WBA after DC | Page 63 | Vital Football

WBA after DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would be worried about derby... they don't appear to have a director of football. what about their chairman/owner? basket case or good chairman to work with?

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/whos-who

No need to worry DC/NC won't go anywhere now it's too close to the season. The players are back in next week so I am not worried one bit.

All their fans want Slavisa Jokanovic if Lampard goes anyway.

Last edited:
No need to worry DC/NC won't go anywhere now it's too close to the season. The players are back in next week so I am not worried one bit.

All their fans want Slavisa Jokanovic if Lampard goes anyway.
tbh, i would be surprised if chelsea chose lampard after one season in management. he's done even less than ole.

It does make you wonder when the 'PE teacher' thing will become irrelevant. After two league titles, a play-off semi-final, an FA Cup quarter-final and a Wembley cup win in three years, you would have thought people's attention would be focused on that.

It does make you wonder when the 'PE teacher' thing will become irrelevant. After two league titles, a play-off semi-final, an FA Cup quarter-final and a Wembley cup win in three years, you would have thought people's attention would be focused on that.

Good question, but at the moment I think there is a lot of resentment among the old boys club that is most league managers that a couple of ex teachers who never played the game professionally can come in and outperform most of them. So I expect it to continue to be used to belittle them.

Good question, but at the moment I think there is a lot of resentment among the old boys club that is most league managers that a couple of ex teachers who never played the game professionally can come in and outperform most of them. So I expect it to continue to be used to belittle them.
That's it in a nutshell for me, Graham Taylor had a similar problem with the England players apparently, him being a lower league player and them being internationals.

That's it in a nutshell for me, Graham Taylor had a similar problem with the England players apparently, him being a lower league player and them being internationals.

In my opinion it's completely stupid and the sooner football realises that good managers don't have to have been good players the better.

Good players generally aren’t good managers!

I think partly it's that British football, talking very generally obviously, has the wrong idea of what qualities in a player will make a good manager. There's that obsession with passion and leadership so players with that sort of style are seen as management material. John Terry will walk into a big management job for example. Or you could look at how often Bryan Robson got employed despite being consistently useless.

I think partly it's that British football, talking very generally obviously, has the wrong idea of what qualities in a player will make a good manager. There's that obsession with passion and leadership so players with that sort of style are seen as management material. John Terry will walk into a big management job for example. Or you could look at how often Bryan Robson got employed despite being consistently useless.

Britain generally has an anti-intellectual bent. I mean, we've had enough of experts, right?

An example of a top manager who didn't play at a particularly high level was Arsene Wenger. He had plenty of detractors in later years, but if most of us had had his career I think we would feel we'd been pretty successful. (But obviously he is not English)

Think you’re spot on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.