We need to talk about Lundstram. | Page 4 | Vital Football

We need to talk about Lundstram.

While you attempt to prove your superior intellectual qualities and your attempt to decry we less superior beings, may I suggest that you check your spelling of equivalent.

I'll get my Vital Blades post slave to address that unforgivable error. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Love your fascist username.

I agree, and I'd assume that's what Wilder and Knill would have saide over the past few months. Strange then that we didn't seen to see similar reactions then isn't it LST?

I think the problem was GB both the coaching staff and players had got too comfortable with a system that worked last year but was eventually found out mainly due to us not having adequate back up players especially at LCB.

In pre EPL days we would change shape quite early if it wasn't working pushing Bash in to midfield. That was when we were mainly playing 3-4-1-2.

In the Prem we seemed obsessed with not changing anything as the system 3-5-1-1 was bound to work and in any event we would get turned over if we tried to play with a 10. Not that we ever did because we never tried it.

Players began to take less risks preferring to play in little triangles down the flanks unwilling to commit forward trying to walk the ball into the net. Now thats probably down in part to a lack of confidence and conditioning as well as the artificial atmosphere in lockdown football. Yet IMO criticism can be justifiably levelled at CW/AK and Prestridge in that there were no signs of the malaise being addressed. No attempt was made to make slight tweaks in formation such as 3-4-1-2, 3-4-2-1, 3-4-3 at the start of a game. All too often changes happened after 70 minutes usually when we were losing.

Yesterday I saw players moving the ball quicker passing was sharper pressing was best for some time after the half time interval. Lundstram for example has hardly run forward with the ball all season yet on 46 minutes he picked the ball up and charged down the wing and got in a first time cross and continued to do so for the rest of the half. We were moving the ball first time and had increased mobility running at the opposition. Haven't seen that all season.

I'm not saying it was all down to Heckingbottom and Tindall but it looked like a light had finally switched on in many players heads that we were capable of taking the game to a top six side rather than sitting back pulling up the drawbridge hoping to nick something. I just hope that its not a one off and we continue to have a go at teams as we did for those 45 minutes.

Last edited:
I think the problem was GB both the coaching staff and players had got too comfortable with a system that worked last year but was eventually found out mainly due to us not having adequate back up players especially at LCB.

In pre EPL days we would change shape quite early if it wasn't working pushing Bash in to midfield. That was when we were mainly playing 3-4-1-2.

In the Prem we seemed obsessed with not changing anything as the system 3-5-1-1 was bound to work and in any event we would get turned over if we tried to play with a 10. Not that we ever did because we never tried it.

Players began to take less risks preferring to play in little triangles down the flanks unwilling to commit forward trying to walk the ball into the net. Now thats probably down in part to a lack of confidence and conditioning as well as the artificial atmosphere in lockdown football. Yet IMO criticism can be justifiably levelled at CW/AK and Prestridge in that there were no signs of the malaise being addressed. No attempt was made to make slight tweaks in formation such as 3-4-1-2, 3-4-2-1, 3-4-3 at the start of a game. All too often changes happened after 70 minutes usually when we were losing.

Yesterday I saw players moving the ball quicker passing was sharper pressing was best for some time after the half time interval. Lundstram for example has hardly run forward with the ball all season yet on 46 minutes he picked the ball up and charged down the wing and got in a first time cross and continued to do so for the rest of the half. We were moving the ball first time and had increased mobility running at the opposition. Haven't seen that all season.

I'm not saying it was all down to Heckingbottom and Tindall but it looked like a light had finally switched on in many players heads that we were capable of taking the game to a top six side rather than sitting back pulling up the drawbridge hoping to nick something. I just hope that its not a one off and we continue to have a go at teams as we did for those 45 minutes.
Good post mate👍 Hopefully it'll all become clearer between now and the end of the season.

Maybe they realized themselves or were told at halftime that they still had a chance to reach the semi-final of the FA cup. The only way that could happen is to actually have a real go for it. Hopefully that will be the mindset for the remaining games we will see.

Lundstram is NOT one of ours. Rammers IS. Not a criticism anyway just a fact.:balloon:
All explained now MHMF , well with your twisted logic.A FACT only in your interpretation of the way you judge a player

So, any player who didn't start with us is open to criticism but anyone who came through the ranks isn't regardless of ability.
Bet you hate TC then.

Whatever Lundstram wanted is irrelevant.
He stays with us he's a Championship player on commemsurate wages. If not, he walks.

My point, which rod is incapable of understanding is that IF, and I stress IF, our management going forward deem him an asset which would cost millions to replace, then keeping him solves a problem.

I have been a huge critic but if he is ready to produce week on week then we have a very good champ standard box to box goalscoring middy.
If he needs any inducement to be ready to produce week on week then we should get rid and quick. That should be a prerequisite of any player playing for the Blades.

If he needs any inducement to be ready to produce week on week then we should get rid and quick. That should be a prerequisite of any player playing for the Blades.

Absolutely and his pathetic display against Leeds starting with the usual early yellowcard meaning he can coast the rest of the game to avoid a red. I wanted to believe he cared. He dosen't. I was wrong. Just get him out the door. Back door.