobs and Lowe have been non entities most of the season but have started to contribute and having everyone involved rather than 8 or 9 in the thick of it with a few passengers will obviously make a big difference.

The away win at Birmingham seemed like it exorcised the away day hoodoo. Keeping a couple clean sheet reccently seems to have helped shake off the last minute collapses too.

I think there has been a noticeable improvement in our game management in recent games. We've also generally been a bit more positive in our play and subs in terms of trying to win games where previously it seemed like we were more trying just not to lose.

Then on top of that some good luck going our way, some players finding better form and the obvious improved confidence better results breeds.

I also think when we went 7 adrift thanks to the postponed Sheff Wed game we had 10 days to think about everything and Garner said there was some kind of big meeting that he felt galvanised the players. So results since then have been better so that could be part of it. Someone previously mentioned something similar happened at Portsmouth.

And finally we're getting to the stage of the season where the league has settled into shape - teams know who is good, bad and indifferent and players know if they are playing for survival, promotion or nothing. Determination, motivation, laziness, complacency all rise and fall depending on which team you are and who you are playing and it's why you so often see the relegation sides pull out shock results in every league every season - you get a team fighting for it's life vs a side fighting for it's dinner and the difference in intensity can outweigh ability. So I think our poor season has made teams take us lightly and now we are getting our act together we are catching them cold.

I also remember last season Morsy said in an interview that the players were not worried about relegation during the poor middle run but there came a point where they started to get worried and they immediately upped their game and produced the Norwich and Leeds performances that saved us. I wonder if something similar happened this year, if there was a belief we would get out of it and suddenly that misplaced confidence broke and they upped their game.

Obviously all of the above happened at different stages rather than all in one big overnight go. And I'm sure there are lots of other bits and pieces and theories but whatever it was it has worked. So fair play to all involved in that including the manager. But if you'd have said when we had something like 14 without a win, 2 away wins in something like 36 etc heading into the new year that we'd end up with 4 away wins in the next 6, and top of the form league in the next 8 beating the top 2 away you'd haven been called mad. It truly is a remarkable turn around very reminiscent of the Roberto one. Let's just hope we finish the job now as still a long way to go and this remarkable come back could yet be for nothing if we take our foot off the gas.
Great summary now we just need too keep the good run going to ensure playoffs 😘

best win of the season 67 posts where's everyone gone ?

But, how many times can posters post "that was excellent"?

I think you need to understand the way forums work:
- After a loss, people flood on the site to air their grievances and their views on what's going wrong. .......and bounce off each other - whether agreeing or disagreeing - to prolong the grief - and number pf posts - a little.
- After a (great) win, posters come on the site to express their delight .......and then that's it.

Be happy. We've won. We're in great form. We're hopefully heading for a decent finish to the season ..... and this time, let's hope we carry that on into next season too.

But, how many times can posters post "that was excellent"?

I think you need to understand the way forums work:
- After a loss, people flood on the site to air their grievances and their views on what's going wrong. .......and bounce off each other - whether agreeing or disagreeing - to prolong the grief - and number pf posts - a little.
- After a (great) win, posters come on the site to express their delight .......and then that's it.

Be happy. We've won. We're in great form. We're hopefully heading for a decent finish to the season ..... and this time, let's hope we carry that on into next season too.

if only the same could be said after a defeat eh a lot of posters conspicuous by there absence after three excellent wins but are first on for up to three days continuous moaning

UTFT

if only the same could be said after a defeat eh a lot of posters conspicuous by there absence after three excellent wins but are first on for up to three days continuous moaning

UTFT
Who's been absent? Hell, Norm (who started the thread) even said he fancied us to get summat !

So when are we picking up a pot as judging by some posts it seems like we’ve won some silverware.

Couple of excellent away wins and suddenly some are losing all sense of perspective. When I checked yesterday we were only a few points above the drop zone. Lose Saturday and the current bottom club are only 4 points behind us.

Undoubtedly there has been a change in recent weeks/months. The long ball shite cook inexplicably persisted with for over 12 months is now used less and no longer plan A. Seems to correlate with the publicised player meeting. The pressing has improved dramatically and midfield seems to be making a conscious effort to support Moore. Balogun has made a real impression and difference, seems we’ve had real luck in getting him on loan.

Of course the same tactical errors are still on show as demonstrated in the knob end fixture along with a stubbornness to change it. The margins are fine - ref correctly gives Millwall a pen last week and who knows how the subsequent week would have panned out. Credit however where’s it due, we thoroughly deserved to beat reading and even partisan baggies concede we deserved it yesterday too.

