WBA after DC | Page 64 | Vital Football

WBA after DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
tbh, i would be surprised if chelsea chose lampard after one season in management. he's done even less than ole.

All signings are a gamble, managerial appointments more so. But unless you're appointing someone with a record of failure, what's the difference who you go for?

Would Guardiola or Zidane be suitable for Chelsea? Everyone's got to start somewhere and they started at the two biggest clubs in the world after one, and half a season respectively coaching B-teams in the lower reaches of the Spanish League.

I think partly it's that British football, talking very generally obviously, has the wrong idea of what qualities in a player will make a good manager. There's that obsession with passion and leadership so players with that sort of style are seen as management material. John Terry will walk into a big management job for example. Or you could look at how often Bryan Robson got employed despite being consistently useless.
there also seems to be an obsession with ex-players of the club making a good manager of that club.
would lampard be anywhere near the chelsea job if he hadn't played for them? after 1 year in management - one failed playoff campaign with a team that were top 6 anyway. big jump from championship to competing with liverpool and man city.

All signings are a gamble, managerial appointments more so. But unless you're appointing someone with a record of failure, what's the difference who you go for?

Would Guardiola or Zidane be suitable for Chelsea? Everyone's got to start somewhere and they started at the two biggest clubs in the world after one, and half a season respectively coaching B-teams in the lower reaches of the Spanish League.
two examples, out of how many thousands of appointments. kenny dalgleish would be a third one.

An example of a top manager who didn't play at a particularly high level was Arsene Wenger. He had plenty of detractors in later years, but if most of us had had his career I think we would feel we'd been pretty successful. (But obviously he is not English)
Mourinho, Benitez, Klopp as well. Not sure Lippi playing didn't play at a particularly high level?

Of course on the flip side there's Anchelotti, Guardiola etc etc.

two examples, out of how many thousands of appointments. kenny dalgleish would be a third one.

Quite right there's loads. So it can work, even if most likely works a lot less than it doesn't.

And I gave those two current examples because they were straight into the biggest jobs in world football, were highly well-known ex-players of their clubs and have five Champions League titles between them.

Zidane took over the wreckage of an unsuccessful Benitez, a manager with a proper track record. What happened next makes a mockery of always going for experience over the unknown.

Mourinho, Benitez, Klopp as well. Not sure Lippi playing didn't play at a particularly high level?

Of course on the flip side there's Anchelotti, Guardiola etc etc.

Plenty of foreign coaches make it without being too flight players, English examples are harder to find.

A nation that allows a Prime Minister to be selected by a few thousand racist OAPs in the Tory shires has a major problem.
Watch the video of the Stamford and Grantham lot, it's scary!
Just the same as picking as the new captain of the cricket or golf club apparently!

What I find odd about this scenario is that the press expect Lampard to get the job but the captain of that era and master full kit ****** John Terry? He came through the Chelsea youth ranks, not been mentioned, ,has he made a lot of enemies there?
I suspect Lampard is a facilitator by style whilst Terry is more confrontational and as a result the latter is possibly seen as more divisive. Confrontation worked better 30 years ago, facilitating and managing egos etc. is probably safer in the modern highly paid changing room.

I suspect Lampard is a facilitator by style whilst Terry is more confrontational and as a result the latter is possibly seen as more divisive. Confrontation worked better 30 years ago, facilitating and managing egos etc. is probably safer in the modern highly paid changing room.

If Lampard gets the gig the only guarantee he can be assured of is that if he manages to win the Champions League for his old club then his p45 will be waiting for him the following morning!
What next?

It’d be a great move for Lampard if he’s given time to bring some of their young players through. Think they have a transfer ban for the next two windows.

They do indeed and just sold their best player too. Abraham and co will be very important next season methinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.