Weight Training Thread | Page 125 | Vital Football

Weight Training Thread

Francus, I'm sure Juan will answer fully at some point... Well done on the muscle increase, great progress.

Great reference thread here:

http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=54268&start=1

You should shake up and change order of exercises*, some exercises, amount of reps, etc more frequently to confuse your muscles. Yours will be used to what you are doing. You need to trick them. I change every 5 weeks.

ie you can do

8 reps heavier, 1 min rest between sets

10 reps, 45 second rest

12 reps, 30 second rest and lighter

even what I'm on at the moment to really blast, 15 reps, 30 seconds...

PERFECT FORM... ALWAYS... You are not in competition with anyone other than yourself weight wise.

No need for 4 sets, that is overtraining. I've seen the former adviser say 2 is proven to be enough but that never feels like you are doing enough (!) so 3 is sufficient.

You can, when fit enough, always do a drop set at the end of certain exercises to finish yourself off completely!

Changing order example. Simply mean (if you didn't get what I meant which you probably did) swap them around:

your example:

Shoulders (over head standing db press, single arm front db raises, over head bb press, lateral flies, cable rear delt flies, internal and exteral rotation with theraband or low weighted cables)

You can change to any other combination:

Shoulders (over head bb press, cable rear delt flies, single arm front db raises, lateral flies, internal and exteral rotation with theraband or low weighted cables, over head standing db press)

Juan is the expert on actual exercises, on this particular one, shoulders, I've no idea why you'd do bb press and db press, it is too similar. I'd go db press and then power press if you wanted to do something similar.

THINK it is called power press. Basically you go to near the top of the press as usual but don't lower it full way, go half way and back up.

oh and throw in some front and side planks for core strength and don't ignore the abs totally!

Juan Mourep - 23/4/2014 22:22

I'm with Fear on this one, you need a definitive answer, a reason why at normal BP levels you have too much cranial pressure,when you have all of the information then you can plan your attack.

I can't see that your training would have caused these problems, sometimes the workload will highlight existing problems, but causing it, I doubt it.

The walking, swimming, cycling are good, pilates is okay, the modified pilates for physiotherapists is better, but you need a very good instructor who can get you to breath correctly while doing the exercises otherwise the blood pressure will rise.

My recommendation is Tai Chi, not only will it improve, strength, balance and flexibility, it also helps with focus, it's a form of mobile meditation, with no stress on the system and no raised BP, can't recommend it enough, it would be perfect for you, you would reap the benefits.

You can also weight train, but it has to be done slowly with the correct form and breathing, basically you need to see someone who really knows what they are doing.

But again, you need to find the cause, get that and get sorted.

Brilliant. Thanks Juan!!! I didn't know there was such a thing as pilates for physiotherapists. I'll look into it. And the Tai Chi sounds like a great idea, so I will look into this when I get home.

Thanks for the pm as well - much appreciated. I will try the above first and let you know.

I have taken a Beta blocker every day since last September, and under normal conditions the symptoms have disappeared. They lower my Blood pressure, and it does help. Maybe I should now go back to the Dr and find out f there is a root cause, or if it is just one of those things I've got to put up with.

Thanks so much again, and to Fear. All good to discuss with someone else.

There is always a root cause, most Docs just treat symptoms and are in the business of supplying drugs for that purpose, that is what they are taught to do, some Docs will actually advise you on how to prevent the problem, I hope you have the latter : ) If not, just find out all you can and we'll take it from there.

I was trained and certified by http://www.ausphysio.com/ I'm sure they could let you know of any qualified practitioners in your area.

What a spin session that was, the tutor is a maniac. Mountains my arse!

5 mins into the hour, feeling tired and apprehensive, amazing when you get the adrenalin going and push to the end.

What are you looking to achieve tarzan?

Do you know what your body fat is?

Just curious so not a loaded question mate! lol

I am trying to achieve, a lithe cyclist like body. My initial regimen has shifted some of mid riff blubber. But I now need to to tone and shape. I'd love a 6-pack. Concentrating on the exercises that you guys have suggested. Really cynical about weight training in the past, but light/good form is working well so far.

Love the spinning though, so grateful my knees aren't like yours.

Yeah, like sirdennis, loads of running and never a grumble!

It has taken me longer to get body fat down because of the problems doing aerobic although with the amount of lifting it would always have been more limited from choice, but some would be nice!

Going to try a little bit again now, got a nice spin cycle that I hire, might do a very limited HIT like that doc did on the BBC show (20 seconds x 2 but I'll do a few more than 2) and see. Some respond some don't.

There is also the programme I put up in the sticky thread but I start clicking and grinding when I do too much!

My body is a wreck!

Oh but the boxing does give me some aerobic actually, silly me! I do love ripping into those four bags and the shadow boxing that follows.

New gloves have arrived, mine ripped but also, don't want to be outdone by Skeggy.

And much like skeggmeister, I have XL because I'm a real man!

I have RDX gloves, decent price, decent quality, not as good as Juan's recommendation but I like to be able to replace them when they stink too much!!!!!!!!!!

The Fear - 24/4/2014 14:52

I have RDX gloves, decent price, decent quality, not as good as Juan's recommendation but I like to be able to replace them when they stink too much!!!!!!!!!!

Posh git! Get's smelly and replaces them while us mere mortals just shove ours in the washing machine! :5: :5: :5:

some questions from frankus on the page 146 Juan, you might have missed. I've (I think) covered some of it ok! :17: