Weight Training Thread | Page 70 | Vital Football

Weight Training Thread

Note to self, be polite to Bikini Inspector and stop dressing up like a bear.

You doing any squats or lunges etc? That'll boost the old testosterone even more and helps release growth hormone.

Very good start there chap, and that's exactly why it's completion of reps as opposed to muscle failure at this time, gently does it : )

Bikini Inspector, that is common (not killing a bear and eating it raw) although I do feel that fire and have a big beard : )

6th week now, 5th was as follows

arms... curls 7.5kgx12 x 12 x 12 (bit faster last one)
hammer 5kg x 12x12x12

tri extension 5kg x 12x12ouch and x 12 bit quicker
lie down extension 5kg x12 ouch 2.5kg x 12 x 12

static squats 1m15seconds... break 1m break.. 1 m
lunges
50 press ups on night

Chest

press 10kg x 12 x 12 x 12 incline
flye 7.5kgx12 x 12 x 12 incline

30 crunches on bench x 4 inbetween the above
100x2 shadow boxing
7.5kg side twists x 50 x 2
lunges later and some press ups

Shoulder

press 5kg x 12 x 12 x 12 (cautious with weight on these as have slight niggles in rotator cuff at times)

lat raise 5kg x 12 2.5kg x 12x12
front lat raise 2.5 x 12x12x12

50 crunches
planks (60second x 3)

50 press ups (feet up) straight off (best for 14 months, I had got to 100 at one time)

25 standard on floor and 25 more later

Back... single arm row.. 12.5kg x 12x12x12
Reverse flye 5kg x 12x12 x 2.5kg ouch
shrugs 12.5kg 12x12x12

planks 60sec x 3
12.5kg obligues 12x12x12

At the end of week six, would you continue another week or two doing similar to above or....................

Week eight a week break?! I'm not going to do 2 weeks so don't boss me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice jump up for arms week six tonight. Have creatine loaded so could well be that.

Is it right, or an urban myth, that your body can only assimilate 40-50g of protein a time, if so, how long before servings?

The Fear - 10/2/2013 10:57

here you go heathfield. Some of the article, was in muscle and fitness mag...

not sure if this will work but:

Page 81, re interval training. Steff has been testing it out. He will post more fully at some stage but initial reaction is positive...

He said:

I spotted your post in the weights thread on the interval timings, on first look I thought "BOLLOCKS!" and big hairy dangly ones at that, 20odd% increase in performance, in an Athlete! Unheard of! But it is my job to check this stuff out, so I acquired the two papers and studied the methodology, research, sample size blah blah, and I couldn't find anything wrong, data was spot on, sample was large enough over a long enough period, the available evidence pointed to validity of both studies, so I immediately stopped doing my short and sweet 30/30's and moved onto the 30 second 3 minute interval, and then I found out why it works, it allows full recovery so you can work at a high enough max on the sprint interval, I tried it at 2 min, 2 mins 30, and 3, 3mins allowed full recovery, the 3 mins at 50% of max are just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boooooooooooooooooooooooring, but damn, it works, I've had close to a dozen people on that for weeks, it's doing the job nicely, the down side for me, is that it makes me suffer so much more due to workout duration, I even had to stop for a week! But it works, so thank you chap : )

The Fear - 11/3/2013 21:17

Is it right, or an urban myth, that your body can only assimilate 40-50g of protein a time, if so, how long before servings?

Myth! It's actually between 22-25g for your average trained individual, dependant on lean muscle mass obviously, I take between 25-30, but I have a bit more LMM than most, consumed within 45mins after training is the biggie, for you and other hard gainers/high metabolic rate individuals, you also need to take approx 30-60 mins before bed, if funds allow, a scoop in the morning porridge wouldn't go amiss : )

As always the best & cheapest test is how much you stink when breaking wind, when you get there, you will understand.

That's IF you believe you need liquid protein after training of course, some may disagree.................... : )

how long before servings?