I’ve always said the squad is good enough to stay and we’ve been under performing for sometime due to managerial incompetence. He should have been sacked long ago, the repeated ineptitude is inexcusable. I’m not having he’s inexperienced at this level either - he has more games at this level than any of the other bottom ten managers. Why it’s taken so long to chance matters I’ve no idea. Regardless we’ve hope now and it’s important Cook doesn't revert to his cautious self in these up and coming six pointers. I’d estimate to survive this season 52 points is required and we’re still someway from that. So let’s not go counting chickens just yet and hope we carry on with the same approach.

A nice little interview with the skipper.

He puts the improvement down to "marginal gains" (like Dave Brailsford & the Sky cycling team). I can go with that. We've not often been stuffed this season. We've just done poor/silly things at times ........ and more often than not, been punished for it.

Like he says, everyone taking responsibility, increasing performance levels by maybe 3%, and each believing/trusting in their team mates ...... (and the Manager? :hmmm:).

Oh ......and "Parki-Ji Roberts !!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Cook out?

Not until the end of the season now. It's too close for us to deal with the disruption, but as soon as the final whistle goes in game 46, I'd have his P45 ready on the touchline.

A few wins and an upturn in form doesn't get him off the hook for a year of absolute dross. Not when we're only in the position we're in because of him.

If he'd been binned in October or November, we wouldn't have ever been in the position that we're celebrating getting out of the bottom three. We'd be comfortably in mid table obscurity by now.

It's not just performances on the pitch either. Off it, he's a total embarrassment, both in the way he deals with officials and press. For comparison, here's what Bilic said yesterday:

"We were flat and didn’t have that energy, spark or the determination to take control of the game.

“We didn’t manage the ball well, we weren’t direct and failed to keep the ball. Yes they are a good team that is in form, but so are we.

“We tried from the bench to make changes but unfortunately it didn’t work out and we can’t say we were unlucky today, we were simply not good enough."

Honesty. No schoolboy excuses. I'd give a kidney for a manager like that.

Can’t say I’d give a kidney. And I wouldn’t dismiss him on the touch line, the club should have a touch more class than that. I’d wait till the Monday personally. Can’t argue with the rest though.

As I’ve said before I don’t mind his pre and post match interviews too much! Guess it’s a personal preference and can understand it can get under people’s skin.

I think I stood by him a bit longer as I replied for him to stay in the first poll and to go in the second poll. Nowt against anyone who wanted him out in both.

So glad we seem to have turned a corner. But March is huge. Need wins against all the teams around us.

we always seem to play better at the back end of the season though don’t we ;) Long way to go though.

I think he will keep us up now. Regardless of the past, which I’m sure we are all equally disappointed in, he and the team appear to have finally created ...or stumbled upon ...a winning formula.....and for that I‘m hugely grateful.

As for the future, unless he personally decides to walk of his own volition (which I doubt) at the end of the season, I think he will be here for the remainder of his contract. I don’t say that from any “for or against” stance on Paul Cook, it’s just the way I think it will pan out.

The reasons that precluded any potential for telling him to leave prior to Christmas are all still very much in focus, from the rumours I am hearing regarding the parlous state of our finances. (I accept they are rumours btw, but that doesn't necessarily make them baseless)

The theories expounded elsewhere on here regarding Robinson being mothballed in order to guarantee his ‘fit for sale’ ticket in the summer and the substantial cash injection it brings, also doesn’t sound too far fetched but we’ll see the truth of that in the coming weeks.

I think Cook will stay, and Robinson (and maybe Gelhardt) may both be cashed in, not to provide transfer funds but to generate cash to cover
operational and wage costs. It may also be true of Moore if he impresses in the European games for Wales and his appeal and value increase accordingly.

Thanks MiW....it’s a fair amount of theorising and whatnot....maybe it will prove to be the case ....or not..

I had separate conversations today with two blokes who as far as I know don’t know each other, one a Latics regular the other a more general football fan .....but I’d regard both as being pretty down to earth and both intimated that money was becoming scarily tight at the club and specifically in the case of the wage bill, which is of course THE biggest cost item at any club.....but one of them said that even general suppliers to the club are now being told that we are demanding extended credit well beyond normal or previously agreed terms. Very worrying ...IF....it’s completely true ?