In reality you could repeat every 1.5-2 hours throughout the day, but even body builders only usually load every 2.5-3 hours, with the hard gainers/high metabolic raters waking up once or twice during the night to neck a shake : ) Talk about suffering for your art!

nah, TRL isn't about these days Steff, no need to worry about that argument coming back! lol

I'm mixing up protein sources, find greek yoghurt good, some protein shakes, had some half price smoked salmon, chicken bits, turkey breasts, ham (off the bone) etc

Any Greek yogurt you would recommend Fear? I know a few can have a lot of hidden sat fats. I've read that the low fat ones from Fage? are the best.

How are you getting on with the creatine? I'm going to start on creatine next month when I'm down to the weight I want to be. Are the pills only more expensive or are they not as effective? Because they would be a lot more practical to fit around work etc...

Hey Bear, all well, not seen you about recently!?

Yes, Fage is the stuff I have. I go for the total 0% and put some (only a little) Gales blossom honey on it to make it a bit more palatable.

Good solid bit of protein in the pot, think it is about 17g from memory.

Creatine. I got a maximuscle one that dissolves well, doesn't make me gag etc! It is expensive but I got it from their clearance site. Not sure I'd pay the normal cost they charge.

But yes, going better this time, not feeling as bloated and can feel an increase in strength when training.

Steff has said the tablets aren't as effective somewhere within this thread. I guess only way around it work wise is to have a small tupperware beaker with the dry powder in. Bit of hot water to dissolve and mix and then put some cold in so you can neck it.

I'm well thanks, yeah by the time I'm done with work and gym I've just about got time to sleep. Been really trying to cut down my body fat, think i'm going to attempt the low-carb approach you posted at the top of the page to try and burn off the last few pounds.

Definitely going to start up on Creatine, Think I'l start loading on a weekend so it doesn't disrupt work too much...

Yeah, high protein is the way to go in my humble, add some nice veg so you aren't bored to death but cut out the simple carbs with sugar and processed rubbish and all will be well!

steff_the_villan - 14/3/2013 16:12

how long before servings?

In reality you could repeat every 1.5-2 hours throughout the day, but even body builders only usually load every 2.5-3 hours, with the hard gainers/high metabolic raters waking up once or twice during the night to neck a shake : ) Talk about suffering for your art!

Not just talking about shakes, think you are misunderstanding my last few pages of questions re protein intake!

However, on shakes, some seem to say consume within 30 mins of making. Out of curiosity, you any idea why it would reduce in usefulness. I can't really see, shaken and left for later, or instantly necked, why there would be degradation.

You ever read anything compelling on that?

Really just a curiosity rather than anything of massive importance. That said, to take a ready mixed shake for the night I'd not mind doing, god knows I get up enough, but not sure I'd want to start mixing because I tend to wake myself up messing about and then I'm done sleep wise!

Just seen another calculation....

take your weight and divide it by 100

so 82kg/100=0.82

subtract your body fat % from 100

so 100 - 22% = 78

multiply together

0.82x78 = 192g of protein.

Fair enough, I've more than covered that off each day.

Protein stink bombs... lol

My girlfriend does not appreciate, the stink bombs haha

Fear since you've been taking Creatine again how have you been mixing it? Do you just heat up water or are you mixing it with a hot drink? Also did you do a loading phase?

Yeah, into hot water, just a bit to mix it, then cold water on it so I can neck it. Don't think it mixes at all properly if you don't put it in hot water and that is probably why I was nauseous with it when I tried it first time.

Yes, loading phase, then once done, on the advice of Steff, just keep to the maintenance dose, no need to have a break from it then re-load

Loading phase is pretty crucial to get it soaked nicely into the muscles from what I've read. If it is awkward to do it in five amounts, try to do it in 3 but just a bit more maybe?

Thanks, I'm definitely going to see how I go with it. Think I'll start loading on a weekend or wait until the 4day weekend at the end of the month.

Hopefully there's not too much bloating around the stomach because I'm trying to burn away the fat.